My new (sort of Italian) speed toys

Rodger

True Classic
I just finalized my specifications for a custom built, state of the art, leading edge technology design, featuring modern CAD-CAM manufacturing but with a nod to the lines and heritage of the classic Italian sports car we all love. Thought it would be fun to share with the X crowd.

Specifications

Length: 178 cm
Tip-Waist-Tail: 132 mm-96 mm-118 mm
Sidecut radius: 18.2 m

Tip
All-Mountain design with 10-10 tip rocker for easy turn initiation and nice flotation

Tail
All-Mountain tail design with 5-5 tail rocker for easy turn release and versatility

Construction
Sugar Maple/Aspen core with Titanal (metal) structural layers for a smooth, stable ride with great edge hold.

Flex pattern
Balanced. Tail slightly stiffer than tip.

Stiffness
Medium. Calibrated for your height, weight, and skier preferences.

Topsheet graphic
Custom

I decided to go with the same color that I used on my K20 project car. Thanks so much to a couple of Forum members (Ricardo and JohnnyX) for sharing their graphics files.

Bertone%20skis_zpsobh5dz9t.jpg

I love to ski, but never ever thought I would have a custom pair of skis made. The fun story behind this is that last summer, my daughter, who now lives in Telluride, Colorado, was on her way back home for a visit with her boyfriend. He had broken one of his front teeth years ago and the crown that was done had recently fractured off and she had beeb repeatedly supergluing it back on temporarily. She asked if I could do a new one for him so I said sure, figuring I would never get anything back for it. My lab guy did a great job on it and we got it done in the few days they were in town before they headed back to Telluride. It turns out that he works for a custom ski manufacturer called Wagner Skis, based in Telluride. As payback, he is making me a custom pair of skis to my specifications! All of their graphics are custom so I sent some X1/9 stuff to their graphics designer and this is the result. I am heading to Telluride in about a week to visit them and to try out my new boards. Can't wait.

Attachments

• Skis.PNG
    Skis.PNG
    236.1 KB · Views: 81
What a cool story! Barter system at it's highest form! Seems your daughter got a little genetic predisposition for the dental arts... good thing she doesn't know about devcon five minute epoxy or you would still be slogging down the slopes on an old set of K2s! :) Really beautiful set of skis!
Regards

What a cool story! Barter system at it's highest form! Seems your daughter got a little genetic predisposition for the dental arts... good thing she doesn't know about devcon five minute epoxy or you would still be slogging down the slopes on an old set of K2s! :) Really beautiful set of skis!
Regards
Thanks. When I first met her boyfriend, the crown had already been reglued a couple of times so it was already looking about 1-2mm too long. It was hard for me not to stare at it considering my profession. Never thought they would stay together long enough for me to worry about it, let alone get a new pair of skis out of it. He is actually a pretty cool guy so everyone is happy.

You might start a trend:) People may start asking for those Icsunonove skis they saw on the slope

Hello,

Great job, very nice, my compliments
You must be a true X 1/9 fanatic

Ciao,

Henk Martens/Netherlands
Well, I never considered myself an X1/9 fanatic, but ever since I started the K20 swap project, my wife does think I am obsessed (or possessed) with it.:(

I haven't been on the slopes in years. So the parabolic skis are still in? Those are nice. They're art. I would be afraid to have them get scratched up.

Those look pretty nice, obviously you now need one of those cool ski racks from back in the day, the targa to rear trunk ones were interesting.
b57129aabcc1180e730c17b5232bf941.jpg

Those look pretty nice, obviously you now need one of those cool ski racks from back in the day, the targa to rear trunk ones were interesting.
b57129aabcc1180e730c17b5232bf941.jpg
I had a ski rack rigged up on the luggage rack that I had on my '79. Used to go skiing with the X to Austria and Switzerland when I was stationed in Germany back in the '80s.

I haven't been on the slopes in years. So the parabolic skis are still in? Those are nice. They're art. I would be afraid to have them get scratched up.
Yep, shaped skis are still in but now they have rocker in the tips and tails to float better and make them quicker in moguls.

I wish I had a photo of my 1st 1976 Mediterranean Blue X1/9 with a ski rack on the frunk driving up the pass. Amazing car in the snow and super cool having the snowboards on the "hood" like a hunter.

I'd also say I'm interested in the ski rack, but after all the time, blood, sweat, tears and $$$ - i don't think I'd take my X up in the snow...

Those skis look really cool on the back of the X! And the Icsunonove ones are really pretty!

Anyone ever seen a rack for windsurfers that fits the X? We don't get much snow here in South Africa :p

wow, didn't expect to start a bidding war. LOL
I will never use it, so as it seems there is a desire for it I will offer it up.
That said, I moved recently and seem to have lost track of the rack. It has to be here somewhere, as I recall it was in the original box, I don't think it has ever been mounted to a car.

I'll keep looking for it.

Reminds me of the vintage "bolt-on" chrome ski racks in the 60's-70's, tailored for specific sports cars. I think companies like ADDCO made them?

Porsche356LuggageRack50s.jpg
356vinter1229747543.jpg

Back