Monza style gas filler?

carl

True Classic
Anyone make a Monza style flip up gas cap that is not terribly involved to install on a later style X gas neck? I know that BAT sells a lot of them but not aware of any that would be simple to install. Not ready to reinvent something that may have already been done.

Anyone make a Monza style flip up gas cap that is not terribly involved to install on a later style X gas neck? I know that BAT sells a lot of them but not aware of any that would be simple to install. Not ready to reinvent something that may have already been done.
Pic of said cap, style?

Due to the location of the filler, I feel it would be a pain in the ass to fill up, and the cool factor would go un-noticed because its hidden, would look good on a spider though. https://vintagespareparts.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=329
2.5%20Monza%20Alloy%20Petrol%20Tank%20Fuel%20Flip%20Cap%20With%20Filler%20Neck%20Cafe%20Racer%20AJS%20BSA%20usd%2055%20+%2015%20(4)-500x500.JPG

The late Abarth Berlina Corsas had them like in this pic. You'd probably want a pan right below it to catch spills like that. Great for racing but not sure it's a great idea for street use? Actually, I can't recall ever seeing one on a street car. It's been a very long time since I've had an X1/9 and don't know how you'd do it on one.

ABA%202058_abarth_fuel_tank.jpg

I have never seen one on an X either, that's why I asked. Cool factor is always present with one of these caps but as noted, the area around the stock cap is tight.

You might look at the flip up style cap on a Triumph. I have a TR6 (long story) and it has one. They made lots of TR6's. Not sure if it would fit but it's an avenue to explore and should be easy to find

You might look at the flip up style cap on a Triumph.
Funny you mention that. I have a flip cap off an old Triumph TR6 that I'd like to install on one of my X's. I played around with it some. This one has a metal neck that sticks down and allows a simple hose connection to attach it to the stock filler tube, just like the stock cap is. But the stock location isn't good for a couple reasons. The biggest being it is too close to the sail pillar and rear glass to allow the top to flip open far enough. If you rotate it enough it will open more, but then it looks worse. So I decided if I want to use it then I'll modify the filler tube arrangement to relocate the cap a couple inches further back. That would also improve the visibility factor of it. I bought some miscellaneous filler hoses from other models with odd bends and lengths, just to play around with. But haven't done too much with it yet. If you have the early style engine lid with the plastic side covers, then you will have to move the hole for the cap. I haven't looked at the later style engine cover to see what would be necessary (although mine is a later car, I'm using the early type cover).

Another possible issue is the cap I have (TR6) tended to leak even back then. So I'm sure it will here also. But I figure that will be a drop in the ocean of oil leaks that are typical of these engines. May even help clean up after those leaks (automatic degreaser dispenser). :oops:

Reactions: geo
Thanks Geo, I knew someone somewhere has done it. The functionality is a concern and if you have to manipulate it after opening then that seems like a pain. Could you give us more details on which cap it is and what you had to do to install it?

a standard type cap under the flip lid
That's interesting. Should leak a whole lot less than the regular "Monza" style ones. And certainly better that the old Triumph one I have; the "seal" on it is just a flat piece of rubber across the top that is supposed to contact the neck when the cap is closed. But with the cap being hinged it tends to contact much more on one half than the other, allowing leakage. However I also paid $5 for it, a fraction of what the new ones go for. I'll have to see if mine is large enough to modify so it fits over a regular cap. Not sure if that's getting into the realm of those "fake" gas filler covers?:
s-l640.jpg

I also have one of the "winged" handle chrome Fiat caps that is a direct replacement for the stock cap, so it would be a whole lot easier to use instead.
s-l1600.jpg

The "outlaw" car has a small fuel cell mounted in the frunk, so possibly the 'flip top cap' could be mounted to it like the vintage Porsche racers had - sticking through the hood:
PB0700111313036740.jpg
singer_630.jpg

But have you seen the price? About the total value if my X. :p

I had a '64 Corvette Coupe with a flip top filler, the filler neck was larger than usual.
Might be big enough to go over the X filler cap. Don't have one to measure. Probably not cheap.
EDIT: Thought a little more about this, I think it actually had a cap under the flip top.

Last edited:
I'm not into American vehicles in general, and certainly not muscle cars, so I know very little about their details. Therefore I might be completely wrong, but I think I have an general idea what the Corvette cap looked like. As with the other American models that had flip caps, they tended to be very different looking from the traditional European styles.

Moving the filler neck location to accommodate a flip cap is certainly one custom modification option but currently don't have the mental energy to figure it out.

Just to add to the idea pool, not saying it's the right application: google "marine flip fuel cap" and you'll find other varieties. I did a bunch of work to retrofit one onto a guys motorcycle tank (cafe racer thing). The fun part was that the cap was not vented so I expended too much mental energy (and shop time) to convert it to a vented cap with internal routing of the vent line.

Back