Mystery Part: No Clue

Discussion in 'Discussion Forum' started by Cratecruncher, Nov 25, 2018.

1. Cratecruncher

Cratecruncher True Classic

Can someone please help me identify what this is and where it goes? It was found lying in the bottom of the front trunk when I bought the car.

Attached Files:

2. MikeHynes

MikeHynes True Classic

Yes, that's a trim piece on the top seal. A '77 that I bought was missing that part and I was able to score a NOS one form Midwest Bayless.

JimD and Cratecruncher like this.
  3. Cratecruncher

Wow, that was quick. Thank you!!! This part has been driving me nuts!

4. Eugene Harvey

Eugene Harvey True Classic

Here's a photo, as it's an annoying little piece of plastic in the corner of the Targa Top, that is easily broken and hard to replace.
    TargaBit.JPG

Cratecruncher likes this.
  5. Cratecruncher

With your help I managed to find it's mirror sibling somehow barely hanging on in the location you pictured. I coaxed both pieces back into their intended shape with a bit of thermal persuasion and will attempt a stronger reattachment in the next few days. I can't believe these flimsy parts are still with my car after 32 years!

6. LarryC

LarryC LarryC-Albuquerque

Hmm. I have that part and knew where it went, but could never figure out exactly what that part accomplishes. Any words of clarification?

7. Eugene Harvey

Eugene Harvey True Classic

Judging by its shape and where is it, my guess it would be protect the rubber weather stripping when putting the Roof on, as the motion is down and forward and the rather crude strip along the window edge would rip the rubber to shreds without that little bit of plastic.

kmead likes this.
  8. Dan Sarandrea (Phila)

Dan Sarandrea (Phila) Waitin' On Parts...

Hit up the MWB site and you'll find that there are two versions of this item, and early part with a nubby projection on the lower edge, and a later part that looks more like yours, without the nubby projection.