New lift

Rodger

True Classic
It seems like forever since I have been on the Forum, but moving and downsizing has had to take precedence over Fiats for the past few months. But I have been slowly making progress getting my new garage set-up so I can get back to the X projects soon. Only a few more house projects on the honey-do list.

On Friday, I was able to get a buddy of mine with a truck, to drive with me down to Portland to pick up a new four post lift from Portland Service Station Supply. Really nice guys, had it all ready to go and loaded on the trailer in about 15 minutes. Plus, no sales tax! Then back home where we proceeded to unpack it and put it together. I went with Direct Lift and am very happy with the quality and operation. Good instructions and no missing parts.

IMG_3450.jpg
IMG_3451.jpg

This was pretty much the only way I could get the space I needed to work in a two car garage, plus keep the wife happy as she insists that she gets one side to park her car inside.

I worry about people who store a car on a lift in a garage, AND put a cover on it! Nice setup. You could get a second car under the lift it if was on a rotisserie too.

I never thought I would ever splurge on a lift but when we found this house that had a 13 foot ceiling in the garage, it was just begging for it. Plus, crawling around on the floor under jack stands was really getting old. As am I.

Understand the crawling and old bodies. Had to replace the exhaust on my Miata, a simple job, just undo the two nuts holding the exhaust flange to the cat. Except I couldn't get the nuts loose, thought about using my torch and then thought again that my 71 year old body is tired of this crap and took the car to my local mechanic who did the work for $70. If I had your lift I would have gotten the nuts loose eventually.

I bought a 4 post lift last year. It is one of the better decisions I have made. (The best was marrying my wife 43 years ago)
It makes it so easy to change the fluids in cars now. The drawback is working on wheels and brakes. A two post lift would be better, but I do not trust myself to get the cars centered and balanced.

Nice! Do you mind sharing the brand/model lift? I finally finished (except the excruciating last 5% of some exterior trim) my new garage, I've been able to enjoy (mostly just the concept because life & moving things/setting up has taken precedent over the long queue of car projects...not even all fun Fiat ones). I got a 2 post lift for work, not storage, but I am exploring 4 post lifts.

I'm envying the concept of a nice wall mounted wheel rack also. Hmmmm

I bought a bendpak. It is the standard unit they sell. I do not recall the model.
Looks like Rodger went with a direct lift based on his posting. They are pretty equivalent in function.

I bought a bendpak. It is the standard unit they sell. I do not recall the model.
Looks like Rodger went with a direct lift based on his posting. They are pretty equivalent in function.
I second the Bendpak choice. Just wish they were still painted blue.

Ah, doh! Somehow I missed “Direct” earlier. It looks like it has a nice smallish footprint which is handy when you’re jockeying things around in the garage

I looked at the Bendpak and it does appear to be perhaps better quality, but it is considerably more expensive. Plus, it requires 220v for the motor, whereas the Direct Lift works fine plugged into a standard 110v, 15 amp circuit. The Bendpak also requires 30 CFM compressed air to release the locks to lower the lift. The Direct Lift as well as most of the similar ones on the market uses a simple mechanical lever to release the locks.

Back