My usual mixed luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xweb

Archive Bot
<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=2><TABLE width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-TOP: 4px" vAlign=top colSpan=2>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]My usual mixed luck<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]September 9 2001 at 10:36 AM[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "j";n54_em = n54_em + "u";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "i";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "h";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "-";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "i";n54_em = n54_em + "r";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "d";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "m";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "u";n54_em = n54_em + "k"; document.write("Julian"); // --> </SCRIPT>Julian <NOSCRIPT> Julian </NOSCRIPT> [/FONT]</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=bottom colSpan=3><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Just a quick update as I have promised more info on the race car.

Yesterday I was called over to my friend's (Trevor) house to give him a hand swapping the engine over in his alfa race car. He had put a conrod through the top of the engine the weekend before on the last lap of his race (he stopped just 30 yds infront of the line - bad luck or what, if he'd crossed he would have finished 3rd in class). We soon discovered that the alfa gearbox has very similar CV-joints at the gearbox to that on the X1/9 including the same annoying allen-key headed bolts. When we discovered that several of them were rounded off we just gave up and said the next owner can sort that problem out (seeing as he was due to sell it in a couple of weeks it isn't a big deal and his friend already knew about the engine).

Trevor's Lancia Y10 (that he normally races) wasn't going to be ready in time for the next race, so he turned to me and asked "how close is the race-car to being fully prepared?". At this point I was a bit dubious as I could see the point of the question in big glaring neon lights. "Err, nearly there - just a few little jobs left...." was my reply. The reponse was "Any chance of borrowing the car for next weeks race?". Having thought it over I agreed (on the condition that I get something in return - other than a crashed car). I arrived home to find that while I was out some b*$t£*d had stolen my spare wheels with the wet tyres. (yes this is just a week after the fire-extinguisher was stolen - or at least I found out that it had been stolen). The upside of this is that I can claim on my house-insurance for them and get the wheels and tyres replaced with new items (£160 per tyre minimum and about £200 per wheel) - something that I couldn't really afford otherwise.

I've spent today finishing most of the little jobs (mostly wiring) so the car now has an oil-catch tank (still in need of the piping for it though), working headlights, brake lights and tail lights and a few other annoying niggles.

Unfortunately it sill needs a tune-up (preferably on a dyno so we can establish where peak power/torque appear and know when to stop revving the engine - it ran past 8000rpm today without any nasty noises) and the brakes need a service. Thankfully Trevor has pretty much agreed to sort all this out (it is only fair after all) which means the car will at last fulfill all of the MSA requirements for racing and I can seriously think about renewing my license and entering for competition (next year that is - or possibly for the winter races if I'm feeling rich).

In exchange for borrowing my car this week, testing it on Thursday (at Castle Combe), racing it on Sunday (again at Castle Combe) and putting the whole thing at risk - I get to drive at the next test session (week Saturday - once more at Castle Combe, proving it to be a really popular place) fully paid for by Trevor who will also provide chauffeur driven transport (towing the trailer) to and from the event - all very handy! The last detail is that I will get to have the noise level tested at no financial risk to myself. In fact Trevor is the one who stands to lose out as it will be raceday when he finds out if it will pass or not.

Naturally I will be attending the race next week so I should be able to get some good photos of the car in action (normally a little difficult while I'm actually in the car). The race series has it's own professional photographer so I may even manage to get some really good photos......I guess Trevor will have to pay for those too!

Julian
=======================================
Visit the lair: [URL="http://www.the-lair.demon.co.uk/"]http://www.the-lair.demon.co.uk [/URL]<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial] [/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]
closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Author[/FONT]</TD><TD>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Reply[/FONT]</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Warren[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Cool as a fellow Dallara bodied X1/9( soon) I can't wait for the pics. <NT><!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]September 9 2001, 6:12 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->
happy.gif
<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial] [/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]
closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "j";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "f";n54_em = n54_em + "f";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "b";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "r";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "x";n54_em = n54_em + "1";n54_em = n54_em + "9";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "m"; document.write("Jeff Zucker"); // --> </SCRIPT>Jeff Zucker <NOSCRIPT> Jeff Zucker </NOSCRIPT>[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 30px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Hey Warren!<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]September 9 2001, 8:22 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 30px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->What kind of power are you planning for that Dallara Kit?

