ng_randolph

Bjorn H
After a few false starts I now have a motorized antenna on my car. The car came to me with what I believe is the original manually retractable antenna. I first bought a fairly cheap antenna on eBay (reccomended by someone here, can’t remember who). It would always extend, but only occasionaly retract fully so I never installed it. The second attempt was an Üro branded unit. It would extend and retract is it should, but the mounting hardware crumbled between my fingers like Ritz-crackers. After having no luck with the cheaper antennas I shelled out $85 (now listed at $75) for a RetroSound PA−03B from Crutchfield. This antenna is short both below and above the fender at 8 ½” and 18” respectively. Six fixed-angle mounting bases and one adjustable base were included with the antenna. The 8° base was a perfect fit for the stock location and hole size; the adjustable base would have required a larger hole. Below I anchored the antenna to one of the bumper ear mounting bolts and to one of studs for the side marker.

Since this is an ‘85 it has factory wiring for a motorized antenna, compatible with the RetroSound unit. There was no antenna switch in the car when I got it, but I bought one from Midwest Bayless years ago.

The drain hose connection on the antenna is left open for now, as I never drive in the rain. I may add a small catch can with a bit of sodium polyacrylate powder later. Maybe.

The cable that came with the antenna was way longer than needed, but the Motorola-style antenna connectors are rather crude and it was easy to shorten the cable.

Reception is good, and plenty of stations with period correct music come in nice and clear.

20220807_180107.jpg
20230115_220227.jpg

Last edited:
Back