New member with a 1.9 Stroker

Gtturbo

True Classic
Hi guys, found this forum whilst searching for something on google, read a few threads on here and signed up.

Im from the uk and have just completed building my 1.9 stroker engine for my punto GT. I have got a huge spec list so I wont bore you and write it all up. It made 336bhp at the flywheel with a GT2871R turbo with full boost just under 4000rpm, reving to 7500. Aiming for just under 400bhp with a better manifold as im using a standard one at the moment and a bigger exhaust system.

I read somewhere that these can also be used for the x19's.. If anyone wants to build there own 1.9 stroker I would be more than happy to supply the parts for you :)

Thanks.

What is the original displacement of the engine before stroking?

What are the critical dimensions before stroking, ie, bore spacing, bore, stroke?

What are the crticial dimensions after, ie, bore and stroke (bore spacing never changes)?

If you are not starting out with an X1/9 engine block, what are you using?

If you are using an engine block from a Punto, how do you know it will mate well (bolt pattern, ring gear, starter, clutch and flywheel, etc) with an x1/9 trans?

400bhp? Bl**dy hell!

I'm building a 1.9 turbo over the winter for my black Dallara rep. I would be very interested in reading your specs. I take it you're using an X1/9 block? I'm looking for somewhat less output than yours - 250bhp would be quite enough for me!

Are you using Wossner pistons? Can you get me a set?

PS - I'm on the Punto Sports forum too.

Cheers R

Dan,

The X1/9 gearbox will bolt up but the PGT flywheel and clutch (215mm diameter as I recall) is too big. You can use the X1/9 flywheel with a suitably uprated clutch, or the Uno Turbo Mk2 flywheel and clutch (200mm diameter) with a Regata 100S clutch disc, and some metal shaved from inside the bellhousing for clearance.

To answer most of the questions above, the block I am using is the fiat Punto sporting 1.6 block which is identical to the tipo block and also the x19 block (not 100% on that but pretty sure)

The standard stroke for these are 67.4mm and with another crank the new stroke is 78.4mm. All three engine blocks accept the Punto gt flywheel, Clutch and gearbox which is the best route to go down as these can handle over 300bhp+. Depending on the torque the standard clutch can take 240lbs, anything over I would recommend something uprated.

The bore size of these engine blocks are 86.4mm standard if I'm not mistaken and this will have to be enlarged to 87mm with forged pistons. With the combination of these you get a 1872cc engine. Depending on what compression ratio you want you can have anything between 8s to 9s.. Reason why it's low is because it'll be turbo charged. Mine is currently at 8.5:1

Yeah I can provide you with pistons rachealjf, anything else you may need please pm me :)

Impressive

Hi,

very cool.

Two problems with realizing these numbers in an X1/9.

1) The X has much more traction, so driveline components that hold up in a FWD application may not in the midengine car.

2) Intercooler location: most simple Uno Turbo swaps involve mounting the stock uno intercooler in the X1/9 engine compartment, which is obviously very inefficient. I have not seen Water/Air intercoolers in an X with very good results yet.

I am curious so "bore us" with the details...

What is the recipe for 336hp and what does the hp/torque curve look like? 177hp per liter would be awesome. That means a 1.5 should be able to make 265hp correct? I wouldn't mind that. Standard manifold too, wow. I would like to see how it is done. This is a SOHC too correct????

What is the recipe for 336hp and what does the hp/torque curve look like? 177hp per liter would be awesome. That means a 1.5 should be able to make 265hp correct? I wouldn't mind that. Standard manifold too, wow. I would like to see how it is done. This is a SOHC too correct????

Recipe would be good head work, decent camshaft, bigger inlet manifold, stroked bottom end and a gt2871r :) with a good map. I also have a 50/50 mixture of methanol/water injection, which on the day didnt give the car more power but made the power/torque more constant and lower the inlet temps ect.

I will post the graph up a bit later on.

