New X1/9 owner

My car had the same puddle on the drivers floor when I recieved it, I dropped the pedal box and rebuilt it including replacing the both Master brake and clutch cylinder. They are cheap so it is worth doing. Here is a write up on the project, might save you some pain and time. There are a lot of other great write up that will help. Looks like you have your work cut out for you.

You mentioned that the floor pans are rusty, and need to be replaced. If you do that job in concert with the Master Cylinders it gives you much better access.
The first time I replaced the masters, I did it with the floor cut out. The second time, I really wished I had made an access panel!

Brian
DSCN0018.JPG

Last edited:
You mentioned that the floor pans are rusty, and need to be replaced. If you do that job in concert with the Master Cylinders it gives you much better access.
The first time I replaced the masters, I did it with the floor cut out. The second time, I really wished I had made an access panel!

Brian
View attachment 53846
I've just replaced the clutch and brake master on my '79 X. I think having the access panel is an easier way to do it although I am now very well versed in X1/9 Yoga - upside down horse is difficult but great exercise for your neck muscles. Having the top off makes it a bit easier to get your feet swung up to stick out of the car.

Brian
View attachment 53846
"The second time" I don't even want to think about a 2nd time. One was enough.

My car had the same puddle on the drivers floor when I recieved it, I dropped the pedal box and rebuilt it including replacing the both Master brake and clutch cylinder. They are cheap so it is worth doing. Here is a write up on the project, might save you some pain and time. There are a lot of other great write up that will help. Looks like you have your work cut out for you.

That thread has actually been open in my browser for the past few days. I have read through it at least twice.

Thanks for all great advice guys! This project is unfortunately third on my current list of priorities at the moment so it may be slow going for a while. I currently have a winter vehicle that skipped timing and need to get that running soon before snow starts. After that is an engine rebuild on the MR2 since that is my wifes toy vehicle and a happy wife = more freedom on my cars. The fiat project will come after that. My current game plan is to drop the engine and replace at least the timing belt and water pump along with all the hoses and fuel filter/fuel pump/injector seals. I will also obviously be rebuilding the pedal box and replacing all the hoses for the reservoirs and the reservoirs at the same time. I also want to drop the fuel tank and see how the inside looks if I need to reseal it. I'm in the process of trying to track down a replacement passenger door and I believe that someone local to me may actually have one. Fingers crossed!

That thread has actually been open in my browser for the past few days. I have read through it at least twice.

Thanks for all great advice guys! This project is unfortunately third on my current list of priorities at the moment so it may be slow going for a while. I currently have a winter vehicle that skipped timing and need to get that running soon before snow starts. After that is an engine rebuild on the MR2 since that is my wifes toy vehicle and a happy wife = more freedom on my cars. The fiat project will come after that. My current game plan is to drop the engine and replace at least the timing belt and water pump along with all the hoses and fuel filter/fuel pump/injector seals. I will also obviously be rebuilding the pedal box and replacing all the hoses for the reservoirs and the reservoirs at the same time. I also want to drop the fuel tank and see how the inside looks if I need to reseal it. I'm in the process of trying to track down a replacement passenger door and I believe that someone local to me may actually have one. Fingers crossed!
I hear you, my time with the X has been limited due to family and wife agendas as well but, I went in the opposite order you did. I have to fix the FI so I figured better get brakes before I get the engine running because has soon as I hear that engine I'll want to take it for a spin. A non-heated garage in Chicago mean the engine will have to wait till next year. I too am enjoying the journey.

I hear you, my time with the X has been limited due to family and wife agendas as well but, I went in the opposite order you did. I have to fix the FI so I figured better get brakes before I get the engine running because has soon as I hear that engine I'll want to take it for a spin. A non-heated garage in Chicago mean the engine will have to wait till next year. I too am enjoying the journey.
I'm figuring that I will be able to have the essentials functioning before spring comes next year. I'm fortunate that my garage is in built into the side of a hill and is insulated by the ground on 2 sides and my basement on the other. It stays comfortably warm in my garage so I can work in there all winter.

I'm figuring that I will be able to have the essentials functioning before spring comes next year. I'm fortunate that my garage is in built into the side of a hill and is insulated by the ground on 2 sides and my basement on the other. It stays comfortably warm in my garage so I can work in there all winter.
I envy you or at least your garage. I can work into maybe early December. Have to finish carpeting 90% done, then reassemble the interior after sanding and painting bottom of the seats. Finally want to replace all coolant hoses and fill it for winter. Plan to rebuild a spare insterment cluster over the winter, need to 3D print out some new Tach and speedo needles and run through the lighting. Looking at LED conversion.

Not much to update so here is a picture of my cat keeping mice away from the x1/9. I finally finished one project that was taking up garage space today. My friend has a Pontiac fiero that started as an exhaust manifold replacement and somehow turned into an engine out rebuild in my garage. It finally started today after 9 months and got pulled out of the garage. I'm also making major progress on parting out my parts car aw11 that is taking up the other garage spot. I will hopefully have the x1/9 in it's winter home in the next week or two.
IMG_20211030_132553329_HDR.jpg

Not much to update so here is a picture of my cat keeping mice away from the x1/9. I finally finished one project that was taking up garage space today. My friend has a Pontiac fiero that started as an exhaust manifold replacement and somehow turned into an engine out rebuild in my garage. It finally started today after 9 months and got pulled out of the garage. I'm also making major progress on parting out my parts car aw11 that is taking up the other garage spot. I will hopefully have the x1/9 in it's winter home in the next week or two.
View attachment 54372
Just saw your last post here, My first new car was a 88 Fiero GT so I can appreciate your work here. As your parting out you parts car let me know if you have a windshield you would be willing to sell off.

Just saw your last post here, My first new car was a 88 Fiero GT so I can appreciate your work here. As your parting out you parts car let me know if you have a windshield you would be willing to sell off.
The windshield was sadly damaged while trying to remove it. Otherwise it was going to go on my other mr2 that currently has a cracked windshield.

Took much longer than I wanted, but the X I'd finally in the garage! Now it has a nice warm spot to sleep until I get around to working on it. I still need to finish reorganizing so I can tuck the X away in the corner and leave room for the MR2 and still have space to work on another car.
IMG_20211203_201439168.jpg

The fiat is tucked away in it's winter home. I didn't realize how much smaller than the mr2 it is until now. The MR2 took up way more space when I had it in the same corner previously! I could easily get 4 of these cars in my garage, maybe even 5 if I tried hard enough.
IMG_20211204_150746877.jpg

This car is sadly for sale. I still haven't had time to work on it since I purchased it and it doesn't look like I will anytime soon. I am trying to simplify my life a little bit in the new year and this project unfortunately is at the bottom of my list. Hopefully one day I will be able to purchase another!

I'll give you $2300 so you make a profit! 😁
I honestly had it relisted for my purchase price originally. I had some people message me right away and recommend that I increase the price. I bumped it up to $3500. The spare set of cromodora cd-91s are included!

Back