Dave Bassett

True Classic
Good afternoon. Thank you for letting me join in the fun. I am in the process of getting a 1972 850 Spider, hopefully it will be in my garage in three weeks. It is an original, unrestored car that recently was used on the set of a movie. It's current owner has had it for twenty years and is still sometimes used as a daily driver. My plans are to do repairs as needed, freshen up the body and interior, and get the vinyl off of the hard top and then take it from there.

An immediate question is, like every one I have ever seen, it does not have the lower sheet metal in the engine bay (I don't know what to call them) and wonder how important they are. Can they be sourced? What is their correct name? Also, it has slight surface rust in the rear floorboards and will be looking for a correct fix.
Thank you again.

Hi Dave and Welcome. There are quite a few 850 owners here.
1. You need the lower engine compartment pans. Without them, you will not get proper air flow through the radiator. It took me about 6 months and help from Flaviaman to find a pair.
2. Slight surface rust, I'm sure everyone here has 2 or 3 opinions. I intend to clean up and coat with Rust Bullet. If I discover perforations, I'll weld in a patch.
3. Do you have the carb drip tray? You don't want your carb dribbling on your starter motor.
4. Do you have the 30DIC Oem carb? There are articles about safety wiring in fuel inlet/outlet fittings so they don't suddenly pop off.

Post pictures please, some of the members like that a lot. :)

Good luck, David

Thanks guys, I don't have the car yet. I have agreed to buy it and the current owner seems to think I am the person to give it a new home. I am shooting for picking it up in early November. It will be shipped. It is reliably operational and seemingly has no rust through. The trunk, jacking points, door bottoms. It has a high torque starter, luggage rack, and factory hard top. On the other hand, it suffered a mediocre repaint two owners ago along with unsatisfactory seat covering. The transmission has a weak synchro in second. So it's a mix but less of a challenge than many unrestored cars. I will look into your safety suggestions right away although my guess is that these things have been done.

I am in the process of getting a 1972 850 Spider... My plans are to do repairs as needed, freshen up the body and interior, and get the vinyl off of the hard top and then take it from there.

It has a high torque starter, luggage rack, and factory hard top.

The 850 Spider factory hardtop was painted steel, without vinyl covering. Do you have a photo of your hardtop?

Welcome. I may have extra cooling tins. Most of my stuff is in storage so it may take some time but I’ll look when I can.

Attachments

• 245651756_875542316434945_2617509591057388345_n (1).jpg
    245651756_875542316434945_2617509591057388345_n (1).jpg
    515.3 KB · Views: 126
I'll be in the market for cooling tins. I wonder if a shop that cuts and stamps metal could fabricate then in "bulk?" It seems like few 850s have them.

Back