My Bertone...in wood

jvandyke

True Classic
My church boy's club does their version of Pinewood Derby every year. I love it.
Here's the design I cut tonight, a homage to Nuccio.
Need ideas on color, I'm thinking gun metal metallic or similar but could be swayed.
The pictures don't capture the angles and facets all that well but I think it looks pretty cool.
Was considering some angular wheel pants but that's a lot of work.

Attachments

• IMG_6489.JPG
    IMG_6489.JPG
    156.4 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_6488.JPG
    IMG_6488.JPG
    206.7 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_6487.JPG
    IMG_6487.JPG
    203.1 KB · Views: 132
Fancy work in small places with that table saw :)
Look forward to the paint job!

My church boy's club does their version of Pinewood Derby every year. I love it.
Here's the design I cut tonight, a homage to Nuccio.
Need ideas on color, I'm thinking gun metal metallic or similar but could be swayed.
The pictures don't capture the angles and facets all that well but I think it looks pretty cool.
Was considering some angular wheel pants but that's a lot of work.
When I was taking my godson to cub scouts a dozen years ago I got enthused over the soap box derby and built this one for myself. It wasn't the fastest by far but got some oo's and ah's. The one my six year old godson made (I only helped him attach the wheels) beat mine. It actually went faster backwards that frontwards. I painted it with (Toni will like this) Dupli-color paint that changes at different angles. It goes from metallic plumb purple to green and blue. I put multi color led's that flashed as it went down the track. The idea is to get the front as lite as possible like a dragster. That is why mine was faster backwards than frontwards. Is this your first time racing?
a.jpg
b.jpg
c.jpg
Are you following the scout rules? If not there are a lot of mods you can do to get more speed.

That's super cool. We've been doing this for years and years so, no, not my first. We have our own rules and different wheels the the scouts so not quite the same but similar. My kid and I made this one a few years ago, pretty sure we posted it here too back in the day.
file_zps30c6de93.jpg

Fancy work in small places with that table saw :)
Look forward to the paint job!
Yes, a carpenter I am not. I found out the belt sander was much better for all those angles. My kid (who is taking wood working at high school shop at the moment was just shaking his head (and ducking it! as the car flew across the room as it shot out of the saw).

That's super cool. We've been doing this for years and years so, no, not my first. We have our own rules and different wheels the the scouts so not quite the same but similar. My kid and I made this one a few years ago, pretty sure we posted it here too back in the day.
file_zps30c6de93.jpg
I have always like those sweeping fenders.

Yes, a carpenter I am not. I found out the belt sander was much better for all those angles. My kid (who is taking wood working at high school shop at the moment was just shaking his head (and ducking it! as the car flew across the room as it shot out of the saw).
What? I was not aware woodshop existed in Michigan any longer! My wife who was a teacher 27 years and now a librarian nearly blew gaskets when we read that MI DofE was defunding vocational classes such as woodshop in favor of more relevant skills where people could actually find work. I took woodshop half and art the other half year in 7th and 8th grade. I had mechanical drawing and woodshop whole senior year in high school. After several years of dead ending I returned to woodworking as a profession. Yes, profession, I try not to toot my horn but I am a PGW(pretty good woodworker) I rarely sign stuff that way; I think titles just get in the way. Here are some recent commissions in my shop here in Fairview.
Screenshot_2017-02-19-08-10-07.png
If you guys are ever down this way look me up! So glad to hear woodshop is taught, and someone is taking the class! A veritable ray of light!!!
Regards

It's just a semester as part of a bigger overall shop thing, he took metals and now wood. He did get excepted into our county's Tech center, in automotive technology (his first choice was body and paint and he could still get bumped up). Maybe he'll take to wood working which is pretty cool too. I never took any of that stuff in high school.

I did not take nearly enough! Bumped up to the auto body and painting? Nice play on words! :) My middle son is a service writer at the Caddy dealership. My Gov teacher's son does the same for Toyota in Bay City Michigan. The auto body tech is really getting sort of black boxey. More replace or fill vs bump or patch. Metal is so thin not much to weld. My dad is an old school body man gas weld and lead for fill. Auto techs are in high demand and the service centers are amazing! Not working on X1/9s anymore.. Can be a very lucrative field if you are good at it. Best of luck in whatever he should choose!
Regards

file_zps30c6de93.jpg
Reminds me of this...
Screenshot_2017-02-19-13-18-12.png Screenshot_2017-02-19-13-17-48.png
My color suggestion would be metallic green all the way!
Screenshot_2017-02-19-13-25-52.png Screenshot_2017-02-19-13-25-43.png
Regards

Reminds me of this...
View attachment 1334 View attachment 1335
My color suggestion would be metallic green all the way!
View attachment 1336 View attachment 1337
Regards
That Delahaye in the right hand corner is the one I really like. I made a peddle car size version of that car. I had never done any body work to speak of until I got out of the service in 1970. My first real attempts were on a couple of 65 ford vans for a plumber. I was taking a big dent out of the driver's side wall. I got inside the van and started kicking the dent out with my foot. I thought to myself, "if you are planning on doing this for a living maybe you should find a place to teach the finer arts of body work." I managed to talk my way into a part time job at a dodge dealership. First day on the job low and be hold a truck came in with a big dent very much like the one on the van in the side of the truck bed. I took a look at it and asked the body man how I would go about getting the dent out. He gave me a disgruntled look climbed up in the truck bed and began kicking the holy**** out of it. I gave my notice and went home. When it comes to carpentry, I have done a few nice looking things but my real expertise is hiding mistakes. Carving I am better. Talking about the wooden cars makes me start thinking about making another. That is probably all I'll do thought. Javndyke, It is cool that you are doing things like this with your son. Waiting to see the finished piece and maybe some action shots at the races.

Back