More pet threads?

ok, one of my dogs...

Here's the wife handling our old Mastiff 'Ian', Crestwoods Righteous Rebellion, in the show ring. For those that are curious, he's about 225lbs in the picture, which isn't necessarily 'huge' for an adult male of this breed. (They took Best of Breed that day...)

CCI00000.jpg

Of Spanish Prisoner fame...

and a singer too. Yeah she sure looks like her.

Just watched her in something where she was totally wasted in some stupid peripheral role(oh yeah, The Lodger). Mamet wrote a play specifically for her but I can't remember the name now.

Because owners look like their dogs...

and we have established that your wife does not, in fact, look like your dog but like David Mamet's wife, this can only mean you look like your dog -how much do you weigh?:D:D

Mx5 meet Sampson

He is 11 years old and one of my favorite dogs that's not mine. He will lean on you while you are walking and he "talks" like a Husky does.

downsized_03170107291.jpg

Got more than a few, but these are the ones that I can post right now. For the rest of the dogs and sheep, I'll have to take more/better pics and get them uploaded...
Mama (Cayanne) with her pups when they were only about a week or two old...
DKM_6241-a.jpg

The young pups at play indoors...
DKM_6319-a.jpg

Two lambs with two sheep in the background - only a few of MANY!
DKM_6271-a.jpg

Me with "Dave puppy." Unfortunately he suffered a broken leg and we had to release him to the humane society. There are quite a few people already interested in him (not even been a week yet!) as soon as his injury is healed!
DKM_6340-a.jpg

One of the kids playing with the puppies in the front yard....
DKM_6476-a.jpg

"Flower" (adopted by a friend of mine) playing with my youngest....
DKM_6489-a.jpg

More front yard play...
DKM_6478-a.jpg

And this is Pyxie playing on the beach below our house with the girls in the background. Pyxie is the only one left and was the first one claimed - by my girlfriend's mom...
DKM_6598-a.jpg

Hopefully soon, I'll have more of the adult dogs to post. They're all adoptable!

He is 11 years old and one of my favorite dogs that's not mine. He will lean on you while you are walking and he "talks" like a Husky does.

We got started on mastiffs by a dog that wasn't ours. I had a good friend from junior high that I went and visited right after he got married and bought a place. He said he was thinking about an Akita, because he wanted a big dog. I told him to look into Mastiff's if he wanted big. I was half joking because I'd never been around any except a smaller female Neapolitan Mastiff when we lived in Italy. A few months later he'd been out to a Mastiff breeders place and was waiting on a puppy. About 2 years later I was at his place in DC again and was totally impressed with his female mastiff. As soon as my wife and I bought a house with a yard, we started our hunt for a male we liked, and started checking out the females he was going to be bred with that year.

My wife has been blonde for several years now. (clairol's Perfect10 9A Light Ash Blonde... and so you can get your miata owner jokes going, yes, I apply it for her!) I don't see it, but several women have told her "You look just like that gal from Grey's Anatomy.... Katherine Heigl!" I've even been there when that went down with a checker at a store or something. I see the Rebecca Pidgeon thing much more. (I'd never noticed it myself!)

Without googling a bunch, I don't know if the 'dog' in the story is called a mastiff, or just described as one. Seems like it would have to be something like a mastiff, because frankly smaller dogs have trouble killing an adult human one on one. As mean as an adult pitbull can be, a single dog usually can't kill an adult human... sure, they can tear you up like a chainsaw, but it usually several pitt bulls when it's a healthy adult that gets killed.

But I'll tell you what, the difference with an animal like a mastiff if it was truly trying to kill you would be terrifying. I was playing with the dog in the picture when he was about 160 pounds... still a wee pup. And while I tried to hide a toy against my chest, with my head tipped forward... Ian was behind me trying to get to the toy, and out of frustration, grabbed me by the head!

Yep, lower canines on one side of my head, upper canines on the other side. I'd never had my head fit inside a dogs mouth before. So I gave him the toy. Smaller dogs grab you by the forearm, or the calf/ankle... and mastiff breeds can grab you by any part of your body they want. (this would include St. Bernard and GreatDanes) And I can also tell you when a 200+ pound dogs hits you below the waist, you're going down as if clipped by a linebacker. They have 4 feet planted and you don't... you're going to loose. Luckily most mastiff breeders have been VERY conscious of breeding real aggression out of the breed. Finding a really mean one is basically impossible.

Bullmastiffs are a different story agression wise. Some Bullmastiff bloodlines are still a bit agressive, especially towards other dogs. They were originally bred to kill a poachers dogs after all. (and be able to take down the poacher as well.) Almost any hunting dog could keep away from a pure mastiff... they aren't quick by any means. Bullmastiffs were bred back down sizewise to get some functional skills that the oversized giant breed had lost.

Last edited:
There's one that's already been, uh, "earmarked" for exactly that! Butcher should be out during the summer for one of the younger ones. And we try to make sure that EVERY part gets used....

Yep, lower canines on one side of my head, upper canines on the other side. I'd never had my head fit inside a dogs mouth before. So I gave him the toy.

Impressive decision-making skillz, lol!

Back