New addition, Because I needed another one or 2

BEEK

True Classic
This is an 82 spider, 34,000 original miles documented. Absolutely no rust. Always garage kept. I am the 3rd owner. No dash cracks, no console cracks. all original! The interior (fiat blue) is darn near perfect.No rips or tears in the seats. Has port installed a/c. factory Radio blank in proper color. Has been painted. But what 39 year old silver car hasn't. It has a 5 foot paint job on it. New Navy Blue canvas soft top installed.
IMG_3941.jpeg

This is a 83 Pininfarina. 78k miles. needs a little work but very nice car to start with. runs and drives, just doesnt have brakes!
IMG_3951.jpeg

BTW that is my sons new abarth in the background. Mine is red.....lol he wanted to see its older cousin

Brought the car home today! Wow is all i can say. I feel nostalgic with my reaction. the heater smells like 1982 he car drives like 1982. Looking through the paperwork, I have receipts from 1982 through 2009. verifying mileage. the people i purchased it from say they only put 2k miles on it while they owned it. So I have a perfect paper trail for the millage. I can document every oil change since new! I had no idea.

Today I reinstalled the canvas top to the best of my abilities. the top had been cut along the front and imho it wasn't where I wanted it to be. it is much better now once I got the top fixed. I kinda cleaned the inside. But it was cold for us fair weathered friends in Florida. So Ill wait till tomorrow!

I went into the parts cars in my backyard and found some missing pats from this car and installed them. It was missing the rear top trim above the back seats along with the Bow covers, easy to fix. I glued the top and relocated it to where it should be!

Tomorrow I will fix the reading of the temp gauge. it reads hotter than it is. my infrared thermometer concurs with the sending unit.

If I were to have a complaint. The brakes are not what I would want. That will be fixed!

Looks almost exactly like the 82 my son inherited from my father. Same color combo. My sons car has much less of that surface corrosion seen in your engine bay. Probably because it was a California car, 43k original miles

Attachments

• 7D2AA976-D157-4EA8-AF55-7DA8F6C2C44B.jpeg
    7D2AA976-D157-4EA8-AF55-7DA8F6C2C44B.jpeg
    366.5 KB · Views: 101
Silver was the original color of my 80 Spider. Maybe we could do a swap? 😉
Just kidding...

On tuesday, after driving around for 70 miles last weekend. I decided to drive the car to work. 5am, got up started the car, there was frost on it! ( now im working in shorts) Warmed it up. Started to drive, got 1 mile from the house it cuts off and wont restart! im like WTF!. My son, who was with me, said; "now you know why they sold it so cheap". I made him push! Got the car re-fired and it was barely running. I kept the RPM's up and made it home on maybe 2 cylinders. Swapped cars and went to work. We did notice the catalytic converter was very hot. So i thought it may be plugged. But speculation.

had ordered a few parts from our vendors! New rubber air boot, distributor cap and rotor (mine were original marelli parts) and a few other parts.

Set out this morning to repair the non running condition. So I started by using my fuel injection diagnosis manual. First test was coolant temp resistance. Knowing that the coolant temp sensor does cause a lot of issues. the standard was 1600 ohms +/- I got 2.5M ohms!. So now I know what the issue is. over fueling! as resistance goes down the system leans out. This went the other way so it was basically dumping fuel into the engine! I checked the sensor. It was good. but there was a section or wire that had been replaced at the sensor ( someone installed a new connector plug).
I cut that out and checked it and poof, all of the resistance was in 2" of the replaced connector. So I went to the parts yard, in my backyard and salvaged a connector form a zagato that I will never fix. Checked it and 0 ohms, installed it and rechecked the resistance per the manual. It was now within specification. So I started it! (removed the cat converter. So very loud, but no exhaust issues) IT ran on 2-3 cylinders, but much better. At this point I decided to pull the spark plugs. Yes, they were wet and fouled. So I replaced them, the cap, rotor, wires and air boot while i was at it. Runs perfect again. I also did a compression test when I had the plugs out. results below!

