Mushy Brakes

Status
Not open for further replies.

User1

RETIRED Admin, pm OFF
<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=2><TABLE width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-TOP: 4px" vAlign=top colSpan=2>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Mushy Brakes<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]August 25 2001 at 6:02 PM[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "d";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "i";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "s";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "r";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "i";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "i";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "y";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "t"; document.write("Daniel Sartin"); // --> </SCRIPT>Daniel Sartin <NOSCRIPT> Daniel Sartin </NOSCRIPT> [/FONT]</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=bottom colSpan=3><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Group,

I have a bit of a dilema on my hands which I hope someone can assist me with. The brakes on my '87 don't feel very substantial. I have replaced the rear calipers, rotors, and pads. I have bled the rear brakes, but the car sat for anout 9 months before I bought it. Should I flush the whole system and refill with new DOT 3 brake fluid? The car seems hard to get into gear at times also clutch seems to slip. I'll try to describe the problem in some depth.
When I depress the clutch, First gear is notchy. Going into second, it grinds sometimes (if I hold in the clutch pedal for a few seconds it doesn't grind?). Fast Second to Third shifts seem to make the clutch slip. Fourth is fine, and when I engage into 5th It sounds like the shift rod is hitting the shift tunnel where the rod comes out of the shift tunnel. Is this normal if the shifter is out of adjustment, or is there something in it messed up? As for the transmission is the clutch just out of adjustment, or is are the syncros going out? It never jumps out of any gear. I have a transmission out of a '85 with 40K miles on it ready to go in it if needed. Any help with any of this will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, alot!!!!!!!!!!

Daniel Sartin
Sutton, WV
'87 Bertone X1/9
(68k AND DOWN FOR A TOP END REBUILD)<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial] [/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]
closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Author[/FONT]</TD><TD>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Reply[/FONT]</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "i";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "p";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "b";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "t"; document.write("Tony Natoli"); // --> </SCRIPT>Tony Natoli <NOSCRIPT> Tony Natoli </NOSCRIPT>[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Sounds more like a failing M/C... than a "dilemma".<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]August 25 2001, 8:17 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->You seem to have danced all around it... now go spend the 5 bucks and several hours to rebuild it.

While yer at it, ya might as well do the clutch M/C also.

But there appears to be multiple problems with the trans along with a slipping clutch. As Steve H for details... but I would change out the clutch, rebuild all the M/Cs and clutch slave and clean, refill and bleed them all.

Install the other trans ans ship this one to Steve to perform some magic.

BTW, I just installed 2 1/3 liters of REDLINE transaxle fluid instead of the SAE 80 that was in there... Drives like a WHOLE new car. Thanks to Gilles de Prevousin for that 20 dollar tip!

Best Regards,

Tony Natoli, Two '79s, WHITE FANG and BLACK TOOTH
Santa Clarita, CA, http://americanx19.tripod.com/owner.htm<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial] [/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]
closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "m";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "s";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "x";n54_em = n54_em + "1";n54_em = n54_em + "9";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "r";n54_em = n54_em + "g"; document.write("Mac"); // --> </SCRIPT>Mac <NOSCRIPT> Mac </NOSCRIPT>[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Hi Daniel!<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]August 26 2001, 10:07 AM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Daniel Sartin wrote:
I have a bit of a dilema on my hands which I hope someone can assist me with. The brakes on my '87 don't feel very substantial. I have replaced the rear calipers, rotors, and pads. I have bled the rear brakes, but the car sat for anout 9 months before I bought it. Should I flush the whole system and refill with new DOT 3 brake fluid?

Hi Daniel! I would suggest that you examine thoroughly the remainder of brake and clutch systems' items (ie: front calps, brake master, clutch master & slave and, above all for squishy brakes, all rubber lines!) for any poor seal, dryrot or bloat etc. If popping a few bucks is not a problem, I would just replace all the rubber lines as a matter of course. These are notorious for (when they get used up) bloating and generally having a heavy influence on the squish factor). Apart from that just use good judgement as you go - like if the slave cylinder wall looks grody, just replace it. I know many folks rebuild them, but I just swap it out - out of the box units are not that expensive last time I checked.

When I depress the clutch, First gear is notchy. Going into second, it grinds sometimes (if I hold in the clutch pedal for a few seconds it doesn't grind?).

