Mouse proof?

budgetzagato

Administrator
One thing I try to do to all of my cars is mouse proofing, since I live in the country. My Scorpion gets to park in the garage, but even so there are occasionally opportunities for mice to get in. Often easier said than done, as most cars have many hidden openings, and mice are very flexible and generally can get though a hole that's larger than 1/4".

I used 1/4" galvanized wire mesh and screened off the heater inlet duct under the rain cover in the cowl area like this:

IMG_1055.jpg

I would love to hear from anyone who knows of other places mice can get into these cars.

yup

pull back your carpet in the trunk and have a look where the A/C goes. Don't cover your car either and get a sonic sound maker in the garage. If you do have mice around, covering the car will bring them in your car within a week. (at least that's what happened to me)

Warren

Drafty spot...

That opening is a source of a cool draft and so I've covered it with self-adhesive window flashing tape used in construction. The A/C hose will soon be removed anyway.

Thanks for the tip!

spread peppermint oil and cayenne pepper powder in trunks, engine compartment, and in passenger compartment. Mice hate the strong smells and will stay away.

I prefer the Caddy Shack approach

I have experienced mouse damage twice to the generator in our RV and the RV interior.:sigh:
Every vehicle that I own except for an ATV and a dirt bike has had mouse damage ranging from minor to several thousand dollars of damage.:wall: In an attempt to control the varmints, I use sonic devices, Bar Bait and Decon. Lately, I’m finding a lot of dead mice with poison symptoms.:D My war is far from over, and before the Trailer Queen arrives I will have an electric barrier surrounding the car that is similar to those that are seen in old prison movies, but scaled down to rodent size felons.:devil:
My path to controlling mice is as follows:
Before the Queen arrives, my 40’ x 40’ shop will be clean with with nothing on the floor.
Currently, Decon and Bar Bait are under work benches and near all doors. The poison near the doors is contained in a wire mesh enclosure to keep bird dogs from getting to the stuff. I have put Bar Bait and Decon inside all RV compartments and exterior ledges leading to the compartments. The reason for both Bar Bait and Decon is because I have been told that it is possible for a mouse to eat enough of either poison to not die, but enough to make the off spring immune. So far, the sonic devices have not worked and recently I have been told that they must be at floor level for best effect.
I am looking for a tightly sealed trailer that the Queen can reside in, but until then there will be a 220v grate with alternating ground and hot panels surrounding the Queen. And at all 4 corners of the electric barrier, there will be sonic repellers at ground level. And last but not least Decon and Bar Bait accessible to any mouse with and interest in the Queen.

The Car Capsule

Has possibilities. I have a call in to see if they have a size for the Trailer Queen. According to a spec sheet the car w/1986 bumpers is a shade over 13 feet. It looks as if they have a size for a Lancia, what say ye Gregory?

Well...

My garage is mouse free so far, it's been 11 years and no mice have gotten in. So this is more about when it's parked outside which is very rare.

My experience is that it can take very little time for a mouse or some other rodent to pack an area full of nuts or seeds or make a nest. I had one fill the battery box of my 850 when we bought our property. In one afternoon.

I think their 14 Ft. model will do it...

Looks like money well spent -provided the critters you have running around out there don't like vinyl! :D

well, ya never know about critters. I have had a a few woodpeckers peck through the aluminum soffits and mice are truly amazing. When the car Capsule folks return my call, the first question that I will ask is about mice and their product.

Did someone say Caddyshack?

Embedding denied!!!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bv87T1CQF8E"]Caddyshack Clip - License to kill gophers - YouTube[/ame]

That's what I have felt like when battling the mice.
whitespy, Thanks for the link to Carcapsul, I'm going to give it a try.

NP your welcome

with that system there is NO way the little things in life can get it in, and the cool thing is that it doesen't take allot of power.

Warren

When the power went out

has been a big problem. I have lost freezer content in shop and house more than once. I now have an alarm system that notifies Mouse Busters and the power company and they come a runn'n.

The answer to the power problem

Imagine:
No power needed
No heat needed.
No bait or sonic repellant needed.
Water and dust proof.
Mouse proof, cat proof, dog proof, cow and bull proof... :grin:
And it's portable and (relatively) light weight... :bla:

myxintrailersmvq5.jpg

Condensation?

Bod, did you ever have a problem with condensation in the trailer?

I ask because we did when we had a portable metal storage unit when we first moved here to our property. It actually rained inside on occasion, which caused a lot of damage and grief.

Never had issues with condensation

BUT, (must say) when I opened the door during the winter months, when there was snow on the ground, I noticed the brake rotors would get a light "frost" (rust!) on them, so I stopped doing that and started putting silicone desiccate and a large dry cotton comforter in there to attract and hold moisture. Never had frost on the rotors after that.

You might say, my former Trailer Queen was all tucked in with it's "blankee" for the winter. :grin:

I've never had condensation issues otherwise because I ordered a solid top trailer with no vents. Whatever air gets in has to get by the door seals.

I don't know if you can truly seal off every entrance. One idea is to put a roll of toilet paper on the floor and also in the trunk. If the mouse gets in it will likely build its house with the toilet paper as it is easier to use than the carpeting or padding. It also lets you know that the mouse is there as you can see the damage to the roll of paper.

As for wiring damage you can use a different electrical tape that will stop them from eating its insulation. Honda makes a tape that is made with capsicum (peppers). It was designed to stop rodents from eating wiring. If you have a recurring problem you can repair the harness with this tape from your local Honda dealer.

>Scott

Back