I will do a photographic essay on my bringing this car back to perfection. Definitely the one I am keeping. 34K original miles. Not going to modify it much. Brakes and exhaust and maybe intake. (I have my own ideas how to improve that) Nothing will not be undetectable reversible.

IMG_9689.jpg
IMG_9690.jpg
IMG_9691.jpg
IMG_9692.jpg
IMG_9693.jpg

Last edited:
Drove the car to school today. Put it on the lift and gave it a good once over. Here is what I noticed in the 39year old 34k mile car!.

1. the front wheel bearings were a little loose (adjusted)
2. The upper control arm bushings are not that good (going to replace all bushings)
3. The tie rod end boots are deteriorated, no major play (replacing all tie rod ends and center link)
4. Ball joints are in great shape (replacing anyway)
5. The front brakes! (Where do I start)
a. the brake pads were original! , say FIAT on the backing. Never been changed.
b. rotors blued. very glazed.
c. calipers, i decided to pull the dust boots and look, They were like gum! no visible leaks, but the brakes had a little drag.
d. the stopping power of the car was maybe 50% of what it should be. If there was to be a panic stop, the only PANIC would be the driver.
(going to upgrade the front brakes, to vented rotors and modern calipers. Going to rebuild and keep all the original parts, stainless braided hoses)
6. Rear Brakes
a. the rotors look like the front, blued and glazed
b. the pads are original
c. the drivers rear caliper is weeping from the back, no pedal loss
(going to replace the rear calipers, rotors, pads with greenstuff, stainless braided hoses and hand brake cable, just because)
7. brake compensator, (just going to replace because, why not)
8. Brake master cylinder (just because)

under the car!
9. noticed a transmission leak, may be from the front seal, the speedometer drive appears to be leaking and the rear transmission seal. (I will pull the transmission, and reseal it and refresh the GL1. Also replace the rear main seal)
10. the rear transmission mount is toast. (replace the mount)
11. The doughnut looks good, but it is 39 years old (replace)
12. replacing the shocks, just because. Saving the original ones
13. the prior owner replaced the fuel pump, filter and fuel tank. he broke the rubber mount for the filter retainer and lost the filter bracket. So i will source them and replace them. (the paint on the new tank is already coming off)
14. the exhaust! this is horrific. cobbed together center muffler and who knows exactly what happened to the rear muffler, the internals are all loose. and it appears to have exploded or been bent or who knows! (ordered an ansa center muffler and I have a excellent ansa rear muffler from another car, so i will be putting them on.)

under the hood!
15. coolant hoses are not original, there is bulging in the short water pump hose. Thermostat functions perfectly, has been replaced. (replacing them with silicone hoses)
16. timing belt is original! 39 years! ( replacing that, tensioner and water pump and all the front seals)
17. the radiator was replaced at some point. or someone bought a plastic drain plug. But looks perfect inside. they were chasing a over heating problem. The problem was a bad sending unit, the overheat switch activated way too early. and they did not know how to bleed the system)
18. the oil pan has no scratches on it! wow!

I know this list sounds extensive but it is what i feel is necessary to bring this up to date on service and a better brake feel. I want to really say that other than the muffler and weak brakes the car runs and drives perfectly. I am a bit obsessive, or so I have been told. I am keeping all of the original parts so if one day it makes sense to put it back as original, I will be able to.

I will also be servicing the engine. Already replaced the plugs, cap and rotor (the original marelli parts were still there) plug wires. pickup and vac advance. I will be adjusting the valves as im sure that has never been done. Pressure washing under the hood and general clean up under the hood.

Then I will address the very minor imperfections in the interior. I am thinking about installing a oil pressure gauge from a pininfarina, to replace the non functioning clock.
IMG_9704.jpg

IMG_9703.jpg
IMG_9701.jpg

IMG_9707.jpg
IMG_9711.jpg
IMG_9718.jpg

IMG_9719.jpg
IMG_9712.jpg
IMG_9713.jpg

Back