New to me Abarth 500

apaulos

Low Mileage
This weekend picked up a grigio 2013 Abarth 500. Wow, and more wow. It even still has loads of new car smell. Anywho, it has me really considering the turbo-ed engine for a X swap. The Abarth has enough poor to be super fun but not so much power that you don't have to shift, time everything well for max performance. The motor has a certain je ne sais quoi . It's angry, and upset but more than willing to sing for you if you're willing to devote yourself to a serious long term commitment. It is the same as the X, the fun stems from the oneness with the machine. Something that would be lost with too much power. I hope to have my 500 for long while I work on swamping into my X a salvaged Abarth engine/trans.

:)

Thats nearly exactly what everyone I know says about them. Congrats on the new purchase.

Keep us in the loop on the conversion of the X as well.:thumbsup:

This weekend picked up a grigio 2013 Abarth 500. Wow, and more wow. It even still has loads of new car smell. Anywho, it has me really considering the turbo-ed engine for a X swap. The Abarth has enough poor to be super fun but not so much power that you don't have to shift, time everything well for max performance. The motor has a certain je ne sais quoi . It's angry, and upset but more than willing to sing for you if you're willing to devote yourself to a serious long term commitment. It is the same as the X, the fun stems from the oneness with the machine. Something that would be lost with too much power. I hope to have my 500 for long while I work on swamping into my X a salvaged Abarth engine/trans.

All well said...Enjoy and welcome to the Abarth club :)

Yep, welcome to the fray. Since I blocked Cheryl's car in the driveway this AM with my blue X, I gave her the keys to my Abarth and told her to drive it to work.

No sooner than she got to work and she called me and asked "How much more power does your 500 have from mine?" Hers is a 500 sport turbo. I said 25hp. She said it feels MUCH more powerful and sounds much better.

Ummm Yep ;)

Yep, welcome to the fray. Since I blocked Cheryl's car in the driveway this AM with my blue X, I gave her the keys to my Abarth and told her to drive it to work.

No sooner than she got to work and she called me and asked "How much more power does your 500 have from mine?" Hers is a 500 sport turbo. I said 25hp. She said it feels MUCH more powerful and sounds much better.

Ummm Yep ;)

Hah! Seems my daughter's mom finds a reason for me to bring her L into the dealer for a "service" or issue often. Of course this means she drives the Abarth while I get the loaner :( Interesting how my Abarth has over 30k miles and her L 7k...:hmm:

she drives the Abarth while I get the loaner

Ha!

I'm having a big issue here as well. My kid got my old truck but he's finding any excuse to steal the keys to my 500.

I bought my wife a loaded SLK300 the day before I got my 500 and she keeps asking for me to let her drive mine so she can learn standard shift. I'm like for real? Go practice on my beater pickup truck it's a five speed as well. :)

Make sure you register for the abarth track experience (abarthexperience.com) coming up at Daytona Speedway on 5/13-5/15. Enter your vin number and see if the car still has it's free admission. If not it still would be a great way to spend $500 :)

I just did mine this past weekend at Auto Club Speedway in Fontana and it was a blast! I placed second in the Autocross event and won an Abarth Polo Shirt :excited:

ALSO... if you are planning to go in the future... the future is almost over. FCA cut the program to 3 venues in 2016 and for next year it's only one, at Phoenix Int'l Speedway at the Bob Bondurant driving school track.

01s5boQ.jpg

Apaulos - Make sure you register for the abarth track experience (abarthexperience.com) coming up at Daytona Speedway on 5/13-5/15. Enter your vin number and see if the car still has it's free admission. If not it still would be a great way to spend $500 :)

I just did mine this past weekend at Auto Club Speedway in Fontana and it was a blast! I placed second in the Autocross event and won an Abarth Polo Shirt :excited:

ALSO... if you are planning to go in the future... the future is almost over. FCA cut the program to 3 venues in 2016 and for next year it's only one, at Phoenix Int'l Speedway at the Bob Bondurant driving school track.

01s5boQ.jpg

Back