My 1975 X19 Project begins!

aetoyota86

Low Mileage
So, a few months back I started looking for an X19 project to restore for my father as a surprise retirement gift. I have roughly 2 to 3 years to work on it, so it will be a slow go, worked in around all my other car and house projects. But finally, as of yesterday afternoon, the car arrived from just outside of Chicago. So far, all I've done is take stock that 99.9% of the pieces are there, and that it will need a thorough rebuild. However, the rust is not bad, floors feel solid, and I've already removed the rats nests from the spare tire area, so I already feel better about the progress. lol. Here are a few pics of how she sits now.

https://goo.gl/photos/iMKpV85KuocSuJL27

I hope to keep everyone updated with progress.... but I'm better at wrenching than at updating. :mallet:

~Mike

Good luck!

The car doesn't look too bad at all. Good luck with your project. :)

hmmm.... Missouri plates, I guess Missouri is just out side Chicago. :) ;)

1975 Project Car

Well heck, I think it already looks better than half the completed restorations I've seen!

Congrats on your acquisition!

Ed

That plumbing is what Fiat did to meet US emissions. VW solution is not as visible when you take a look at the engine

Missouri plates because the guy I bought it from bought it from a collector in Missouri. Car has been sitting without running since 1980, and only has 18k original miles on it. :)
Thanks for all the congratulations and encouragement. I know I'm going to need it. Probably won't start checking the quality of the drivetrain until January or February.
~Mike

new ride

good buy!!!!
if you have access to an owners or shop manual, you can start with a wish list of what's missing or broken and start stockpiling the parts that you will need, or in my case, lose in that black hole they call a garage.
I am not sure what the smog laws are there, but here in cali 75 and older are exempt so a lot of that plumbing can be "lost" if need be.
mikemo
keep us posted!!

The plumbing as we've been calling it, will all be 'lost' as I will be attempting to swap a 4AGE 16v from a mid 80s MR2 into the Fiat. We will see how plausible that is once the car is disassembled. Haha :)
~Mike

Good on ya!!!

Great to see more of these X's being restored, I do hope you don't hit too many rust issues, it does look clean though... so hopefully there wont be any hidden nasties:mallet: unlike mine.

Dave

Saw the pics of yours, it looks great now, and that's kind of what I'll be doing, so this guy on the other side of the pond doesn't think you're mad. ;)
~Mike

Low mileage

It did have it moments... I've just put it back on my mobile jack stands ready to start putting things back. The underside painting is now complete as well as the front and rear boots (trunks) and the cockpit. The external body I've still to do.

There is a place in Holland you might want to look at it's a bit pricy but these parts are mostly original. I have contacted them and they were very helpful there are a few items I require in the near future.
www.x19partsholland.nl

If you put your heart and soul in to it you will get there in the end.

Keep in touch if I can help in anyway please feel free.

Dave

Don't do it!

You have a nice original car there with low miles. This isn't the car to be using for an engine swap. Remove the emissions crap and put a couple of big webers on it, a better cam and exhaust and you will be a happy man.

Dom.

The plumbing as we've been calling it, will all be 'lost' as I will be attempting to swap a 4AGE 16v from a mid 80s MR2 into the Fiat. We will see how plausible that is once the car is disassembled. Haha :)
~Mike

Watch it Dom....you'll be accused of being a purist because you want to save an original low milage car... shame on you. :rolleyes:

I mean ... if he wanted a mid engined 4AGE 16v powered car, it would be silly to think of getting an MR2.... but to cut up an X19 instead is completely sensible.....

SteveC

Haha, I knew I'd make some heads roll with my plan. I bought this car because the body was relatively rust free, the mileage was just an added bonus. The car is a gift for my father, and has nostalgic value for him. What he didn't like when he owned his '78 tho, was constantly having to replace the piston rings. He went thru 3 or 4 sets in the 6 plus years he owned that car. Now that he will be retired, I want him to have a power plant that is more reliable, with more readily available parts. I know Toyotas like the back of my hand, so this will make it easier for me to help him. At the end of the day, I'm doing this because I want to. I knew there would be strong opinions against it here, and it doesn't bother me. Everyone is entitled to have an opinion. I just don't share this one. :) Plus, the x19 has much nicer body lines than the aw11 chassis mr2. ;)
~Mike

For your car maybe keep this one stock

ALTHOUGH YOU DID NOT ASK I will be obnoxious and give my $0.02. Most of us will give the same recommendation to get it solid and reliable with good quality parts, clean it up and have fun with it. I don't know your skillset or expertise but more than likely If you do an engine swap you will be married to it and always tinkering and your dad pissed the thing is always down for the count with some goofy issue. If you do any tuning you know what I mean. Another point is even though you may be very crafty and have access to tools etc it is always far more expensive than you think to reengineer a car and always takes much longer than expected. Where do you stop? Engine with trans adapter, Engine and gearbox as a power pack, cutting up the chassis and then reinforcing it? It is a big job for sure.

