My Car So Far...

The H2 is equally frightening as it is cool. Its actually my dad’s bike. Ive put some miles on it and all I can say is that theres a reason it was nicknamed the ‘widow maker’ back in the day. Waaaayyyy too much power for that paperclip of a frame. Can you say speed wobbles and snap high-sides? Having said that Im a big 2t fan and theres nothing quite like that hit when coming on pipe
Yeah - I have owned a '75 250, '76 500 and a '75 750. The '74-75's were better for the stability. My 750 was very modified, milled heads, ported, denco expansion chambers, ect. A very adrenaline inducing experience to ride...

From experience with the Calif smog referees, I will say it is much like anything involving the Government. A total crap shoot; depending on who you get and what mood they happen to be in that day. For the most part, if you try to make everything look very well sorted, finished, and clean looking then they tend to be less critical. However in Calif all cats (regardless of the intended year of application) must be "CARB" certified. So make sure yours is, otherwise it won't pass regardless.

Its been a while since I posted but Ive been through a move and had to get a bit set up before I could start working on the car again. So I made a referee appointment but soon as I did I noticed a water leak coming from the pump body to block gasket... so I replaced it. Worked good until the thermostat opened and then it started to leak from the impeller to pump body gasket... okay so tear it apart replace both gaskets and put it all back. Fired it up and was super hopefull until after about 10 min the gland started to leak, and I mean leak. Wow okay so I guess we’ll just replace the whole impeller assembly. Tear it down wait a week for shipping and then put it all back. Ok so this time its good right? Yes it was finally! Ran for 10-15, cooled down, re-torqued, burped and ran again for 10-15. No leaks horray already!!

Pre cleanup
01DDDAF4-6754-4122-9DE2-B7AF32471BF6.jpeg

0E47F5C0-1C9B-46F7-9717-4E4740CF9FC7.jpeg

30 years of crud

69457C55-592B-4A0F-84AE-FA7C56DF762A.jpeg

Looks like a A/C equipped car? They tend to be extra "special" to do water pump work on. And by "special" I mean a pain in the butt. :mad:
Be curious to hear how it goes at the referee station. Best of luck that everything passes without drama. ;)

Looks like a A/C equipped car? They tend to be extra "special" to do water pump work on. And by "special" I mean a pain in the butt. :mad:
Be curious to hear how it goes at the referee station. Best of luck that everything passes without drama. ;)

Thats' what I thought at first - but the housing lacks the drop down ears for the compressor pivot, and you can see it's all open on the block below the housing

EDIT - nevermind ears are the same - must have had AC at one time(?), pump looks like the same little one on my motor
IMG_3006.jpg

shown with Non-AC base gasket...
IMG_3007.jpg

Last edited:
Yes the car was A/C at one time. Having the double pulley really makes it difficult because not having that last 1/2 inch of wiggle room to pivot the whole assembly in really makes it hard for the return pipe to clear the trans as you rotate it in position.

Last edited:
Thats' what I thought at first - but the housing lacks the drop down ears for the compressor pivot, and you can see it's all open on the block below the housing

EDIT - nevermind ears are the same - must have had AC at one time(?), pump looks like the same little one on my motor
IMG_3006.jpg

shown with Non-AC base gasket...
IMG_3007.jpg

Yes gaskets are a bit hard to source. Is the ‘normal’ impeller actually bigger (cross section) or just the gasket surface? If the gaskets relate to the impeller size seems like an A/C car would be less efficient at moving water around. Lets not get into fluid dynamics here. I also have yet to find the right belt except overseas so heres to hoping it lasts, it looks ok for now though.

Ps Is that a spacer on the return pipe?

Last edited:
The A/C water pump has a much smaller housing. I haven't compared the impellers (I can when the pump comes off my non-AC car). But I imagine the smaller pump body would allow less water to flow, even if the impeller isn't smaller. I agree, it is a bad design - a A/C system adds load and heat to an already iffy cooling system. So you would think they should have redesigned things to allow a larger pump instead of smaller.

I also had a difficult time getting the correct V-belt. All of the ones listed for mine were incorrect. I wound up modifying all of the mounts and adjustment pieces to allow for more travel. That enabled the use of a belt that can be installed without removing everything, and also be properly adjusted/tensioned. Neither of those were possible in the stock configuration.

Ps Is that a spacer on the return pipe?

It is to offset for the euro head t/stat adaptor flange

X19-0553.jpg

Ultimately I revised the pipe entirely, as the Allsion Header sat way too close to the branch, no matter how I fiddled with the stock piping (note indents in pipe above). This also allowed me to move the heater soft hose well away from the exhaust altogether

X19-0119.jpg

Last edited:
I think the politically correct response is to post a link to whatever forum you have for the dune buggy build. And if you say facebook then you can kiss half of us goodby but the Russians might enjoy it since they like to use FB.

I bet a lot of guys who like to mess with Fiats have at least a passing interest in dune buggys….and not the high end $30,000 ones but the basic Manx type from when they were popular in the day. It was fun watching Ed build one on Wheeler Dealer a million years ago.

I think the politically correct response is to post a link to whatever forum you have for the dune buggy build. And if you say facebook then you can kiss half of us goodby but the Russians might enjoy it since they like to use FB.

I bet a lot of guys who like to mess with Fiats have at least a passing interest in dune buggys….and not the high end $30,000 ones but the basic Manx type from when they were popular in the day. It was fun watching Ed build one on Wheeler Dealer a million years ago.

Ahh Mister China an inspiration to all
I dont currently have a Fb Ive been on a social media boycott for a few years save for writting this thread I guess. I did plan on making another thread for this car if I get it started Ill link it here as long as people are ok w that

Back