My Car So Far...

Ben Louis

True Classic
Okay, so far I've been creating separate threads for different projects and questions I've had but I think it's time to make a continuing thread to document the progress I've made on my car as I go along. A new year brought a new budget and so I've been working like mad on the car to hopefully get it drive-able by summer. I hope my mini 'restoration' gives some of you ideas and gets some of your own jobs finished as well!

Here are the links for projects I've already completed in case you're interested:
https://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/trail-tech-vapor-gauge-install.33600/page-2#post-289867 ***Ends with copper pipe install

https://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/trans-mount-replacement.33575/#post-287118

https://xwebforums.com/forum/index....-electrovalve-auxillary-air-valve-help.32863/

https://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/key-ignition-column-help.32230/

I'm going to start by continuing from the first thread listed which started as a gauge install and ended up becoming a coolant distribution replacement.

Last edited:
To continue where I left off with the copper re-pipe of the coolant lines:

- I still need to finish prepping the pipe for final fit and braze to the car for good. In the mean time I decided it would be good to take care of some things while I've got the car lifted and drained of coolant.

Decided to pull the radiator and inspect it. It's pretty grimy as you can see and over spray is a constant headache... I had an extra radiator fan so I mocked it up real quick giving a double fan which I've been reading about recently, spliced it into switch power, then tore everything apart for a refurbish and paint.
IMG_0627.JPG

IMG_0622.JPG

I also started to replace the fuel filter and thought well while I'm snowball'in I might as well go nuts. So I removed everything from the drivers side
corner of the engine bay. This is what I found:
IMG_0630.JPG

Not pretty. Here are the fuel pump isolators.

IMG_0634.JPG

Luckily I had ordered some new isolators along with the fuel filter knowing that I would get to it eventually and they're cheap so might as well get a few.

Fuel pump before:

IMG_0635.JPG

And after:
IMG_0639.JPG

Fuel pump was still good so all it needed was some love.

Last edited:
So whats to come?

- Finish copper re-pipe
- Paint radiator and reassemble
- Coolant system flush
- Fuel filter and fuel pump install (plus some De-greaser all up in that entire space)
- Just got new Strut mounts from Eurosport (for real this time). I also have a complete poly bush kit so a suspension overhaul is the next big thing on my list.

**Btw how easy is it to delete the heater? AC is already gone and heater leaks into passenger foot well. I live in CA so have no need or want for a heater.

Wow, all I can say is "wotta challenge!". Stick with it, Ben - you will get there in the end!! :rolleyes:

cheers, IanL - NZ

Something to consider for the radiator. While you already have it out, take it to a radiator shop to get properly cleaned. Much more effective than doing a system flush. They will also check for leaks, damage, etc.

Removing the heater isn't very difficult. You have to plug the heater supply and return ports on the engine (don't loop them together), then remove the heater core. You might consider leaving the heater box and fan in place to retain some of the defrost functionality. If you don't need to use the heater, removing it will benefit you by having a couple fewer hoses in the engine bay and no leaking heater valve.
I don't know if this is a good thing or not, but I have attempted to clean out old radiators by filling them with Lime-a-Way. I just lay them face down in a nice warm sunny spot, fill them up with Lime-a-Way and let it soak. I've had good results using this method, at least it looks better afterwards.

I would like to retain some defrost. I looked into it a while back and thought maybe it was the heater valve leaking. It's right there on the passenger side of console correct? May be worth replacing that to have heater functionality. I've been going back and forth how hot rod racer vs. original I want this car to be. After all race cars don't have heaters. And a simpler engine bay is a goal in itself. I believe that I would also need (or want) a transfer tube w/o a T?

Has anyone used murriatic acid to clean the inside of a radiator? Ive used it for 2 stroke pipes to de-carbon and I think I've got half a jug sitting around somewhere. I don't know how it would react with the solder that might be holding the radiator together tho. I've already tested for leaks and flushed with a lot of water just to get the loose deposits off plus it never showed so much as a weep when it was on the car. I've also got another good spare radiator, so if this one ever leaks I can just swap them out. Lime away the same as CLR ?

Dr.Jeff - A good suggestion but I'm trying to stay away from shops mainly to boost my own sense of accomplishment and ego :) eventually I'll need a professional for trans and engine rebuilds (way down the road) but I'm trying my best to hold out

Ben, I understand your thoughts of wanting to do as much as possible yourself, that's how I am.

