Muffler rattle

Mike Schofield

True Classic
Ok, I’ve been chasing this annoying rattle pretty much all summer. Well, today I finally figured it out!
It’s coming from the muffler itself! It’s like a tin can rattle. To me it seems the outer skin is “loose” and at certain rpm it rattles like a sob!
Anyone else have this problem? This is a piece provided by one of our vendors...
I thought maybe because it’s connected solidly to the header that it’s under too much vibration...
Any tips or should I abandon it and start fresh with a new muffler??
I’ve always been a fan of flowmasters..
E38D89A4-4800-4D84-80A3-1384C22B4DCD.jpeg

Ok, I’ve been chasing this annoying rattle pretty much all summer. Well, today I finally figured it out!
It’s coming from the muffler itself! It’s like a tin can rattle. To me it seems the outer skin is “loose” and at certain rpm it rattles like a sob!
Anyone else have this problem? This is a piece provided by one of our vendors...
I thought maybe because it’s connected solidly to the header that it’s under too much vibration...
Any tips or should I abandon it and start fresh with a new muffler??
I’ve always been a fan of flowmasters..
View attachment 36399

We have our second Dynomax on the 600. The first one came apart (inside came loose and rattled) and then we accidentally dragged it a bit and the seam split. Bought a Flowmaster that was good quality but too loud for SCCA sound check.
Back to another Dynomax, hope it will stay together.
Edit: If there's no warranty you might cut it open and see if you can fix it but it's probably not worth the effort unless you are really looking for something to do.

Last edited:
Oh man... I had a CSC muffler that did that and I fought with CSC plus the vendor who sold it to me for about a year. If you search for it on this forum I am sure you can find it.

The rattle on mine came from some hard insulation material that had broke down inside the muffler itself. Before the reseller cut it open, I thought it was baffles that had separated from the outside case but that was not what happened. Unless you have the ability to open and then reseal the muffler you might as well save yourself a massive amount of frustration and just swap it out.

Good luck!
Ed

I run generic "turbo" muffler hooked up to my header. They come in all different sizes and inlet/outlet sizes and since they are not SS or gold plated they are pretty cheap. Got it from Summit Racing.

On regular mufflers, the rattle usualy came from the springs. Is this possible one of your springs could not be in tension and is shaking?

The factory original muffler on my X had the same problem. It turned out to be an internal baffle that got loose. It would resonate at certain engine speeds and be incredibly annoying. I put up with it for a while and ended up using it as a good excuse to get headers and a new exhaust system. The muffler I am currently using is a 14" Thrush "Turbo" style muffler. Got it on sale at Pep Boys for under $20. Basically a clone of the old Corvair turbo muffler that came with my headers and exhaust 40+ years ago.

Back