My New X

ibertone86

Daily Driver
It was sad to have parted ways with my 1986 several years ago when electrical issues became too much for me, in spite of all of the good advice I found here. After a long on and off search I am back in with a 1980 that was refurbished by Matt at MB. A rundown and pictures are still posted on the website.
80-X19-GREEN-e.jpg
I am looking for suggestions on the interior, which will be tweaked.
80-X19-GREEN-u%201_zpshqyrx7ht.jpg
80-X19-GREEN-u (1).jpg
Has anyone ever seen tartan in an x?
VW_Westfalia_plaid_seating_fabric_5610_2000x_zpseuh51yvk.jpg
VW_Westfalia_plaid_seating_fabric_5610_2000x.jpg
Thinking of putting it in place of the gray seat and door panel accents. Thoughts? Also, looking for a black stock carpet if anyone has one or knows of one!

Last edited:
Congrats on your new X. It looks really nice and that green is a great color. Having MWB make sure its put together right is a bonus.

On the interior... Without a serious horsepower increase, the X can't make the leap to plaid. :D:cool::) Just kidding. I know the TR7 and TR8s had some plaid interior accents that didn't look out of place. It's your car, so follow your vision.

Personally, I made my interior all black when I changed the exterior color. My 85 was in primer and had the black/grey two-tone seats and door cards when I bought it. I finally had the car repainted this summer and I didn't feel the black/grey wasn't going to work with the new color. I replaced the seat upholstery and used fabric paint to black out the door cards. It works for me.
old85_new_driver_seat.jpg new IMG_1829.JPG

Your green harkens back to the optic green of the '74. I'd take my interior styling cues from that era and go with the "deck chair" style of striped fabric for the seats and door cards, keeping the classic corn-row brown carpet and what looks like an uncracked dash. If the striped deck chair look is not your cup of tea, what about doing a saddle or tobacco interior?

Having MWB prep your X is like cheating, isn't it? Also probably the smartest thing any of us could do. I'd just remove the beer tap shifter and leave the rest but if you could find a shop to remove the wrinkles in the passenger seat that would help.

VW GTIs have sort of a plaid pattern on the seats, even my 2013.

looking for suggestions on the interior, which will be tweaked.

For me (started the Is the X1/9 a Classic thread) I'd be tempted to research the original colour options for that year/model. Many in 1980 had the brown and cream colour. The reasoning being, your newly acquired X looks like a lovely example of an original stock X of the era which is becoming rarer and rarer these days. Once you start mucking around with stuff it's very hard to bring back, such as Dr.Jeff's suggestion to spray everything black.
Embrace the retro brown, as that is a real statement of the era in which the X was born! Long live the 70's !!!

If you paint the dash black and change the carpet to black, then that Tartan fabric will work right for you. Maybe some more Tartan on the door cards will also help balance the interior giving it that vintage euro look.

The original interior seats and door cards were white/parchment. And the seatbelts were orange. Real shagadelic. Paint or dye is not an option so if I happen to come across stock options later they can be pluggged in. Definitely will add some brown or the tartan to the seats and door cards. The tap shifter will be in a drawer most days. Forgot to mention I got some Carrello driving lights. As far as cheating by having MB work it over....I learned a lesson with my '86. It was on jack stands for a month for every hour I drove it. Learned to do some things I never want to do again...transmission in my lap 2x...silver emergency brake stuff all over me...staring at wiring diagrams for hours only to find out it may not have been the correct one.

I would be on the hunt for door cards and seats like this. Or any thing in the tan/buckskin family. BTW Your new toy is beautiful. Congrats and good luck with it.
20180728_111756.jpg

Back