Dannyx19

Low Mileage
Hi ,
Just to say a quick hello. Came across the xwebforum whilst trawling through some youtube videos the other day and decided to join. I have owned my 1980 standard for over 10 years now . Sadly it off the road with an engine issue and also needs some bodywork doing (the dreaded rust bug ! ).

I am based in the UK and am also a member of the UK X19owners club although you forum seems to have a lot more traffic.

Looking forward to reading all about other X19er's on the forum from the USA and beyond.

Regards

Danny

A couple of years ago when the topic came up we discovered that there were only about 350 or so X1/9s still registered for the road in GB, a sad state of affairs that probably explains the lack of activity on the UK owners club forum.

Glad you found us!

From time to time USA owners will ask about euro versions of the X1/9, and ask about parts for various FIAT cars that never made it over to the USA, so don't be a stranger!

Hi Dan,
Yes I think our climate has taken it's toll on the Italian metal in the X19. I have seen similar figures although I think there are around 850 which are registered as SORN " statuary off road notification" so they are sitting in garages like mine X19 is hoping to be brought back to life.

Hi ,
Just to say a quick hello. Came across the xwebforum whilst trawling through some youtube videos the other day and decided to join. I have owned my 1980 standard for over 10 years now . Sadly it off the road with an engine issue and also needs some bodywork doing (the dreaded rust bug ! ).

I am based in the UK and am also a member of the UK X19owners club although you forum seems to have a lot more traffic.

Looking forward to reading all about other X19er's on the forum from the USA and beyond.

Regards

Danny
Danny, welcome to the community. This is a great resource with lots of folk willing to help with sound advice. Good luck with your X and have lots of fun with it.

Welcome Danny,

Sad to hear so few exxes are still on the roads in the UK. Another speciality car with far lower numbers that is still on UK roads, Saab 9000 Aero.

As for the rust bug, it is common to any car or technological item made of steel. Nature has no brand preference and treats all items made from iron oxide much identical. While rust and corrosion protection for steel body production cars have improved over the years an dependent on a host of other factors. Over time and exposure to service they all will eventually be affected by rust.

What is the issue with the engine that has disabled this exxe from being back on the road?

Bernice

Hi ,

Regards

Danny

Welcome Danny,

Sad to hear so few exxes are still on the roads in the UK. Another speciality car with far lower numbers that is still on UK roads, Saab 9000 Aero.

As for the rust bug, it is common to any car or technological item made of steel. Nature has no brand preference and treats all items made from iron oxide much identical. While rust and corrosion protection for steel body production cars have improved over the years an dependent on a host of other factors. Over time and exposure to service they all will eventually be affected by rust.

What is the issue with the engine that has disabled this exxe from being back on the road?

Bernice

Hi Bernice,
I think the car standing in a garage for several years was the main reason for the rust issues although living on the coast without a garage for a time did not help.

I thought the engine problem was a valve seat issue when we moved over to unleaded petrol a few years ago. Over a 6 month period the car started to sound more like a tractor. I am no mechanic so the car came off the road and then work etc took over and it just sat there. I have been told to check for leaks around the exhaust inlet before jumping to conclusions about the head. 1st priority however was to get the car to move (like a fool I left the handbrake on ). I have stripped the back brakes and have new discs/pads and brake lines on the way. The engine still moves by hand so I am hoping that a new battery and the usual checks will see the car move under it's own power. My membership photo shows it washed and on the drive although I had to push it there. It has given me a boost to see it out. I got a lot of comments from people who have "not seen one of those for years"

The UK club has it's National Show in September based near London. To take the car there is the goal !
Regards

This vintage FIAT engine should not have valve seat problems due to using unleaded petro. The cylinder head is a aluminum casting with steel valve seats. This was a very common problem with British Leyland engines using cast iron cylinder heads with the valve seats cut into the cast iron, the cost reduction production method to increase profitability and reduce the need for new production methods and retraining of production personal. It would be very rare for these FIAT cylinder heads to drop a valve seat. Do a cylinder compression test by leak down or simple cylinder compression test (make sure the throttle plate is open when the test is done). Verify engine compression before making any assumptions about cylinder head or other problems. Know these Lampredi designed FIAT engine are really, really tough and reliable in many ways.

Sounding like a tractor could be due to an exhaust leak or similar (gasket died). Check this.

Being an exxe in the UK of this vintage should have a carb, not EFI. This should make sorting out the engine easier.

Post more info and details as work proceeds.

Bernice

This vintage FIAT engine should not have valve seat problems due to using unleaded petro. The cylinder head is a aluminum casting with steel valve seats. This was a very common problem with British Leyland engines using cast iron cylinder heads with the valve seats cut into the cast iron, the cost reduction production method to increase profitability and reduce the need for new production methods and retraining of production personal. It would be very rare for these FIAT cylinder heads to drop a valve seat. Do a cylinder compression test by leak down or simple cylinder compression test (make sure the throttle plate is open when the test is done). Verify engine compression before making any assumptions about cylinder head or other problems. Know these Lampredi designed FIAT engine are really, really tough and reliable in many ways.

Sounding like a tractor could be due to an exhaust leak or similar (gasket died). Check this.

Being an exxe in the UK of this vintage should have a carb, not EFI. This should make sorting out the engine easier.

Post more info and details as work proceeds.

Bernice

Thanks for that. Will let you know how it goes.
Regards

Welcome to our Madness!! I hope you enjoy the car again. Myself and two other local fiat people are looking into helping a 4th local person get their x1/9 running again.

Back