Yeah that's the sohc. Im looking to one day achieve over 400bhp :)

Yeah, looking for more detail

Your response is pretty common knowledge, I was looking for specific details. I am very interested to see how the guys with the 1.9s seem to get so much hp. I had a moderately built 97 Audi 1.8 at 200ish hp (KO4 turbo conversion and melted the turbine with that) and a very built 02 WRX 2.0 engine that did not produce those numbers. The WRX is a good example, twin cam cross flow head with better port design, an XEDE ECU with an aggressive map, no cats, header, down pipe, and exhaust tuned for optimized midrange RPM, stock compression, modified turbo for boost creep control, ports matched and cleaned up, WOT peak was 18psi (1.24bar) etc, etc. Larger displacement, better design and I was somewhere between 300 and 325hp. I ran right where the STIs were at 325hp (2.5ltr). I know the Fiat SOHC engine pretty well and man I just don't see how you guys can do it. I have bounced the math off of the possibilities several times and I calculate that 200hp is about as extreme as you can get with some drivability and reliability. I am interested in learning what you guys are doing. Intake design (volume and shape), cam spec (intake and exhaust, lift, profile, duration, overlap), chamber shape, port shape, valve shape, valve seat angles, piston type and shape, rpm range of power, mass or internal friction reduction, flywheel weight / diameter, turbo plumbing, throttle body(s) type and position, exhaust design (tube diameter, lengths, tri-y or 4-1, turbo trim, timing/afr curve, etc etc. To get that much hp it is not just bolt and go from the parts bin, you guys are doing something very different to uncork the jeannie from the bottle.

There is nothing different mate I assure you. A 1.4 Punto gt made 325bhp and 263lbs.. Only difference between that and my 1.9 is the power deliverance. His car was on full boost at 4700 mine is 3900.. So it can be done in a 1.4 also. But much better feeling with a 1.9. His now got a 1.6 with 300bhp and 250lbs Punto gt non stroked, still on the Punto gt crank just larger pistons

Ulix

which charge coolers (water to air exchangers) did you see in X applications and what were the problems?

I know you are telling us something cool.

It would be great to get your spec list. You started with one of these animals right?
1.4 Turbo 1,372 cc I4 131-136 PS (96-100 kW; 129-134 hp) at 5600-5750 rpm 200-208 N·m (148-153 lb·ft) at 3000 rpm 7.9:1
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_Punto

So that would mean you made a 258% power improvement on an already high performance tuned engine. I am looking for the recipe. I am thinking whatever you are doing should make primo power in the 1.5ltr assuming the recipe is scalable for the displacement.

Yeah that's what it is standard. I baught the car with an already bigger turbo (gt2554r) on it with a rubbish map which only made 207bhp. I got it remmapped after I added a few more parts ect. Made 248bhp with 211lbs at 19psi. Then i put a gt2560r on the car a year later, it made 255bhp with the same lbs at 24-25psi.. After that I wanted to do something different :)

This is with the gt2554r at 248bhp: against a e92 m3 (the gt with the body kit made 293bhp with 217lbs with a gt28rs. On the video it hadn't been mapped yet. My one is the one that goes second.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFaLbNr58Qg"]Punto Gt 248hp vs M3 E92 420bhp - YouTube[/ame]

Spec list is for the current 336bhp & 273lbs:

Fiat coupe 20vt inlet manifold with the ports opened up to match the head.
Piper 300 rally camshaft with vernier pulley
Big head spec
Seperate ring head gasket
Forged 87mm pistons, with forged conrods
Devils own water meth injection
Gearbox with Quaife LSD
Arps head studs
Bigger 3inch afm which works with the standard ecu.
Gt2871r with .64 exhaust housing
Thats it of the top of my head.

This is what is sounds like: (will get some more vids up soon)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aotPIIfe1lg"]Punto GT 1.9 8V - YouTube[/ame]

He doesn't know if the parts they've used in the Punto engine can be used on the X1/9 1.5 engine.

I would be very curious about a package that could be installed in an x1/9 block:
-87mm forged pistons
-87.4mm crank from the Stilo
-forged con rods to suit the above
-16v head
-suitable cam

Could you get 150HP and 150 ft-lbs of torque from that?

I'd like to skip the turbo.

You won't get the 16V head to fit the X1/9 block. The 16V block is altered to suit - it's more like the big brother TC, with a symmetrical head bolt arrangement and oil drains on both sides.

Everything else is doable from what I have read.

Back