My Yugo GV

Rajko84

Low Mileage
I want to introduce myself. My name is Rajko. I am originally from Belgrade Serbia. And my first car was 1.3 Yugo. So when I came to USA in 2001 I left it behind. After college and two kids, I ran into Yugo GV here in Pensacola FL about 3 years ago. It had timing belt broken so engine was gone. I bought it from a guy who collect scrap for $400:)
So now finally after 3 years we started rebuilding the engine.

So my plan is to get most of the parts replaced, but what I would like to learn is how can I lower it and also what parts are interchangeable with 128. Because I am having trouble finding performance parts for and also replacement parts. So any help would be appreciated.
Thank you
Regards Rajko

Welcome to Xweb Rajko

Welcome to Xweb Rajko!

I don't have a Yugo, so I really can't answer your question on how to lower your car. Hopefully someone will have your answer and post it soon.

Good luck on your project, it looks like you are making good progress on the engine. :thumbsup:

mechanically, yes.

The engine, suspension, etc should all be the same if not very close.

Just about all engine parts that fit an 1100 128 will also fit your 1100 Yugo...

Suspension ... some parts will interchange, but the struts AFAIK are more like the ritmo/strada/regata type (slight differences in length and the top of the strut shaft) as they use a different top mounting. Lower controlarms look just like 128 units'but I believe they use the larger bolt (M10 as opposed to an M8 like an early 128) on the inner mounting... so a 128 style LCA will need the inner bush changed out...

Quite a lot will interchange from a 128, but don't just assume it will as it may be more like the slightly later model (european) Fiats like ritmo/strada/regata.

There are a few good threads on this forum regarding 128 and other FWD Fiat spring lengths... do a search and you will probably find the info you want.

SteveC

Welcome!

I have owned three, two '88 GVLs and one '90 GV Plus. I still have the Plus which is 1300 cc FI five speed with AC. One of the '88 s was my son's first car and he still owns and drives it. The best lowering advice I would give and the way I will lower my '90 is to find some stock Scorpion rear springs. They swap out for the stock Yugo springs and all the strut hardware remains. Matt at Midwest may have stock rear springs from Scorpion (not sure) This will give a nice 2" plus drop on the front. The ride is still very nice quality as well and no drilling of any sort is needed. The rear is much easier and parts can be sourced in any good hardware or fastener shop. Just decide how far you want to drop and buy longer hardened bolts nuts etc then swap those fasteners out with your newer longer ones on either side of the leaf spring add spacers to move the hangers down and that will drop the rear. You can search around and find more info on the rear like adding a leaf to firm up and so on but I just dropped it. My son restored the rear ride because he carried friends in the back and it would bump and rub under load. Couple other things... I figured these things out only because I owned or work on all these car at once and swapped things around. I had big problems with the front suspension on the '88 after upgrading the cam and carb. My '90 has a different and much better set up to handle the added power of the 1300 I have never seen this posted but you can buy the control arm bushings for the 1300 car and install in place of all the rubber washers and stuff installed on the 1100 car... You will need to first remove the bushing and rod from the 1100 control arms because the new bushing are designed to do away with those parts and the new set up is much better with the torque. Any of the Fiat vendors can help with getting the right parts for your GV and Jay at Yugoparts is a good source also. I DO NOT ENDORSE NOR DO I DISCOURAGE THE USE OF ANY VENDOR OR VENDORS OVER ANOTHER. The more parts I can source the better able I am to keep my car running. Last I am not positive but am pretty certain the that new 500 wheels are a direct fit for our cars. I have run X1/9 wheels on my Yugo and the look and ride are nice but the offset is wrong and they stick out a bit too far. My go to tire size is 175/60-13 for all my Fiats and Yugos tireseasy has a couple brands in that size all the time.
Tire rack has a bunch of aftermarket wheels for the new 500. I am going to buy one 14" wheel and a 60 or 50 series tire and make sure it all fits. I want a larger wheel but do not want that much more in diameter and not much width because the stress on our bearing is a problem.
Good luck with everything and welcome!
Rocco
You can see a photo of my Yugo just Google 1100 abarth yugo and it should be the first image it is white and had red and black graphics I designed to indicate the fact that my car had Abarth parts installed... Fun little car!

I like the white wheels!

One of my favorite color schemes is the white monochrome... looks great IMO post photos when you choose and as you go.
Regards
Rocco

go fast parts

Midwest Bayless and Stoles Race Shop both have some go fast bits for 128s and Yugos. Also the odd thing will pop up on ebay once in a while. b-

Back