New starter now gauges and radio don't work update

Ok, I've got this narrowed down. So I installed a new starter in a 79 1500 and for some reason my gauges, radio, turn signals and who knows what else stopped working. I have it narrowed down. The guages, radio and signals do work, WHILE I'M ENGAGING THE STARTER! As soon as the car fires up and I put the key back to the on position the car runs but everything stops working again. Could it be that I put a connection on the starter in the wrong lead? I have a thick green wire from the battery and a black one from the alternator on the terminal closest to the firewall. The wire on the spade connector and the other one that just pops on. Are these connected to the correct terminals? Also, I noted a spark when I reconnetected the negative terminal to the battery. Tia

Going back to your original post, you are definitely correct on the large green wire and the alternator wire going to the terminal post on the starter, I am however confused by the last part of your statement.
The wire with the spade connector is from the ignition switch start position to engage the starter, but what is the "other" wire you mention the one that "just pops on". There should only be one wire on the spade terminal.

What is that wire popped on to?

Going back to your original post, you are definitely correct on the large green wire and the alternator wire going to the terminal post on the starter, I am however confused by the last part of your statement.
The wire with the spade connector is from the ignition switch start position to engage the starter, but what is the "other" wire you mention the one that "just pops on". There should only be one wire on the spade terminal.

What is that wire popped on to?
There's one, with a little rubber elbow, looks like a tiny spark plug wire that just pushes onto a small terminal on the starter

but what is the "other" wire you mention the one that "just pops on". There should only be one wire on the spade terminal.
The US-spec carbed 1500 is weird in several ways, and if you check out the wiring diagram in post #14 above you’ll see that wire is one of these weirdnesses. It makes some emission control stuff do something when the motor is cranking.... and come to think of it, it would be worth disconnecting that wire and trying again.

The US-spec carbed 1500 is weird in several ways, and if you check out the wiring diagram in post #14 above you’ll see that wire is one of these weirdnesses. It makes some emission control stuff do something when the motor is cranking.... and come to think of it, it would be worth disconnecting that wire and trying again.
Mine is emission equipment delete, removed it all ages ago so that wire goes to nowhere then and wouldn't have an effect but I'll try taking it off and see if it makes a difference. Was never an issue before and was always connected.

Yeah, that wires not for emissions, don't know wtf that diagrams is referring to. I removed it and the only thing that happened is that the gauges and everything else won't work even in the start postion but the cat still starts. Reconnected and everything works fine, while the starter is cranking that is. The wire is white or yellow with a red stripe or vice versa.

Yeah, that wires not for emissions, don't know wtf that diagrams is referring to. I removed it and the only thing that happened is that the gauges and everything else won't work even in the start postion but the cat still starts. Reconnected and everything works fine, while the starter is cranking that is. The wire is white or yellow with a red stripe or vice versa.
Here's a couple of pics of the wire in question. It's yellow with a red stripe. I am beginning to think that the place that rebuilt the starter did something wrong. When I crank the motor with this wire connected to the solenoid everything works, then nothing works with the key in the on position. When I remove this wire from the solenoid, the car will still start and run but nothing else works even in the start postion which leads me to believe that this wire is supposed to provide constant power in the start and on key postions and whatever they did when they rebuilt the solenoid part of the starter was wrong because its
Sorry that wire is yellow with a red stripe. I am starting to think that the place that rebuilt the started did something wrong in the solenoid because this wire obviously provides power to all the things not working with the key in the on postion. The only things affected when I start the car with this wire removed are the things not working with the key in the on postion and don't work now while the starter is cranking as they were with the wire connected. They must have eliminated a connection in the starter. Thoughts anyone?

OK, thanks for the lesson, I was completely unaware of an additional wire for emissions. Looking at the diagram that wire powers the gulp valve during starting.
The schematic shows it as a momentary while cranking, so I would presume the starter is correct.

My concern is why is that tied to the gauges. They should not be getting power from the emissions circuits.
Truly an oddity, from what you have described you have the starter wired correctly. Did you do anything at the alternator?
I know on the 124 there is a wire from the alternator to the ignition switch, but an not aware of a similar wire for the X. Course I am not familiar at all with the carbed 1500 cars.

OK, thanks for the lesson, I was completely unaware of an additional wire for emissions. Looking at the diagram that wire powers the gulp valve during starting.
The schematic shows it as a momentary while cranking, so I would presume the starter is correct.

My concern is why is that tied to the gauges. They should not be getting power from the emissions circuits.
Truly an oddity, from what you have described you have the starter wired correctly. Did you do anything at the alternator?
I know on the 124 there is a wire from the alternator to the ignition switch, but an not aware of a similar wire for the X. Course I am not familiar at all with the carbed 1500 cars.
Bone stock wiring harness. That schematic does not show the same wire, the wire I have is yellow with a red stripe, not the same colors as the one in the schematic. Ridiculous.

