New Owner of 75 Beta Montecarlo

ward00

True Classic
Hi all, I have just purchased and will be waiting delivery in California of a 75 Beta Montecarlo that I purchased on BAT. https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1975-lancia-beta-2/

Up to now I have been a 124 Spider and Coupe type of guy.

As a starter question, what are the differences between the 2L block and head in the 75 Monte Carlo from that in the 124 2L Fiats?

2nd question, the car comes with a set of original Lancia bowtie wheels with mounted tires. At this point I'm not sure that they add value to the car and/or the cost of shipping them from the east coat will cover their value. Based on the condition of the car, I suspect the wheels are in really good condition. Presently they are are in Rhode Island. Is there anyone on the east coast NY area or on the west coast that has interest. If so, PM your best price.

Attachments

• 1975_lancia_beta_163292787522359fExterior-Front-left.jpeg
    1975_lancia_beta_163292787522359fExterior-Front-left.jpeg
    104.8 KB · Views: 142
  • 1629249442ccad3d273DF0C91-66D3-409B-803F-A68A420FAD0A_1_105_c.jpeg
    1629249442ccad3d273DF0C91-66D3-409B-803F-A68A420FAD0A_1_105_c.jpeg
    8.5 KB · Views: 110
  • 1629249430cad3d230CA9FB2-0F53-41F0-819A-6614559EB8F3_1_105_c.jpeg
    1629249430cad3d230CA9FB2-0F53-41F0-819A-6614559EB8F3_1_105_c.jpeg
    8.6 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
Good buy. Hit up Steve Jennes long time Montecarlo in California.

The Lancia block is tilted 20 degrees differently so oil pan and oil flow. An engine mount location cast into block is slightly different. Waterpump and pullies are different but interchangable if you do them all.

The Lancia block is tilted 20 degrees differently so oil pan and oil flow. An engine mount location cast into block is slightly different. Waterpump and pullies are different but interchangable if you do them all.
Not that the car presently needs any upgrades, but it sounds like my racing block from my Coupe will not be interchangeable. I presume a Guy Croft head from a 124 would be usable in a Lancia?

Hi all, I have just purchased and will be waiting delivery in California of a 75 Beta Montecarlo that I purchased on BAT. https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1975-lancia-beta-2/

Up to now I have been a 124 Spider and Coupe type of guy.

As a starter question, what are the differences between the 2L block and head in the 75 Monte Carlo from that in the 124 2L Fiats?

2nd question, the car comes with a set of original Lancia mags with mounted tires. At this point I'm not sure that they add value to the car and/or the cost of shipping them from the east coat will cover their value. Based on the condition of the car, I suspect the wheels are in really good condition. Presently they are are in Rhode Island. Is there anyone on the east coast NY area or on the west coast that has interest. If so, PM your best price.
Enviably nice car. Hope to see you driving it around the Bay Area.

Congrats on the buy and glad you made it over here! I was watching the auction and it looks like you got a great car for a fair price.

Those factory wheels aren't too desirable among most of us owners, but I'd be tempted to keep them "just in case." Or not; you can usually find a set available for a couple hundred dollars.

I think the Lancia head has differing oil passages to the Fiat head (again, due to the angle of incline), but I'll let someone more knowledgeable speak to that. Maybe it's just the cam boxes that are different? Someone here will chime in, I'm sure. I had a 2L 124 Spider in the past, also.

Lots of great reading here while you're waiting for your car to be delivered. Have a look through the past posts for all kinds of esoteric information about these rare Lancias. You'll come to appreciate your "new" car even more.

Welcome to the Montecarlo owners in California. I am in Oxnard, I was watching the auction of your car on B.A.T.
Nice color. And some good upgrades, pluse nice condition.

Last edited:
Welcome to the Montecarlo owners in California. I am in Oxnard, I was watching the auction of your car on B.A.T.
Nice color. And some good upgrades, pluse nice condition.
Hi Ron, the current plan is to have the car shipped to the Los Angeles area and to drive it to Santa Cruz, If that pans out I'll ping you to see if you want to meet in Oxnard along the way.

It's my understanding that the oiling in the cylinder head is the same between the 124 and the Scorpion, but rather the difference is in the cam boxes. Each is said to have different oil hole locations. You can use the 124 block. I'm told that the dipstick location has to change, and of course the oil pan and oil pump for those meant for the Scorpion. The water pump impeller meant for the Scorpion is wider than that of the 124, and I believe the spigot for the radiator hose that sticks out of the Scorpion is different.

If you're really keen on the Bowtie wheels, I'll trade you what you've got for a set of good ones ; )

I live in Rhode Island and would have an interest in your stock wheels and tires. Send me a PM as to the best way to contact.

Hi Ron, the current plan is to have the car shipped to the Los Angeles area and to drive it to Santa Cruz, If that pans out I'll ping you to see if you want to meet in Oxnard along the way.
That would be great, I am out of town starting this Wednesday until next Tuesday. I hope that works with your schedule.

Ron, won't be until sometime in November at the earliest that I would drive it back. I need to make room here is Santa Cruz for it.

Steve is now in Glendale AZ, a few blocks from me with both his Monte and his Scorp.

Back