Couple of thoughts after reading your last reply:
1) Muriatic acid can be used but I think it is too strong for the metals used in the rad. I use it to remove rust from the inside of old steel fuel tanks and it will eat right through them if you're not careful. The rad has softer materials that won't hold up to it as well, so you'd have to be very careful and dilute it a lot and rinse it a lot. If you want a strong cleaner that is safer for the rad, there is another type of acid that works exceptionally well but isn't as harsh as muriatic acid. It is what the radiator flush products used to be before everything became water based. Its called oxalic acid. I bought a large bag of it (enough to do maybe a dozen flushes) on eBay for a few dollars. This was the common "DuPont" flush kit from years ago; it had two cylinder containers joined together, one was the acid flush and the other was the neutralizer rinse. Its a powder that dissolves in water. You can use baking soda (also dissolved in water) as the neutralizer. Neutralizing and plenty of flushing with water after should be done. Here are a couple links on the subject of rad flushing:
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/radiator-flush-cemicals-question.16278/
http://www.sancarlosradiator.com/VoltageDrop/flush.htm

And here is a link for the oxalic acid: https://www.ebay.com/itm/OXALIC-ACI...:oasAAOSwHsRYDfSl:sc:USPSPriority!89156!US!-1

2) The leak near the heater box. There are some fairly recent threads discussing the subject of the heater valve, the hoses/pipes that connect it, and repairing the heater. Look through them before you decide, it could be a matter of just replacing an external part. But this also depends on what direction you decide to go with the car. I'm kind of in the same predicament; my X is nice enough to keep as a relatively practical street car with AC, heat, stereo, comfortable seats, etc, but I also want to transform it into a track-day car. I guess we should decide that question before we do too much work or spend too much money and then decide differently. ;)

I would like to retain some defrost. I looked into it a while back and thought maybe it was the heater valve leaking. It's right there on the passenger side of console correct? May be worth replacing that to have heater functionality. I've been going back and forth how hot rod racer vs. original I want this car to be. After all race cars don't have heaters. And a simpler engine bay is a goal in itself. I believe that I would also need (or want) a transfer tube w/o a T?
Yes, the heater valve is on the right side, and yes, they are a common point of failure. It is attached to the heater core, and would be removed if you remove the heater core.
You could either replace the tube with one that doesn't have the heater T, or just plug it.

Never did find that heater valve :)

88343D34-EAA5-4E4B-B9B3-07C6325DC621.jpeg

So i decided that the heater is gone. I would have liked to have some defrost but the fan looks pretty spent and that whole section was filled with fluid so its prob more than a valve. But Ill bet i could order an afternarket fan and wire it up easy saving space and weight. Or not well see. The PO started to remove the AC but I finished the job as a few components and hoses were left in the frunk.

B7D61931-BA2C-4FAC-B8E1-A9FB80B2A9E3.jpeg
I have the dash off as well and would like to start eliminating all the AC and Heater wiring as Im sure it would greatly simplify all this:

Ordered oxalic acid should arrive in a day or two looks like 1:8 acid to water is a good ratio might do 1:12 just to be safe

Reminds me of my '79 with AC, the massive bundles of wires under the dash are a real pain.

On this copy of your picture: The red box is where the heater valve would have been, connected to those hoses. The yellow box is a remnant of the AC system, if you want to remove all of it then that hose can go.
88343D34-EAA5-4E4B-B9B3-07C6325DC621.jpeg

Yes looking at the diagrams it seems most of the wiring has to do with AC or heater. However my dad pointed out that the wiring doesnt really hurt anything so leaving as is would be less work and would be nearly impossible to put back once removed if down the road me or someone else decides to put heat/ AC back. I think Ill leave the heater pipes too, just remove all hoses and plug the outlets.

A8689D15-9CD9-442E-856A-9CAA8CDDD33E.jpeg

Unless someone watching grabs it quick all this will be in the FS section soon. Alot of it is actually in decent condition despite being dirty Im not sure if its actually worth anything to anybody

Last edited:
And this is what started it all...the heater valve (in red circle):
A8689D15-9CD9-442E-856A-9CAA8CDDD33E.jpeg

Actually the leak could have been from something else other than the valve. I sent you a message.

There's always that one little thing that starts it all...

As stated I've been busy busy burning the midnight oil for the past two weeks so it's time to post some stuff I've finished up... despite the whole heater/dash thing

I know someone is going to judge me for painting the radiator before I pour acid down it but I already had both fans cleaned up and painted, as well as the shrouds. And, it rained all week so I had to put up a temp paint booth using an old tarp, a bike stand, and a space heater which I didn't want to waste. Turned out some of my best work actually.

IMG_0677.JPG

and yes that's a jug of coolant I was able to catch as it drained from my burst distribution pipes, at least it came to some use.

Back