Sorry but it sounds to me like weakening synchro engagement teeth. When this happened to me, Steve Hoelscher and the whole forum gang of the time guided me through my first tranny rebuild, which thus was dubbed, "5 speed 101". Yes, we're still talking about that series here folks, and anyone who wonders why, just go read 5 speed 101 again, any part of it. I just did the other day, for the first time in quite a while, and it had me just enthralled all over again
happy.gif
The only thing of substance I can say is to fix the tranny sooner than later. The longer one nurses it along, the more the cost of repairs can escalate - exponentially!

Fast Second to Third shifts seem to make the clutch slip. Fourth is fine, and when I engage into 5th It sounds like the shift rod is hitting the shift tunnel where the rod comes out of the shift tunnel. Is this normal if the shifter is out of adjustment, or is there something in it messed up?

I don't have the expertise to offer more possibilities, but one thing is definitely the "lollipop" (aka: 'sandwich joint') linkage on the shift rod at the front side of the transmission. If one of the bolts (especially the small one at rear) is stripped or slips, allowing the linkage to wiggle and possibly loosen, it can wreak havoc. These are pretty easy to adjust thankfully, and could help. Just get the car in neutral and slack the bolts involved with either end of the lollipop. Just wiggle the whole assembly around into a centered and natural feeling position, noting that the gearshift lever in the cockpit is centered in its gate. Tighten up the bolts and test it out. This may require some tweaking but results can be very worthwhile...

As for the transmission is the clutch just out of adjustment, or is are the syncros going out?

Possibly both, at the least I suspect you have a bad 2nd as mentioned above, meaning it ultimately would need to be cracked open to fix (if I am right about the teeth). It could also be the ribbed hub on the gear itself has worn flat - which would allow the engagement teeth to basically just crash into each other, which is bad of course and would soon cause the bad teeth anyway... I'm rambling)

It never jumps out of any gear.

That means the gears' drive sides and most other internals are probably fine aside from typical wear. I really am still just a layman but thanks to this forum and the great people in it I have picked up quite a bit
happy.gif

I have a transmission out of a '85 with 40K miles on it ready to go in it if needed.

Great! Do you know it to be good inside? If it has sat for a long time off the car or you don't know for sure its condition, your best course would be to get the gasket set and just crack it open for a peek inside first of all. If you already know what's up with it and you are ready to install it, that would make repair of the car far less of a hassle, and give you freedom to fix the outcoming tranny at your leisure
happy.gif

Keep us posted! Peace, -Mac.

<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial] [/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]
closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "m";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "s";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "x";n54_em = n54_em + "1";n54_em = n54_em + "9";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "r";n54_em = n54_em + "g"; document.write("Mac"); // --> </SCRIPT>Mac <NOSCRIPT> Mac </NOSCRIPT>[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 30px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Oh! Forgot to mention about the brakes<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]August 26 2001, 10:11 AM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 30px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->If you replace the lines & all is well but STILL find the brakes too squishy, I have a paper around here, I believe written by Dave Meredith (? has it been that long since I read it ?) wherein the excellent and very simple mod is mentioned of pulling all the banjo (hollow) bolts out of the brake system (ie at the calipers etc) and taking a small drill bit to drill out just a little the bore and cross bore of each bolt's innards! Yay! I still want to try it, I have heard rave reviews -Mac.

<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "g";n54_em = n54_em + "r";n54_em = n54_em + "8";n54_em = n54_em + "x";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "g";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "t"; document.write("Mike Mittelstead"); // --> </SCRIPT>Mike Mittelstead <NOSCRIPT> Mike Mittelstead </NOSCRIPT>[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 45px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Drillling banjo bolts?<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]August 26 2001, 10:41 AM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 45px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Hiya Mac. Tell more please. Specific drill sizes to use? Purpose? Results? "Lemmeno"...heh
ThanX...and Happy Trails...MM<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]lezesig[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 60px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->.857 bore with a .312 crossdrill...AND...<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]August 26 2001, 12:03 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 60px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Mike,
That's a joke (dimesions) ! I'd like to know more also. Sounds like someone has experimented with flow characteristics at that joint.

Read your email ?

out for now,
lezesig '79 X 1/9<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

closeThread.gif
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 75px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Okay guys I'll dig the article out & post it for all to see <nt><!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]August 26 2001, 2:03 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 75px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->...<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back