Just Wondering.
happy.gif

'81 X 400hp Turbo project under construction
'87 X 19,000 mi stock FOR SALE!
'78 X 1600cc 130hp dual DCNFs
'73 Porsche 914 (waiting for a V8)
'02 Subaru WRX 227 hp funship
'01 Cheverolet Venture w/ a TV for the kiddies!<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial] [/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]
closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Warren[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 45px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Well........<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]September 10 2001, 7:27 AM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 45px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->I think I am going to resurrect my turbo project.
I am still waiting for some pricing on shipping some Uno turbo motors. But that doesn't look good.
So far it will cost more to ship the motors than what they are worth. This doesn't even include the pound of flesh the Gov't will probably want.
I have most of my material and now that I am going to start cutting the body I think the turbo will go in the trunk. I am also planing to install the body kit after I get the turbo sorted out. And to add to this, I have a friend here who is installing a twincam in his X1/9.
He is close to having it done and I am curious as to what the power will be like. ( maybe this is the way to go???)So to answer your question, I will probably be using a turbo but the twincam isn't out of the picture. ( hell maybe I will do both, a turbo twincam.?!..)
happy.gif
<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "j";n54_em = n54_em + "u";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "i";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "h";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "-";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "i";n54_em = n54_em + "r";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "d";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "m";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "u";n54_em = n54_em + "k"; document.write("Julian Brown"); // --> </SCRIPT>Julian Brown <NOSCRIPT> Julian Brown </NOSCRIPT>[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 60px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->.....just maybe<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]September 10 2001, 11:47 AM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 60px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->I know this is probably pulling at straws, but a friend of mine has a container that he uses to ships odds and ends back and forth over the atlantic. There is usually (so I'm told) spare space in the container so it just might be possible that I can get some items shipped to you.

I'll have to ask first as he may refuse seeing as engines tend to be heavy (and dirty in this case) and might damage the other goods. I have to admit I haven't spoken to him in a while so he may not even have the container any more.

Does it make any difference to the government if the engines are shipped in parts or not? It wouldn't be too difficult to just split the engine so the heads, blocks and manifolds are seperated (and labelled so they can go back together again). More work at this end but it could make things much cheaper overall.

Julian
Visit the lair: [URL="http://www.the-lair.demon.co.uk/"]http://www.the-lair.demon.co.uk [/URL]<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Warren[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 75px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Never thought of that but...<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]September 10 2001, 1:29 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 75px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Any container that comes into Canada arrives at Montreal and then gets shipped to where I live on the west part of Canada.( this would be about 1/2 the expense rite there.)
I am not sure if you know how big Canada is compared to the UK. But it would be the equivalent to going from one end of the UK to the other about 5-6 times.
I would be getting the motors from a breakers in Bushy
which is NW of London rite beside Watford. This is an interesting option if it is available. As for the Gov't, they don't care if the motors are complete or apart. They class them as parts. I could even ship a damaged Uno if I wanted so long as it couldn't be driven again.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "j";n54_em = n54_em + "u";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "i";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "h";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "-";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "i";n54_em = n54_em + "r";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "d";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "m";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "u";n54_em = n54_em + "k"; document.write("Julian"); // --> </SCRIPT>Julian <NOSCRIPT> Julian </NOSCRIPT>[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 90px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->...ok maybe not....shame<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]September 10 2001, 11:23 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 90px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->I can see the problem!

Incidentally - given all the parts you need from the Uno Turbo (if you want the easy method of installation) it would be best to take at least the front half of the car!

The gearbox is needed, as are the driveshafts. The front brake calipers and mounting brackets are a bonus but you also need the fuel pump which is of course at the rear next to the tank....

When I bought my engine I just listed all the parts I needed to the yard and they literally sent me a pallet with the whole front end of the car on it and the fuel pump strapped to the engine.

Julian

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "s";n54_em = n54_em + "p";n54_em = n54_em + "m";n54_em = n54_em + "u";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + "i";n54_em = n54_em + "k";n54_em = n54_em + "i";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "q";n54_em = n54_em + "w";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "s";n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "t"; document.write("Stefan Mullikin"); // --> </SCRIPT>Stefan Mullikin <NOSCRIPT> Stefan Mullikin </NOSCRIPT>[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 105px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->You'd be better off buying a new fuel pump<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]September 13 2001, 3:35 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 105px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->I agree with getting as many donor parts as possible, but with a turbo car, fuel is its life blood. Do not re-use an old pump if you can avoid it. Many, many turbo owners have lost motors due to weak fuel pumps running the engine lean at inoportune times.

I'm assuming the engine runs at around 45-50psi statci pressure with the fuel pressure rising with the boost pressure at a 1:1 ratio. For example, 55psi static + 5psi of boost = 60psi at the injectors. so you cna see that when under boost (especially the nuts that run upwards of 30psi on their race cars) the engine needs a lot of fuel flowing.

Just a warning from an experienced turbo car driver.

Good luck!
Stefan Mullikin
Portland, OR
1980 X-1/9
1984 Rampage 2.2
1986 GLH Turbo
1987 CSX Turbo #106 of 750
1988 CSX-Thrifty Turbo #3 of 1500<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back