Even a stock restoration will take longer than you think. I will jump to the conclusion you have not done a full on resto yet but I could be wrong. Just look at restoring the front suspension alone, by the time you assess what you need, what you will repair and what you will replace you are a week to a couple weeks into a tear down - yes it takes that long especially if this is your first time through a new car. Then you find the parts you want and purchase them - add another week or two. If you decide to media blast parts and get them replated or coated now add on another 2-3 weeks ( will be concurrent with new part timing). Now you get the bits all together and reassemble everything. Give that a few days to a week. So just restoring the front suspension you are somewhere 4.5-7 weeks into it depending on how aggressive you are. Some bits will come right apart and some won't no matter what car you have, that is not just Fiat related. Now take that summary and go through each system, rear suspension, engine, cooling, electrical, interior etc.

Don't know your dads preference but most of the guys that tune the hell out of these end up detuning the car or ditching it for a more stock one as they get older. Most will tell you that in its stock, purist form it is the most fun. I have had both ends of the spectrum with the X1/9s and my tuned car is a blast for about a half hour then it is ready to put away. My old stock 74 I could just jump in it take off cruise anywhere without complications. It was a fun car. The engines are reliable if you use good parts and do a very mild tune. Honestly how many miles is he really going to put on it a year as well - just volunteering that before you go down the path of "this thing has to be bomb proof for ever".

Assuming by your tag you know the 4AGE, definitely not a bad engine but my $0.02 again is to save that one for yourself in the MR2, Corolla or get totally nutty and build up a mid engined tercel.

I know the time projects take. The wide body and suspension mods on my 2013 BRZ took 15 months. The full frame off and chassis restoration on my 1985 AE86 Corolla hatch took over 2 years. The engine bay cleanup and motor rebuild on my 1991 R32 Skyline GTR took over a year. The full frame off, chassis restoration, and BEAMS motor swap into my 1985 RHD AE86 Levin coupe is still ongoing and has been since 2012. The adaptation of a FWD Corolla motor into an AWD Toyota Matrix (and keeping the AWD) is nearing the end of the project, and should be turn key in the next few weeks. I got that car over 2 and a half years ago. I am fully aware of the time, mods, and effort needed to do what I want. I am definitely not new at this. I know that learning a new chassis and fully disassembling a car I am not familiar with will take tons of time. I'm not scared of going through with it and taking the years needed to get it right. I have full access to a machine shop, metal fabrication shop, top notch welders and fabricators, and I'm no stranger myself to custom fabricating parts from CAD engineering up to CNC machines and lathes. I appreciate all the words of caution, and don't take offense to them. You will not hear me complaining about, "oh, I never knew I would run into this problem *whine whine*" That is not who I am. I'm in for the long haul.
~Mike

OK Then......

Cool, yeah that is quite a resume of cars. I am interested how you did (are doing) so many in such a short time. Just porting my PRV heads (6cyl) for my Alpine took me 3 months of weekends and occasional weekday - just the porting alone, I think I am on year 4 for the resto and mild tune and I work on it every weekend -just one car. All my car projects take that kind of time and that is consistent with my buds that have done similar. We must be slow :).

So I ask this:

1) Keep us posted on the project, cool photos etc
2) Do you have a link to the BRZ project?
3) Do you have links etc for the other projects?
4) I am calling you out on the mid engined tercel idea - you have been challenged

The words of caution from the group are just our "heads up" from the mistakes or "if I could do it again" experiences. Never a bad thing to try new things though.

I have a place in my heart for Toyotas, a large part of my career has been developing Toyota convertibles. I had an early MR2 and had blown and rebuilt the engine so I am familiar with the 4AGE (BTW the license plate read "1AB X19") :thumbsup:. I also have a place for Subarus, I am on my second (WRX and STi) and wife on her first.

Easy task for a man of your calibre...

They look good...some how. I don't think you'll have a problem with the task ahead.

PS. If you don't want those bumpers can I have first Dibs.

Dave

Back