The wiring diagram for the instruments

Attachments

• 79Wiring,05.pdf
    424.9 KB · Views: 74
So I jumped the yellow wire with the red stripe that pushes on the starter to the positive terminal on the battery and voila, every accessorie works without the key and this dumb f*** who rebuilt the starter is trying to tell me that he rebuilt the starter properly. The solenoid must be the problem because the guages and accessories only work while the starter is cranking. Wtf

Glad you figured it out, sorry to hear it's the reman starter, which puts you back to square one, I presume.
Just got off the phone with the tech who rebuilt it and the f***ing idiot is convinced that it's not the solenoid. What a f***ing idiot. I wasted an entire week tracing every godamm wire and that moron thinks it's a blown fuse or blown guages. How the f*** does he think it's a blown fuse or I need new gauges when everything works only while the car is cranking? There obviously is a connection inside the solenoid that provides constant power to the accessories and gauges only while the key is in the run position as opposed to the start/cranking postion and he wired it to the wrong spot in the solenoid. What a f***ing idiot.

Here is aare pics of the yellow wire with red stripe in question. I dunno, should the gauges and accessories work while the starter is in the start/crank postion as well as the on postion or the on postion only? I only have gauges and accessories while I am cranking the starter, remove this wire and no gauges. If I jump this wire to the terminal on the starter that the battery and alternator are connected to gauges and accessories all work even without the ignition key inserted.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190724-163819.png
    Screenshot_20190724-163819.png
    938 KB · Views: 118
so I am going to re-post what I think you are saying.

If you pull the trigger wire off the starter and put 12v to it. then the dash comes to life.

That Makes Me think the wire at the key switch has been moved from the terminal that is on when the key is in the run position to the wire that goes to the starter trigger wire.

Last edited:
so I am going to re-post what I think you are saying.

If you pull the trigger wire off the starter and put 12v to it. then the dash comes to life.

That Makes Me think the wire at the key switch has been moved from the terminal that is on when the key is in the run position to the wire that goes to the starter trigger wire.
Can't be. I haven't made any changes to the wires at the key switch. This wire in the pick is not the trigger wire, the trigger wire is on a spade connector and its green and if I jumped that one all it would do is cause the starter to engage. It's this yellow wire with the red stripe in the pic that makes the gauges and accessories coem to life and I traced it into the wiring harness into the cabin at this point, so this wire has nothing to do with emissions either as someone mentioned earlier. I am shocked that no one has recognized this wire yet. Starting to think I must have a one off x1/9 or a prototype of some sort, figured this wire is common in most carburetated 1500s.

That is a white wire with a red stripe by the way.
Look again, it's yellow. That or I'm color blind or that it's so old it changed color from white to bright yellow but it's bright yellow with a red stripe, unless of course the schematic just refers to it as white.

Look again, it's yellow. That or I'm color blind or that it's so old it changed color from white to bright yellow but it's bright yellow with a red stripe, unless of course the schematic just refers to it as white.

I agree with Karl - looks to me like a faded white-with-red-stripe wire. Also, that rubber boot is definitely not a stock Fiat item - there are no wires in a factory wiring harness with something like that boot which "just pushes onto a small terminal on the starter". Wires are either bolted onto a stud, or they connect onto a spade terminal. So who knows what you have there...

Btw, have you verified that you have the main battery wire (cable) connected to the correct solenoid stud? (ie: not the grounding stud)

Which starter solenoid terminal are you connecting this mystery "yellow/red stripe" onto for it to power your gauges/etc.?

What color wire do you have connected to the spade terminal on the starter solenoid?

I think you will find that the white color has shifted over time to a yellow tinge. Giallo is truly yellow, not a pale yellow. I have been wrong before and the picture may be deceiving me so my apologies if I am mistaken.

I would look at figuring out the reality of the car versus the diagram.

To your point, if you changed nothing but the starter and it is the element which changed everything it is unlikely that the rest of the wiring morphed on its own. That said, in looking at the system, you may have a ground problem which would be the ground after the gulp valve has become disconnected and the system is back feeding the ground through the orange wire to fuse 1 and powering the instruments in the process of the electrons finding a ground. I don’t have a gulp valve on my cars so I don’t know where the ground is but could you have dislodged it in the course of installing or removing the starter?

Can you check if the ground tree for the gulp valve is tight, grounded and wire attached to the ground tree? Additionally, is the blue with a black stripe wire from the ignition switch powering fuse 1 directly and fuse 2 by the joined wire on the lighting relay? These are some of the paths the power from that white with red stripe wire may be following to ground.

If there is no ground and there is power on both legs of a circuit, the items on that circuit will not do anything as there ends up bing no place for the electrons to go.

Last edited:
Back