Moretti Sportiva 850 Passenger Door Window Glass

Jeff Stich

True Classic
Original passenger-side door roll-up window glass for a Moretti Sportiva 850. This was a spare window for a friends Moretti; he sold the car 25+ years ago, but this window got left behind & was just "discovered" while we were clearing out his storage shed last week.

Glass is in good condition overall, but does have some light swirl-scratches towards the lower rear a couple of inches from the bottom (they're near-impossible for me to photograph - see last photo below for my best attempt).

morettiglass3.jpg morettiglass1.jpg morettiglass2.jpg morettiglass4.jpg morettiglass5.jpg

$300 + shipping from 92860 (in-person pick up or local delivery also available), payment via Paypal preferred, thanks,
;)

Is this for the early Sportiva with the glass just kinda hanging in the breeze, or the later with a metal surround that is part of the door to hold it in place?
Not just asking because I know the differences, but because I may be interested.

The owner of the glass says it came as a spare with his car, which was the model that has the metal frame (surround) as part of the door, like what's shown in this Moretti parts book:

Moretti06a.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the information. It's a rare piece as only the last few cars imported had the door glass upgrade. I think all second series cars have this style glass, so you might want to try advertising it out of the country. Won't be a huge demand, as I was told the upgrade prevents the glass from easily breaking.

Even better would be to trace it and send the tracing to my po box so I can lay it on an early glass sample.

If you can email or PM your mailing address, I can get a tracing mailed to you tomorrow (Saturday).

Last edited:
It was there on Thursday. When I can I will get the Sportiva glass out of storage and compare...
So much to do, so little time.

Jeff,

I am so sorry to hang you up for so long on answering this thread. As most folks know, I am very busy every day operating my mail order business, my service/restoration business, and doing property maintenance. At least since the covid outbreak we have closed the B&B!

This afternoon, after a weekend of property maintenance, I finally had the time to go over to the Sportiva I have in storage, and remove the right door glass. Please understand that I now have many hours in this project that I could have spent doing receiving for the mail order business. Or working on a restoration. All just so both of us, and any other Sportiva owners out there, will know the difference in door glass for these very rare cars.
I show 28 cars were officially imported into North America, and I also have one that was a self import. Hearsay is that two of the 28 have the door glass in the frame, the other 26 were loose glass.
According to my interview with the Moretti brothers years ago, they felt they made about 300 of all the Sportiva series for the world wide market, but could not remember how many of the cars that you and I know as a "Sportiva" were actually made. And they could not say how many had the "loose" glass.
They also made a couple of the "T" top cars, so all bets on the door glass size for those is off, as I have no samples.
And since I don't have a second series car, with the upright headlamps, I can't say if your glass would fit one of those.

Here is the photo I took today. Please note that your paper tracing (thank you very much for sending it!) is wrapped and taped on the back side to my early glass. I have aligned the top and front lines with my glass sample. Your tracing used a black sharpie, mine an orange.

right door glass comparison.jpg

As you can see the rear part of the early glass (at the top of the inserted picture) is 5 mm longer than the late glass you have.
The bottom (to the left) is 6 mm taller than your glass, and the front is 9 mm taller than yours.
Also you should note that the forward lower corner is a different shape.

I have no idea is your glass could be shimmed to fit what is obviously (to me) a larger distance on the early cars between the vertical channels. Or if the total height, or the different front lower corner, would be an issue.

Again, my apologies for taking so long in getting to this project..
And since all of my cars are "loose" glass models, I have no interest in buying your glass just so I can store it.

I am off to go put my Sportiva back into storage...

Last edited:
Your photo is too small for me to see any detail differences between the tracing & your glass, but I'll take your word for it that they're indeed different.

For further clarification to others, the passenger-side window glass that I have is for the 850 Sportivas that have a chrome frame support attached to the door that runs along the top & rear edge of the glass, as shown on these examples:

gk850sportiva.jpg 850sportivabrochure.jpg 850sportivapsframe1.jpg 850sportivapsframe2.jpg

Jeff,
I apologize for the way the forum loaded the picture, and it's size.
I have just sent the full sized picture I have in my file directly to your email address. Hopefully it can be blown up to the size you want?

Back