Never sell your boss a FIAT

I never owned an 850 but I did drive a coupe and a Spyder. I thought they drove better than anything else in that price range at the time Fiat was selling them. I certainly preferred the handing of the Spyder to any of the British sports cars of that time. Also looked better too.

Never understood the appeal of the 850s, just not a good product for the US market.
I agree as to the overall market. They are not highway cars and would be more suited to a European road system. But if you are in an area where you are close to rural roads or in a small city or suburb area they are great fun.
That being said how European cars from the area really suited the US highway system?

Ha, ha - no offence taken (at least by me!) - this is such an esoteric hobby that there is inevitably a wealth of opinions/thoughts/preferences to be had (hell, look at the number of comments on the Stereo System Options in the Discussions section). That being said, I am willing to admit that on more than one occasion while lying under the car in my garage at 1 AM trying to fix something I have been know to curse all things Italian, but I eventually get over it and the fondness returns :).

Since we've already gone way off topic I'll add this.

The thread title (Never sell your boss a Fiat) reminds me of a work situation at a very young age. As a student I was employed part time in a menial job. Quickly realized the boss was a coke addict and his supplier was a coworker of mine....someone also working under him. It was very apparent the boss gave that employee a LOT of latitude; she was always late for work, goofed off all the time, took long lunches, called in sick frequently, had a nasty attitude, etc, but she was never reprimanded. Eventually the boss was found to be embezzling the company and his drug problem also came out. He was terminated (posted as a "medical issue"). And needless to say the subject coworker did not last long after that. So an alternative title might be "never sell your boss your drugs". Really not that different from the one above. :p

I think the article was hilarious. I've had my 850 Spider for more than 10 years, sure I've done a lot of work on it but I've driven it quite a bit, include several medium-long trips, and it has never stranded me to the point of needing a tow. Yes, there've been a few roadside repairs, but I've always been able to get it home. Wonderful little cars, the real reason I don't drive it much nowadays has nothing to do with the 850 inherently, it's all about the millions of caffeinated cellphone-engrossed incompetent/aggressive nut-jobs driving their two- or three-ton SUVs and pickups, who would vaporize me in any sort of accident.

Back