My Fiberglass Project

socalx19

True Classic
Much respect to all of you fabricators out there who are making your own things for one-of customization or mass reproduction. This is my first attempt at using fiberglass to make a custom part and it's fun/nasty stuff. A big thank you to Ricardo for tips and confidence - learn from the master, I say.

I've been thinking of a design to "hide" all this stuff in the front compartment. Something that has a clean finish to it and looks factory (as much as possible).

C667DB37-EA92-4703-BA20-804117C43FBD-628-0000004644CCA502_zps7e7da95c.jpg

I wanted the design to be one-piece that could be removed easily and required no more than 2 wing nuts on each side to hold it firmly in place. It should also allow the top to be stored, wasn't heavy, allows cooling for the amplifier.

As I have no skill whatsoever with fiberglass materials, this is an experiment and I'm hoping this initial product will suffice. I think I will cover it with a carpet material to match the molded carpet that is already in there - depends on how well it comes out.

First was making the template.

I used some wood to make the template sturdy in order to hold the cardboard at the correct angle - something I'm really glad I did once I started to apply the resin and mats as a fair amount of weight from the wet resin would have distorted the template.

I then propped it up on a broken tripod I have lying around.

Then it was time to add the fiberglass.

http://youtu.be/UmD9CMBSTrI

Current state - waiting to cure after which I'll sand then add another layer of fiber before releasing from the template for cutting/sanding/etc/etc....

More later!

Rudy,

having done a fair amount of fibreglass work, the carboard template you made will not come away from the fibreglass you have laid on top...

what you need to do is build up the layers on your template, and then sand and fill the inside after tearing away as much carboard as you can, or just laying more glass inside nice an smoothly, maybe reinforce the outside and make this your mould.... basically the reverse of what you want (smooth inside and rough outside)

Then use a release agent and wax coating to prep the mould, lay up into it, and release the finished product... so it has a smooth finish on the outside...glassing is always a multi step process.

trimming the excess off is also far easier if done when the resin has semi gelled... it gets to a rubbery state before finally hardening (about 20/30 minutes after layup depending on the amount of MEKP you used and the ambient temp) which allows you to trim up with a sharp craft knife... grinding hardened glass sucks.. makes a mess, gets you itchy, and if your not really careful it splinteres and shatters the edges...

I have some info in my ultimate sohc thread about fibreglassing body panels... I still need to add the pictures, but the text will give you a good idea.

Nice idea though to tidy the frunk up tho...

SteveC

Great Steve - I'll check your thread. Thanks.

I did tape the entire template with packing tape - I think this will help removal? And yeah - in my impatience, I have discovered that trimming while the material is still soft is easier than after hardening. The ambient temp is dipping so it's slowing the dry process - and I think I agree with you - this may end up being the mold for the finished product. Good learning experience for me.

Impressive Rudy!

Big thumbs up! :thumbsup:
Love what you're doing. Fiberglass work can be a little caustic, so be careful with the chemicals and glass fibers.
Be sure you protect your lungs.

I'd love to see a custom dash plate made with the stuff.

Keep us posted.

Here are some pics of one of my glass works. If you could ridged up the card board and pull a mold off that then lay glass in the mold you might get a better finished product. Or you could get a sheet of ABS and using a card board pattern much like the one you put fiberglass on. You could cut heat bend and glue with out a lot of the itchy mess.

Wow! That's awesome. As I said at the top, much respect!

ABS would be interesting, though I don't like working with heat much. There doesn't seem much room for error. I need plenty

So yes, the more I examine my work here, the more I see that this is going to be the "master" and the finished product will be made "inside".

Ok, so what other glass work is out there? I'd like to see....

First off ABS doesn't take a lot of heat to shape it. If you are going to stick with glass you might think about Epoxy resin. It is more expensive but you do not need the acetone for clean up. You work it like polyester but it holds it's shape better. Polyesters tend to sag after cure if not reinforced right. You also might consider mat instead of cloth. Especially if you do a mold. I know you want to protect the electronics but I think it is a nice layout and looks cool. I just took a second look and it looks like you are using fibber mat.

Popped off very easily without damaging the cardboard template.

Now it does appear that using the inside as the mold would be the way to go.

First off ABS doesn't take a lot of heat to shape it. If you are going to stick with glass you might think about Epoxy resin. It is more expensive but you do not need the acetone for clean up. You work it like polyester but it holds it's shape better. Polyesters tend to sag after cure if not reinforced right. You also might consider mat instead of cloth. Especially if you do a mold. I know you want to protect the electronics but I think it is a nice layout and looks cool. I just took a second look and it looks like you are using fibber mat.

Yes, I used interlocking fiber mat as some of the online tutorials I watched suggested that this was more flexible. The cloth didn't seem like it would do well with the corners of this particular shape. Epoxy resin? I'll take a look. I have a about $140 invested in materials already with plenty leftover. I may pop this one out this way to work on my "technique" then try the other if it is better.

As far as I know, covering the amp with carpet is not the best thing for it. it needs to breath to stay cool. Just my 2 cents.

Agreed, but covering fiberglass with carpet is a good way to go. Sanding fiberglass and using body filler to achieve a smooth finish is awful work. Great work, BTW.:thumbsup:

Popped off very easily without damaging the cardboard template.

Now it does appear that using the inside as the mold would be the way to go.

Yes, I used interlocking fiber mat as some of the online tutorials I watched suggested that this was more flexible. The cloth didn't seem like it would do well with the corners of this particular shape. Epoxy resin? I'll take a look. I have a about $140 invested in materials already with plenty leftover. I may pop this one out this way to work on my "technique" then try the other if it is better.

Looks good. Maybe you should just ignore everybody and keep going the way you are. If you are going to cover it with carpet I would say you have the glass part mostly done. If you do add more glass stay with the material you are using now.

Yeah - trim it & fit it. Take some pics of it in place as is. The fumes working with that stuff are nasty - why do it any longer than absolutely necessary? The dimensions won't have changed enough (from being built on top of the mold) to be a concern, I would think. Should be able to add some reinforcement strips fibreglassed to the the underside to prevent stress cracking, no?

Nice work Rudy

Hey Rudy,

I am impressed! I have never messed with a project like that, it looks like it is turning out really well for you! :)

Good fitment. A bit short on the bottom but I'm unconcerned about that. I've decided to bondo/sand the top, cover with fabric for now. I can still use the bottom as a mould later on -

This is about as far as I can get today - promised my wife to help out with chores and do some Christmas shopping before my parents fly in.

e8unujyt.jpg
3u6anere.jpg
u7usubuz.jpg

Back