Mouse proof?

I have personally seen...

...mice make nests out of mothballs....then raise families in them.

Mothballs corrode electrical connections

Something you want to consider, as the "fumes" emitted cause
corrosion on the open-faces of the spade connections.
I used to use them, then switched to dryer softening sheets.

You could try...

a simple farmer's mouse trap. These were highly effective in the barn or near the corn cribs.

You can find numerous variations of this design by doing a search for "farmer's mouse trap" or "bucket mouse trap" on the internet. All you need is a 5 gallon bucket, a piece of wire coat hanger, a tin can, a piece of wood, and some peanut butter.

Take the wire coat hanger and cut the long, straight piece off the bottom. Just below the rim of the bucket, drill two holes, just large enough for the coat hanger wire to fit through, directly opposite of each other. Also drill two holes in the tin can, one centered on the top and the other centered on the bottom. Feed the wire through one hole in the bucket then through the tin can and then through the hole on the other side of the bucket. Bend the wire at each end so that it is fixed in the bucket. The tin can should spin freely on the wire. Fill the bucket half way with water. Spread some peanut butter all around the middle of the can. Place the bucket in a corner of your garage and lean the piece of wood from the rim to the floor creating a ramp. Optionally, you could use two ramps if you want depending on space available.

This trap doesn't have to be checked every day like snap-traps do. It will catch numerous mice before needing to be emptied. You can also use this type of trap without the water but then you might have live mice to dispose of as opposed to drowned ones.

If you are also using poison bait, this trap is doubly effective because the mice will go for the water after ingesting the poison.

Frabric softener sheets

Someone told me to use fabric softener sheets. The rodents don't like the smell and it will make you car smell a little 'fresher'. Worked during my first part of my depolyment - the car sat for 6 months. Let's see when I get back.

I was also told 'plug' up the exhaust pipes so the critters don't go in from that end. I did not do that.

I also throw a cover over to protect it from daccidental dings, though some one mentioned this will attract the rodent.

Back