Missing modern feature of the X

Leg room as in being able to push the seat back further.
Fortunately/unfortunately I'm not tall enough to have this problem. But I've wondered if the fuel tank was relocated elsewhere, and the inner panel of that bulkhead removed, would that provide additional room for the seat to be mounted further back? Perhaps the shelf on top may also need to be modified?

Fortunately/unfortunately I'm not tall enough to have this problem. But I've wondered if the fuel tank was relocated elsewhere, and the inner panel of that bulkhead removed, would that provide additional room for the seat to be mounted further back? Perhaps the shelf on top may also need to be modified?

Removing the tank and cutting out the bulkhead can make it so you could put longer runners so the seat slides back further but the back of the seat would have to be in a straighter up position unless you cut the shelf under the rear window.
I did take the tank and bulk head out and thought about doing the seat adjust.
The spot gives storage space that I lost from batteries.

I guess collision avoidance is not all a bad thing as ecihen2 pointed out but then again it just makes stupid people stupider.

Dan I know what you mean about the mirrors. My eyes are very sensitive to bright light, and driving at night the rearview mirrors (all of them) are a real nuisance due to cars behind me.

For the inside mirror I appreciate the automatic dimming feature on my newer cars, but for my vintage cars I use a "day/night" flip inside mirror to allow manual control of it.

And for outside mirrors I like "remote power" ones, so I can tilt them down a little - just enough to get the headlights behind me out of direct view, but not so much as to not be able to see what's there. Although it would be nice to have power side mirrors on my vintage cars, they do not fit the 'vintage style' of most those cars. It would be nice if they made period correct style mirrors with power controls.
However if "automatic" outside mirrors existed (maybe they do on some new cars?) then that would be even better.

I did a 2 minute Google search and found out that a lot of the newest cars have autodimming side mirror(s) that are ganged to the operation of the main inside autodimming rear view mirror. The mirror glass has a electronically activated darkening component sandwiched between layers of glass that simply allows less light to pass thru to the reflective layer of the mirror. Seems to me that if a suitable shape could be found, it could easily be adapted to our existing side mirror(s), powered, and manually switched on/off.

I can't really think of any "modern" feature that I miss. I love the simplicity of the x.

Never used cruise control in any car I had it in, I can reach the passenger window crank and I never lock the doors. The brake feel to me is excellent and in panic stops, they have performed perfectly.

I do miss a passenger side mirror, but I guess that could be remedied. If I drove it in the rain, intermittent wipers would be a must.

The lack of modern features and electronic nanny devices was one of the main factors that led me to an x.

If I drove it in the rain, intermittent wipers would be a must.
VW's from the same era had an optional programmable intermittent wiper setup that was actually just a replacement relay. It is a direct plug-in replacement Bosch wiper relay that can be programmed for intermittent function. I've never tried plugging it into any other vehicle. I'd have to dig one out to see if it has the same prong/connection arrangement as the Fiat. On the VW's the standard single-function wiper control stalk (on the steering column) is retained, so that may not be an issue...not sure.

But frankly I'm more inclined to completely remove all of the wiper system on my X1/9's - simply don't need it.

VW's from the same era had an optional programmable intermittent wiper setup that was actually just a replacement relay. It is a direct plug-in replacement Bosch wiper relay that can be programmed for intermittent function. I've never tried plugging it into any other vehicle. I'd have to dig one out to see if it has the same prong/connection arrangement as the Fiat. On the VW's the standard single-function wiper control stalk (on the steering column) is retained, so that may not be an issue...not sure.

But frankly I'm more inclined to completely remove all of the wiper system on my X1/9's - simply don't need it.
I think they sold these for Volvos as well.

I miss no modern features on my 1979 X1/9. I like the manual transmission, manual climate control, manual headlights, manual locks, no auto start, no ABS, no cup holders and barely adjustable seats and steering wheel. It is certainly a different driving experience from cars in the 21st century and I relish the times I drive my X.

On other hand I have gotten quite spoiled with the heated seats and steering wheel on my 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk plus the automatic transmission, automatic climate control, auto on headlights, auto start, ABS, plenty of cup holders, adjustable seats and steering wheel and of course the 4 wheel-drive. It has been an excellent vehicle.

So, I take advantage of the features of both cars.:)

This has been done on an X, there was a lengthy thread around this subject a number of years ago one way was to use the VW relay. Simple and elegant approach from a user interface standpoint.

I do appreciate a good sound system, I really appreciate CarPlay and am retrofitting several of my cars with large screen systems (this is good for navigating, texts etc and really does help with distractions), heated seats (this is easily the best feature ever added to a car, likely to be added to my X, 124, Miata. Simple subtle and greatly improves cool weather experience which is prevalent here), faster wipers but this can be done with some judicious electrical manipulation, remote door locks is really nice to have and makes life much easier and reduces wear and tear on the cars hard to replace parts. I do like and use cruise control on all my cars that have it, it is convenient and keeps my speeds down in highly regulated areas...

I don’t miss ABS on the X (I do miss it on the Miata with its overboosted brakes), I don’t need self dimming mirrors, automatic climate control (the roof does come off, you can’t heat or air condition the great outdoors), I absolutely hate the lane monitoring system on our Jeep as it tends to follow the right line which means if they painted the right line to go into a turn it jerks the wheel hate it hate it hate it, I really don’t need a fully electronic cockpit like my Jeep where controls are layers deep etc. I can’t stand automatic transmissions.

