NEXEN Tires, appears to have a GREAT Warranty.

So five years later. Tires are still an issue, but you can still get them. Just not a lot of selection. I just bought a set of Federals in 185/60-13. $220 to buy plus $60 to the local tire store to mount. And the date codes are from late 2019.

Someone posted about 175/65-13. Those could work. Most of the available 13s you find at places like tire rack are 175/70-13, which have too tall of a sidewall and will rub when cornering.

I think original stock was 165/60-13, though I have also seen 145/80-13. According to the owner's manual I got with the 87 Bertone, OEM spec was 185/60-13 for road tires and 145/80-13 for the spare.

I thought about exploring importing tires from Brazil, since they still use a lot of FIATs and other small cars that would run 13s. Two problems: 1) I don't know if they sell "premium" tires or tires designed for handling, as opposed to basic cheap tires; and 2) I don't know whether the tires would meet DOT requirements to make them legal for street usage.

The original cars had 145/80-13 although mine were actually 145/82-13 (Michelin XAS). I think they went to 165/70-13 in 1979 with the 1500s but I suppose it could have been earlier. 165/60-13 would be a bit short for the X. Not sure when the 185/60-13s were put on, but that size was not commonly available until the early 80s.

Data is for US market cars only. The EU had a number of different options for wheels. Tire sizes were similar to what we received.

145/80 13 - 74-78 (Steel wheels in the US only, alloys a dealer option so you see ‘mags’, woven basket and more desirable English and Italian wheels on cars besides the steel wheels with and without bright trim rings.) Tires started as the highly desirable Michelin XAS and transitioned to P3s and occasionally Michelin XzX,

165/70’s - 79 to 86 (wheels started as steel, then CD91s, then Iron Crosses for the limited edition cars and then Steel or Trons for 84, 85, 86)

185/60 13 - 87-88 (Speedline multihole Phone Dial alloys) Changeover was for the ‘87 model year

The changeover came when they stopped installing the “Trons” and went to the multi hole Speedline Phone Dials. It also coincided with the wide plastic trims down the sides.

I looked at a a lot of X’s new during the end period. All the 185/60 13 cars had Pirelli P6s. The 165/70s were Pirelli P3/70 on the late cars but a couple of different manufacturers prior to that but most were P3/70.

TiresEasy generally has a variety of tires in the sizes that will fit an X some from brand or semi brand names, including the 185/55 14 if you want to go plus one on BiTurbo or Lancia rims.

I thought about exploring importing tires from Brazil
One possible issue with buying from Brazil might be shipping. Not only the cost, but for some reason it is very difficult to get things shipped from there. Or perhaps I should say, many Brazilian sellers are very reluctant to ship to the US. However there are a ton of Brazilian parts sold in the US so it certainly is possible. Therefore it might just be with individual (personal) sales vs large wholesale shipments?

Last edited:
The changeover came when they stopped installing the “Trons” and went to the multi hole Speedline Phone Dials. It also coincided with the wide plastic trims down the sides.

Not sure this is a hard and fast rule. My 86 came with Trons, the wide plastic trim, and I think 185/60's, although they could have been the 165/70's. Lotta years ago, memory is fuzzy.

I just put 4 new Toyos on the stock Fiat and went for 13.60.175 as they make the steering more pleasant and closer to the feel of the original car.
Grip is a little less important in my stock 1300cc 4 speed than my 180hp Hybrid.

Not sure this is a hard and fast rule. My 86 came with Trons, the wide plastic trim, and I think 185/60's, although they could have been the 165/70's. Lotta years ago, memory is fuzzy.

Certainly not impossible :) Wheels get moved around at dealerships, I have had it done on two of my car purchases in the distant past.

The original cars had 145/80-13 although mine were actually 145/82-13 (Michelin XAS). I think they went to 165/70-13 in 1979 with the 1500s but I suppose it could have been earlier. 165/60-13 would be a bit short for the X. Not sure when the 185/60-13s were put on, but that size was not commonly available until the early 80s.
Good catch. I meant 165/70-13. 165/60 would be short and I am not sure anyone makes a tire that size.

One possible issue with buying from Brazil might be shipping. Not only the cost, but for some reason it is very difficult to get things shipped from there. Or perhaps I should say, many Brazilian sellers are very reluctant to ship to the US. However there are a ton of Brazilian parts sold in the US so it certainly is possible. Therefore it might just be with individual (personal) sales vs large wholesale shipments?

I was actually considering a wholesale order. Like a pallet or partial container full. To buy and then resell to X owners and other enthusiasts with cars that used 13 in rims as OEM.

I was actually considering a wholesale order.
;)

A long time ago when I was into the air-cooled VW scene there were Brazilian tires available in small sizes of 15" diameter through the specialty VW suppliers. They were the desired sizes for the narrow stock VW rims and had a general profile and design that was very similar to the original VW tires. Inexpensive as well. Brazil was also a big source of affordable "OEM" replacement air-cooled VW parts in general. No idea if that is still the case, I haven't kept up with that scene.

On the subject of importing tires from other countries. I've noticed over the last several years at the SEMA Show there are more and more tire brands being shown from all over the world. They are brands we have never heard of, mostly lower price/quality stuff, and many of the companies are displaying non-automotive applications as well (like tires for large equipment, big rig trucks, agricultural, etc). A lot of them are coming from very odd countries. I guess those manufacturers are hoping to break into the American market. And apparently some have, I've also noticed a few new brand names advertised for sale through online sources. Who knows, this may eventually introduce a whole new avenue for odd sizes here (like the 13" ones you are speaking of).

Back