Monterey car week 2022

Ron Avery

True Classic
Even though I sold my X1/9 in Monterey I still had it entered in three different events spread over the week. the shows were in Pacific Grove on Ocean Avenue, when was the little car show on Wednesday in on Tuesday it was the welcome car show event put on by Hagerty and grass roots Motorsports. And Saturday was the CONCORSO ITALIANO with a 50th anniversary of the X1/9 8 cars were entered.
C492AE75-0075-4685-B67C-423813F57A70.jpeg
2ABF9844-68F3-4563-91B0-C6E0C0D0A13F.jpeg
884AECD8-AE93-4A36-BE3B-635BB29CC8C0.jpeg
470F5314-5676-4CC0-B69B-1247D0FD8BD9.jpeg
37D6F744-737A-462A-9927-ECB7989EF59F.jpeg
47FCC2F4-C53A-4EBC-8AB7-BD90C827BB71.jpeg
4C029173-9D1D-430C-8A17-C8F64A65CD41.jpeg
BFAE66D1-BF7E-4489-BC87-C0C319A8FE95.jpeg
24B6BDCF-C61E-4958-BAA6-94A5EEEAFC32.jpeg
8C219907-BB1B-43D7-8B40-33500A1F7CE1.jpeg
3D009B26-C5C8-43E3-880A-DB9C3FAB54FA.jpeg
65F88CD7-AC1A-4F21-9F96-BBAA35E449D6.jpeg
ED347142-5C3B-4744-B57B-4C7013090AF3.jpeg
2B06B2C9-6C76-42E6-BC58-897230AFF9CF.jpeg
B246E9D8-CB31-4748-81F4-09A52DB3EEB1.jpeg
D87D190A-EE31-4F58-AAF0-9AC3DA119D27.jpeg
26A5F64B-3379-48B5-BAC5-8C1E73FBCD88.jpeg
31D164DE-7E38-4469-B928-8BCBB2E298CE.jpeg
33C80439-9646-4F66-B458-AB5B6EA1842E.jpeg
4C688BCB-6E77-4265-8C8A-621431EC6971.jpeg
2D7F4470-C578-4C41-AA0D-747059851D48.jpeg
A162EF33-E52F-4868-98BC-10C3ECD28D57.jpeg
A470422C-245A-428C-8016-C8C35177EB36.jpeg

Last edited:
What I always enjoyed about the "welcome" show downtown was the lack of crowds. Most Monterey Week attendees do not show up until later in the week, but the "A-listers" are there all week. So at that show you can enjoy the cars without the crowds and chat with some well respected individuals that you usually would not run into like that. Very relaxed and enjoyable compared to the later events as the week progresses. However it has been a couple years since I've gone so things may have changed...was the welcome show very crowded? For that matter, were all of the events back up to their regular level following all of the COVID issues of the past couple years?

Concorso was a bit of a disappointment this year. Felt like fewer cars and vendors, and definitely fewer classic cars -- the show was dominated by late-model exotics. Good to see you there, Ron. Sorry again to hear about the failed head gasket on your sold X.

My highlight of the week was seeing the Autobianchini Runabout concept running and driving on the Pebble Beach tour after seeing it only in photos previously. The car then won its class at PB Concours on Sunday. This car was the inspiration for the X1/9.

IMG_2255.jpg
IMG_2338.jpg

I agree with the above comments, last year felt like is was 80%. This year there was even less vendors at the track and also at Corso Italiano . In fact the only were the vendors at the Concourse so we’re for Ferrari And maybe Lamborghini . I thought it was also a big misstep that the X1/9 50 th anniversary was not even mentioned at Concourse , and not one X1/9 was called up to the stand during the show for a highlight and conversation. And why is it that within the Fiat Lancia and Alfa Romeo groups no judging was held?