So what will I be doing to my X, likely very little. Electronic locks and heated seats will likely suffice. Someday.

I love all of the luxury convienence options most new cars come with. But I'm not ready to spend a bunch of money to get them. Top of my options list would be the keyless door locks (don't even have to push a button, just keep a key fob in your pocket) and keyless push button starting. Next is Bluetooth radio/phone interface (but that's cheap and easy to add). Power windows are nice too, along with AC, love me some AC! But those are available on an X. Power seats and mirrors aren't high on my list because I rarely adjust them once they are set.
What I'm not sure of is all the "safety" nanny options that seem to be in vogue these days. I can understand the value of most of them - if you ever need them. But I think they allow folks to drive without paying attention. That's a bad thing. Maybe a car should "re-educate" a driver who was "driving" when a safety nanny function activated (panic stop for example) by shutting down completely and not allowing that person to drive again for, say, a week. Then folks would have some incentive to pay attention when they drive? Pay attention or don't drive!
Now, I would LOVE to have a few options on my truck/tow vehicle (I know, not an X, I digress) Invisible trailer, trailer tire pressure monitoring, kneeling down to hook up the trailer, auto trailer backup Those are the kinds of options that make me think about reaching for my wallet! (Until I see current truck prices!)

Used to be people knew how to drive their cars because the car didn't do anything you didn't tell it to do. Now any moron can drive a car because the car does everything for you. I'm with Ed, be happy everyone else is driving a nanny car. To me any classic Fiat is what I call an "involvement" car which requires your full attention and input. I also detect, generally, two groups of owners. One is like me that want to enjoy the moment of the experience and consider dual Webers the audio entertainment and don't drive in rain or at night so don't care about those items required to drive thusly. The other group likes to go places and maybe uses their X as a daily driver and would like some modern conveniences. There is a subset of the first group where we like to modify out Xs...usually to the point that they are almost useless for any decent length drive. Anyone who want more power should drive an early Miata. I swear my X has more torque.

Who knows, maybe the guys driving everywhere in their rusty, flat paint beaters are getting the most out of their Xs.

I'm still struggling with the idea of fitting a radio in my x19... Engine sound is music. Radio is... noise, especially when you leave your teenager choose the station!

For me, I did realize (before my commute to work was nicely reduced to walking to another room in the house most days) I like to catch the news in the morning & afternoon & for that a radio in the car is a decent thing. Great car audio for me seems a more apt thing for a vehicle that is as interesting to drive as doing laundry.

I love all of the luxury convienence options most new cars come with. But I'm not ready to spend a bunch of money to get them. Top of my options list would be the keyless door locks (don't even have to push a button, just keep a key fob in your pocket) and keyless push button starting. Next is Bluetooth radio/phone interface (but that's cheap and easy to add). Power windows are nice too, along with AC, love me some AC! But those are available on an X. Power seats and mirrors aren't high on my list because I rarely adjust them once they are set.
What I'm not sure of is all the "safety" nanny options that seem to be in vogue these days. I can understand the value of most of them - if you ever need them. But I think they allow folks to drive without paying attention. That's a bad thing. Maybe a car should "re-educate" a driver who was "driving" when a safety nanny function activated (panic stop for example) by shutting down completely and not allowing that person to drive again for, say, a week. Then folks would have some incentive to pay attention when they drive? Pay attention or don't drive!
Now, I would LOVE to have a few options on my truck/tow vehicle (I know, not an X, I digress) Invisible trailer, trailer tire pressure monitoring, kneeling down to hook up the trailer, auto trailer backup Those are the kinds of options that make me think about reaching for my wallet! (Until I see current truck prices!)

Mike,

I like your idea about shutting down the car if a safety nanny function is activated, but how about setting it into a reduced performance or "limp" mode? Cut the performance while they still get to use it might be even more annoying. Like having a parental lock on a cell phone that would block both sending and receiving texts.

I have become addicted to auto wipers and auto dim of headlights.

Odie
What do you drive with the auto wipers and headlights? We have a Ecosport with the auto wipers. I cant stand it. One second I'm on delay and going okay the next it acts like it doesnt know what a delay is with no change in the rain until I get fed up with it and turn them off. I drove a Ranger with both features 2 weekends ago. The auto dimming was cool until reflective interstate signs get it all confused.

Actually -the Alfa Romeo 4C as far as a modern car goes - satisfies most of these points - only one thing missing for me: although the DCT offers lightning fast shifts, I would absolutely prefer having a manual in that thing. I love the 4C :)

But, I love my X1/9 for what it is. No bluetooth? no problem - I'm connected to the car :)

What do you drive with the auto wipers and headlights? We have a Ecosport with the auto wipers. I cant stand it. One second I'm on delay and going okay the next it acts like it doesnt know what a delay is with no change in the rain until I get fed up with it and turn them off. I drove a Ranger with both features 2 weekends ago. The auto dimming was cool until reflective interstate signs get it all confused.
chrysler town and country. The Headlight part really helps in Da U.P. as driving in no where land for so long I often forget I have brights on. Our Son Went to northern so we went there quite a bit and usually hit the bridge at night.

Odie

Back