Missing modern feature of the X

None, missing "modern car" features, drive a modern car. The reasons to drive an exxe is for what the exxe does best, it's driving experience, not techno features... this includes cup holders and all that which has become central marketing features of many modern cars.

Bernice
? If they exxe had been designed today, it would include many of these things, likely ALL of them. Some people need to be in contact with the rest of the world, for whatever reason - sick relative, children, etc. But they shouldn’t do it hands-on, that’s unsafe. And they should be able to enjoy a fun driving experience as well. But you’re welcome to enjoy 1974 as it was :)

Apropos of nothing: the cassette tape deck that came installed on my car bit the dust during its (second) long hibernation in storage. I replaced it with a Bluetooth-capable modern head unit. And yet I'll be darned if I don't miss that old tape deck and the slight warble to the sound quality. Dylan just sounds a bit too clean/perfect when played from a smartphone.

Someone should make a "crappy cassette tape" sound filter for apps like Pandora/Spotify :D

Apropos of nothing: the cassette tape deck that came installed on my car bit the dust during its (second) long hibernation in storage. I replaced it with a Bluetooth-capable modern head unit. And yet I'll be darned if I don't miss that old tape deck and the slight warble to the sound quality. Dylan just sounds a bit too clean/perfect when played from a smartphone.

Someone should make a "crappy cassette tape" sound filter for apps like Pandora/Spotify :D
Like vinyl, cassette tapes have made a comeback. Supposedly, more cassette tapes were sold than CDs last year, although not as many as records. Vintage cassette machines have been going up in price as the only ones made now are pretty basic. I added Bluetooth to my 90s vintage cassette/CD/AM/FM radio. I started out streaming mostly through the Bluetooth but now I'm mostly listening to old cassettes.

🤔 nope. I don't miss any of that stuff.

1. Cup holders- my wife is the cup holder
2. Cruise control- can't accel & let off to get pops and bangs with cruise control
3. Navigation- We're men. We never need directions, because we always know the way. ( and if not my phone or wife fill this role)
4. Bluetooth for your phone- I have an open exhaust and open filter on my carb. What else do I need to hear ? 🤷‍♂️
5. ABS / crash avoidance- If I need "crash avoidance" then I shouldn't be driving. Its called "pay attention"
ABS? If your butthole doesn't pucker up atleast occasionally under hard braking or in the rain, whats the point? 🤷‍♂️

Basically I agree with Bernice but some modern features is good to have. Get a good phoneholder and you'll have all you need. I bought a tablet to display ECU information. But it also turned out to be a very good navigator, radio, music player, video player, web browser...
IMG_20200619_113543.jpg

Like vinyl, cassette tapes have made a comeback. Supposedly, more cassette tapes were sold than CDs last year, although not as many as records. Vintage cassette machines have been going up in price as the only ones made now are pretty basic. I added Bluetooth to my 90s vintage cassette/CD/AM/FM radio. I started out streaming mostly through the Bluetooth but now I'm mostly listening to old cassettes.
Vinyl records made a comeback many years ago, so I guess this latest wave is a comeback comeback? I wasn't aware cassettes were big again. Before we know it CD's will be popular again as a retro thing.

If home stereo reel to reel tape players ever come back, I still have a very high end unit with extremely little use on it. Also a quad stereo receiver. Finally got rid of the Betamax video machines though. But found a few new Beta tapes when cleaning out a closet.

Speaking of comebacks, I've noticed some interest in "ghetto blasters" and small portable TV's from the 70's.

Did you have to pay a subscription fee to use the live traffic feature?
I use the functionality built into the unit, no subscription necessary. It has an antenna that is part of the power adapter and gets really accurate traffic updates. Both units have a display to show you all of the traffic areas within a couple of hundred miles, which is nice. I really like the free map updates since most auto manufactures charge more than the cost of a GPS for the update...

Actually, open reel tape decks have made a comeback but it is a much smaller crowd as it was in the past. I just got done restoring 3 decks that used to belong to my brother. Two of them he bought in the 90s at a garage sale for $5.00 and $15.00, basically scrap iron value. On the used market today, they could fetch $1,000.

After not listening to open reel tapes in many years, I hooked up one of my decks about a year ago, and have been using them ever since. I've got about 300 reels of tape and the sound quality on most of them is as good as streaming mp3s.

I will say, there's not a single modern feature that I wish my X1/9 had. It being what it is, that's the whole point of the car.

Those who admit that need no any modern features:
1.does Your x have electrical windows?
2.does it have air conditioner?
3.does it have stock wheel size?
or improved brakes maybe?

I guess it has most likely.
And these are modern features that let You enjoy the car in a way You want it.

I wouldn’t mind a cupholder :D because when engine is warmed up and coffee is finished there is no place for it. It’s thermo mug, so bin is not the place.

I wouldn’t mind a cupholder :D because when engine is warmed up and coffee is finished there is no place for it. It’s thermo mug, so bin is not the place.

1. No, manual windows.
2. No. Neither of my Xs have AC.
3. Yes, both are stock or fairly stock wheel sizes. One has CD91s, the other has CD31s. One of them has a Wilwood Whoa brake kit on it though.

I've got about 300 reels of tape and the sound quality on most of them is as good as streaming mp3s.
Which isn’t saying much especially if it’s 64~128Kb quality. 320Kb is very close or indistinguishable from CD to many people

Which isn’t saying much especially if it’s 64~128Kb quality. 320Kb is very close or indistinguishable from CD to many people
If I make any mp3s, I use 320Kbps, but as storage has become cheap, I have gone to flac files. That way, they are as good as the wav files on a CD but about one third the size.

Reactions: NEG
With the convenience and commonality of downloading music from the net, I've been doing that even though the sound quality isn't good. I guess I'm not as particular about sound fidelity when listening to heavy metal music from the 80's.

Last edited:

Nope
Nope
Going back to 13s
Nope

...I didn't even have wiper arms or wiper blades on my X for several years. 100% street car only. Ask those who know me, and they'll confirm.

When I want A/C, power windows, cup holders, (and 507 hp) I drive my Mercedes. Dont want or need any of those things in my X. My X is what it is, that's the whole point.

Back