My highlight of the week was seeing the Autobianchini Runabout concept running and driving on the Pebble Beach tour after seeing it only in photos previously. The car then won its class at PB Concours on Sunday.
Thanks for the feedback.
I hadn't heard the outcome for the Runabout at PB, that's cool! And I wasn't aware it was going to participate in the "tour", also very cool. It didn't break down along the route? :p:D

I agree with the above comments, last year felt like is was 80%. This year there was even less vendors at the track and also at Corso Italiano . In fact the only were the vendors at the Concourse so we’re for Ferrari And maybe Lamborghini . I thought it was also a big misstep that the X1/9 50 th anniversary was not even mentioned at Concourse , and not one X1/9 was called up to the stand during the show for a highlight and conversation. And why is it that within the Fiat Lancia and Alfa Romeo groups no judging was held?
I was wondering about the attendance this year, following the slow prior years with COVID. Considering that reservations and ticket purchases need to be made so far in advance, I think a lot of people were still reluctant to attend a major event back then - in preparation for this year.
I'm sensing the same may happen at SEMA / AAPEX this November. Last year those shows were dead following the previous cancellation. And a lot of vendors lost a ton of money as a result. I have a feeling that made them reluctant to invest in this year's event, as it also requires a early commitment.

I agree, that's a real shame the X wasn't even mentioned at Concorso. Wasn't it a featured model this year?

I was told that Concorso planning didn't get underway until July this year, hence the disorganization. Wonder if the show's owner is getting older and hoping for a Hagerty buyout?

I was wondering about the attendance this year, following the slow prior years with COVID. Considering that reservations and ticket purchases need to be made so far in advance, I think a lot of people were still reluctant to attend a major event back then - in preparation for this year.
I'm sensing the same may happen at SEMA / AAPEX this November. Last year those shows were dead following the previous cancellation. And a lot of vendors lost a ton of money as a result. I have a feeling that made them reluctant to invest in this year's event, as it also requires a early commitment.

I agree, that's a real shame the X wasn't even mentioned at Concorso. Wasn't it a featured model this year?
Yes it was the featured car (50th anniversary of its introduction ). I have attended this show with Alfa’s,Ferrari’s,and now the X1/9. Back in the 1990’s and 2000’s , Keith Martin Was the MC. And would select cars to drive up to the stage during the show. So he could talk to the owners and highlight there cars. No none of my cars were ever selected. But there was an attempt to cover a wide verity of cars. There was also judging of more types of cars on the day. Now if you don’t have a $800,000+ vehicale, for get about any recognition whatsoever!

Yes it was the featured car (50th anniversary of its introduction ). I have attended this show with Alfa’s,Ferrari’s,and now the X1/9. Back in the 1990’s and 2000’s , Keith Martin Was the MC. And would select cars to drive up to the stage during the show. So he could talk to the owners and highlight there cars. No none of my cars were ever selected. But there was an attempt to cover a wide verity of cars. There was also judging of more types of cars on the day. Now if you don’t have a $800,000+ vehicale, for get about any recognition whatsoever!
Ya, I remember the old days and how the show has changed in more recent years. I think a lot of this reflects the way the entire Monterey Week has moved away from automobiles and toward people, as in a social event more than a car show.

CI did not celebrate the 50 year X1/9 anniversary this year. I spoke with the event owner Friday afternoon, and he confirmed that they will be doing it in 2023. So if you want to show your car for the CI 50 year celebration, sign up for the 2023 event.

Depending on the amount of signed up cars, they will later decide if the X will be in a special spot on the field, or just mixed in with the Fiats as before.

CI does NOT pick the cars to go across the stage. That is done by the club representatives. Since Fiat America is in charge of the Fiat display, they pick the cars they want to go up. This year it was a Fiat Dino, a Fiat Campagnolo, and my apologies that I did not catch the third car.

I also saw the Runabout go across the stage at Pebble, on their video broadcast from the comfort of my office. The commentator did say that for a generation of folks like him, that this is the car that inspired the X1/9. A very good plug!

