New duco for the X1/9

Hybridfiat

Power costs money, more power cost more money
Ive been in comms with a UK supplier of 'skins' for various parts of the X. Ive got a quote on: Door cards, centre console, handbrake, gearshift and dash (1980s) in a non-standard tan colour (dearer than black). It comes in at US$740pp or AU$1100. Stretch and glue yourself. The back panel behind the seats I'll do myself in leather. I've been searching the ads for 2nd hand sofas in leather because the backs are often in leather and are usually in good nick, never having been sat on. A cheap source of leather.
I have asked if they will do seats, but sadly not yet. They are increasing their range and I'll post a new thread if they do. I'll post a thread of the fitting should I get the skins from them.:rolleyes:
http://www.ebaystores.com.au/J-F-CUSTOMS/_i.html?_nkw=fiat+x1/9&submit=Search&_sid=668506186

Attachments

• Duco colours.jpg
    Duco colours.jpg
    224.3 KB · Views: 95
Using leather where it actually isn’t used is a waste in my oponion, waste of money and animal.
Before I decided on material of upholstery, I where at factory’s of leather shop, don’t remember what she said, but there is diferences between leathers for sofas and car seats, so better buy good material. Job is much more expensive in all that process.

You will have to contact them through Ebay. I had success that way.
You are correct mkmini, the leather from the sofa will be low grade. But I intend to use it on the panel behind the seats only. That and the odd bit of trim that needs attention.
I have recovered a couple of seats with sofa 'face' leather and it worked reasonably well. The face is higher grade than the back and they were very expensive sofas in their day.. However it was a shedload of work and I don't have the experience to do it really well.

I think choice of upholstery materials might be sort of like choice of paint colors - personal preferences will differ greatly. While leather car interiors look great and are considered a 'luxury', I personally prefer other materials. I've had plenty of cars with leather, vinyl, cloth, sheep skin (fur), you name it, and I find leather to be uncomfortable when sitting on it for more than a couple of minutes. I actually prefer fabrics (certain cloth materials) for the area of the seats that you are in contact with. But that is just me, I realize others will have different opinions. However I agree that regardless of what type of material you choose, a car interior definitely requires some that is specifically made for the conditions/exposure it will get. Generally speaking, leather is typically thought to be a much longer lasting choice over most options. However that is assuming it is properly cared for its entire life in the car; certainly a LOT more maintenance than all of the other options.

I think choice of upholstery materials might be sort of like choice of paint colors - personal preferences will differ greatly. While leather car interiors look great and are considered a 'luxury', I personally prefer other materials. I've had plenty of cars with leather, vinyl, cloth, sheep skin (fur), you name it, and I find leather to be uncomfortable when sitting on it for more than a couple of minutes. I actually prefer fabrics (certain cloth materials) for the area of the seats that you are in contact with. But that is just me, I realize others will have different opinions. However I agree that regardless of what type of material you choose, a car interior definitely requires some that is specifically made for the conditions/exposure it will get. Generally speaking, leather is typically thought to be a much longer lasting choice over most options. However that is assuming it is properly cared for its entire life in the car; certainly a LOT more maintenance than all of the other options.

I am a big fan of Alcantara. So grippy. But only for inserts where you butt hits. I was going to recolor the dash from brown to black, But this cover maybe a way to go. Has anyone done it? Would like to see some pics.

Back