Need Help Fast

pdxgeo

True Classic
Was tuning up my 128, swapped in new cap and rotor and car won't start. Put old ones back in and car won't start. Spun cap 180, won't start.

The car has a later elec ignition out of an X I think. Can anyone confirm which plug wires go where and also does anyone have a wiring diagram for the Bosch electronic ignition setup?

Thanks

firing order is 1-3-4-2 in a clockwise direction. Make sure that at top dead center the rotor is pointing to the #4 plug contact.

what is possible...

to put back incorrectly? Wire order obviously but the rotor only "seats" in one position on the shaft right? The car was running fine (if a little rough) when I started.

Yes, the rotor only seats one way

to put back incorrectly? Wire order obviously but the rotor only "seats" in one position on the shaft right? The car was running fine (if a little rough) when I started.

If I were you, the first thing I would do is determine if you have spark. If you do, then the spark is not arriving at the right time. If you don't, then the problem is somewhere in the triggering circuit or coil energizing circuit.

Pull a spark plug, plug it into the plug wire, and lay it on the block where the threads or base of the spark plug are touching the block. Turn the car over and see if there is a spark at the plug.

Pete

i will check for spark

When i try to start it there is an occasional ping (i think thats what it is) and some smoke comes out the tailpipe...

not yet actually

It's pinging like mad. I need to rotate the dizzy anyhow to remove #1 plug and replace it so I will need to re set the timing.

I never rotated the dizzy in the first pl;ace so I find this odd but hopefully things will work out as they should...

Back