Well it was nice for the CI organization, to let all the X1/9 owners, enough in advance, that this was not the year.
So we could decide to bring our cars this year or next. It was a well known fact, that it was the 50th of the x1/9.
And CI was highlighting that, this year. It feels like CI is a ship with no ruder. I also don’t understand why CI does not incentivize venders to show up. We are involved in the Triumph club Triumphest once a year event. And we are working with venders, so they can show up, and have a good event

Ron,
When I asked CI about the 50 year X1/9 event back months ago, they felt that most folks in North America did not realize the X1/9 was introduced 50 years ago, and instead will base it on the very late 1973 North American introduction. Makes sense to me, as I was having a hard time adding up 50 years as it was.
For me, even waiting for 2024 would work just fine.

As for vendors, 2022 was only the second time I have attended the event as an exhibitor, unless you count the first two years the Maserati club allowed non Maserati cars in. Since then I have only attended as a vendor, sometimes dragging a car (or two) along to show without being there with it. Being a vendor at any event is a lot of work, and we have recently appreciated the fact that we are not sitting in the truck having folks from all over the world breathing on us. Vending at CI is a very expensive day. The year before covid sales were so bad it did not cover my real costs. The buyers have changed, once again. It's difficult to predict what exhibitors and guests will be willing to part with their cash for.

If you feel CI is an event without a rudder please realize that the person who previously made it all happen did not survive the pandemic. I am sure that if you wanted to step into that volunteer position that you would be welcomed!
I would welcome any incentives to again show up as a vendor once this pandemic is nipped in the bud.

Johnnyx was kind enough to give me his CI ticket when he could not go. I'll be posting some of the photos that I took from that event here:

First up: A Lamborghini with a custom wrap. Looks a little subtle to me, perhaps more pink would be in order.

Attachments

• l1.jpg
    l1.jpg
    458.2 KB · Views: 81
  • l2.jpg
    l2.jpg
    460.8 KB · Views: 86
Concorso was a bit of a disappointment this year. Felt like fewer cars and vendors, and definitely fewer classic cars -- the show was dominated by late-model exotics. Good to see you there, Ron. Sorry again to hear about the failed head gasket on your sold X.

My highlight of the week was seeing the Autobianchini Runabout concept running and driving on the Pebble Beach tour after seeing it only in photos previously. The car then won its class at PB Concours on Sunday. This car was the inspiration for the X1/9.

View attachment 65232View attachment 65233
Thanks for posting the pix! Please post any more of the Runabout that you might have from PB :)

Would you or anyone else happen to be able to individually identify the persons in the pic doing the judging? According to the PB website, here is the roster*** of the Team doing the L2 Postwar Preservation class, in which the Runabout was entered.:

Chief Class Judge
Peter Hageman, Kirkland, Washington

Team Judges
Scott Grundfor, Arroyo Grande, California
Leigh Keno, New York, New York
Simon Kidston, Geneva, Switzerland
Dirk Layer, Solvang, California
Daniel Sielecki, Buenos Aires, Argentina

***Unfortunately the PB website does not specifically say that this is the 2022 roster, so keep that in mind.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting the pix! Please post any more of the Runabout that you might have from PB :)

Would you or anyone else happen to be able to individually identify the persons in the pic doing the judging? According to the PB website, here is the roster*** of the Team doing the L2 Postwar Preservation class, in which the Runabout was entered.:

Chief Class Judge
Peter Hageman, Kirkland, Washington

Team Judges
Scott Grundfor, Arroyo Grande, California
Leigh Keno, New York, New York
Simon Kidston, Geneva, Switzerland
Dirk Layer, Solvang, California
Daniel Sielecki, Buenos Aires, Argentina

***Unfortunately the PB website does not specifically say that this is the 2022 roster, so keep that in mind.
Simon Kidston is the tallest one in a blue jacket on the far side of the car holding a pencil in one hand and a clipboard in the other. I did not see Leigh Keno there and I wouldn't be able to recognize the others.

One feature I didn't realize this concept had was storage for the spare tire underneath the nose. A panel is removed, exposing the spare.

Back