new user from italy 128 coupe sl 1972

ghostdancing

True Classic
hello everybody, i'm from italy and just purchased a red 128 coupe sl 1972

the car was never restored, pratically 1 owner before me; it's a 1.1 liter, 270K kilometers (1.3 are quite rare here in italy).

i would like to mount an electronic ignition.. any previous experience on this?

Welcome to Xweb!

I am not sure what Fiat electronic modules will fit, but someone here will probably know.

I recently converted my 1972 124 sedan to an electronic setup from a company called Pertronix. They have a page where you enter your distributor's model # to determine the proper module. (My 124 has a Marelli S147 distributor) The Pertronix module replaces the condenser and points inside your existing distributor. My car starts easier and runs smoother since the switch.

Last edited:
The easiest ignition to mount is from a Yugo. Swap out the distributor and electronic control module and you are set to go. Great spark.

The easiest ignition to mount is from a Yugo. Swap out the distributor and electronic control module and you are set to go. Great spark.
Thanks Eric,

I knew one of you guys would know for sure. I was tempted to toss out the Yugo idea, but I wasn't certain I was remembering correctly.

hello everybody, i'm from italy and just purchased a red 128 coupe sl 1972

the car was never restored, pratically 1 owner before me; it's a 1.1 liter, 270K kilometers (1.3 are quite rare here in italy).

i would like to mount an electronic ignition.. any previous experience on this?
We want pictures...

this is a nice welcome guys! thanx for your inputs; to nm850: sure, will post some picture ASAP! i'm proud of my old lady a want to show you her of course.

ignition: the yugo in italy it's a real rarity: but of course there are El ignit. from other cars such as fiat UNO, lancia delta (marelli digiplex)

i also saw in the web that in argentina there are a few companies that make elec. ignit. for the early lampredi motor: they still are plenty of 128s there (there are several fiat plants in latin america)

i'm particulary intersted in those simple boxes that use the points original setup as contact braker to run a transistor spark system: these boxes are cheap and it's easy to go back to point\condenser original ignition flippping a swithc (useful if electronic fail does occur, the old good points bring me home..)

opinions? experience?

I second the Pertronix. It’s all my old Italian cars. In my race car it’s paired with an MSD A6 control box and MSD coil. Nice thing there is the rev limit is adjustable. In the street cars just the pertronix trigger with a new coil is great.
I’ve only used the Marelli Electronic in the 124s. It works great too, so one out of an UNO should be good.

20171111_165019.jpg
20171111_165111.jpg
20171111_165131.jpg
just some casual images that the girl friends took with his smartfone
the license plate it's the original 1972 one, the first 2 letters TO means torino, as the first owner was resident there (he was a fiat employee).. needless to say that for a fiat a "TO.." license plate is the best you can have..

Attachments

• 20171111_165131.jpg
    20171111_165131.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 101
  • 20171111_165019.jpg
    20171111_165019.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 108
Back