Nissan Frontier 70amp alternator fits the X 1/9

TommyClocks

Daily Driver
I installed a 2000 Nissan Frontier alternator in my X 1/9 and I was able to mount it easily using the stock pivot mount. The alternator pulley was in alignment with the water pump pulley after I installed a 7mm spacer and a longer pivot bolt. The best part was that I didn't have to alter any of the original Fiat brackets or mount points, so I can go back easily if there were a problem. I used a standard Chevy alternator adjustment bracket after I cut it a drilled a new mounting hole. I test drove it after I installed the alternator and it works great. I had to take the car apart again because I noticed that the water pump was leaking, so I haven't given it a long term test yet. If anyone wants info, I can post links to all the parts that I used, along with photos. I included one photo of the installation and the bracket that I used. This is my first post to the Workshop forum, so if I am missing anything let me know.

Tommy

Attachments

• IMG_3103.JPG
    IMG_3103.JPG
    357.9 KB · Views: 1,013
  • IMG_3112.JPG
    IMG_3112.JPG
    235.6 KB · Views: 306
As you know, we love to find ways to improve these cars.

Things that would help us replicate this would be great, what year, engine size or other information to assist in ordering the part.

Additionally, some more details about your car so we better understand which engine you have and whether it has AC or not, from the pic in your avatar it appears to be a ‘79, which has an air pump and thus the additional belt on the water pump I see in your install pic.

Any secondary modifications you had to make, for example did you have to make any changes to the cast iron mount normally cut down for other swaps, that you show in picture two.

Nice job, please keep us updated. If you could take pics of the reinstall when you do the waterpump it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Looks like a great fit...I remember looking at a few nippon alternators when finding a substitution. many looked real close, but at the time, the cost was prohibitive, especially without the core....Hey, how did you wire it up? I see a funky plug there. Tell us more...Did you bolt to the water pump bolts? I was afraid of breaking them, as one of our other members had that issue over time. I welded up a bracket for stock location, but my s****y welds kept breaking, till I had my friend (an experienced welder) glue it together for me. Seems that it takes a lot of abuse holding that spinning thing at high rpm's

Thanks for the replies. I started with a stock 1500 1979 Non-A/C, smog Pump equipped X 1/9. I needed to keep it all stock because the car requires a CA Smog Check every 2 years.

I looked at a procedure for adapting a GM alternator and it is a great upgrade but I didn't like the idea of cutting up the stock pivot bracket for the alternator. My Brother told me that he had a MOPAR alternator from his 440 Coronet and when I saw the mount for the pivot it looked right so it gave me some ideas. The MOPAR alternator appeared too big to fit in the engine bay so I started searching for alternators on eBay. The Nissan alternator had the right pivot mount, so I went to the local AutoZone parts store to see if they had one. The counterman was very helpful and said I could return the alternator if it didn't fit.

The Nissan alternator fit the pivot mount and I found that when I biased the alternator to the passenger's side; all the pulleys lined up perfectly. I used a 7mm spacer to keep the alternator aligned. I needed to use a pivot bolt that was one inch longer than the stock bolt. I used a the GM adjusting bracket, a 15335 alternator V-belt and a stock Nissan Electrical Connector (Pigtail) to make the installation look right. I needed to cut 4.5" off of the adjusting bracket and drill a new mounting hole. I attached the adjusting bracket to the water pump using a stud and nut so removal and installation would not disturb the water pump seal. I removed the original Fiat Alternator adjusting arm because it was in the way and not needed. I installed spacers that were the same thickness as the original adjusting arm, where the Smog Pump bracket meets the Water Pump Housing. These spacers are hidden and can't be seen in the photos.

I included links to the parts that I used along with a photo of the AutoZone box that the alternator came in. AutoZone had 4 of these alternators in stock, and although $127.00 may be a bit high, it came with a lifetime warranty. So this was my recipe, let me know if this works out for you. Here are the links:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Alternator-For-Nissan-Frontier-Pickup-2-4-2-4L-98-99-00-01-02-03-04-1998/162180614895?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
NEW Alternator For Nissan Frontier Pickup 2.4 2.4L 98 99 00 01 02 03 04 1998
https://www.ebay.com/itm/ALTERNATOR...182071?hash=item4651172537:g:zEUAAOSwXeJXfzZ7
ALTERNATOR REPAIR PLUG HARNESS 2-WIRE PIN PIGTAIL FOR NISSAN XTERRA FRONTIER
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BPWS90/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Spectre Performance 42263 Alternator Bracket Kit

Attachments

• IMG_3131.JPG
    IMG_3131.JPG
    265.8 KB · Views: 325
  • IMG_3129.JPG
    IMG_3129.JPG
    274.6 KB · Views: 206
Last edited:
Nice work Tommy.
The Nissan alternator fit the pivot mount and I found that when I biased the alternator to the passenger's side; all the pulleys lined up perfectly. I used a 7mm spacer to keep the alternator aligned. I needed to use a pivot bolt that was one inch longer than the stock bolt.
So as I understand it, the Nissan mounting tabs are 7mm further apart than on the Fiat alternator. This allowed the Nissan alt to be moved to the proper position with the spacer in between the Nissan mounting tabs, to one side of the Fiat bracket?

Was the bolt hole in the Nissan alt the same diameter as the Fiat's?
Thanks. If possible post additional pics of some more details, just to help everyone.

Good catch Andy, I corrected it on the previous page.

Thanks Doc, you are correct; the mounting tabs are 7mm further apart and that necessitated the use of a longer bolt. The alternator moved about 7mm left to right on my car, and luckily it lined up perfectly when I shifted the alternator all the way to the passenger side. The bolt diameter was the same on the Fiat and Nissan alternators so there was no slop in the pivot mount, it was a perfect fit.

I posted a picture of the installation from the bottom of the car. The spacer you see is actually a collar with the set screw removed. The collar was 8mm but I needed to grind to 7mm to make it fit.
The last photo is a picture of the stud that I used to mount the adjustment bracket, I thought a nut and stud arrangement would leave the Water Pump undisturbed.

Attachments

• IMG_3111.JPG
    IMG_3111.JPG
    310.8 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_3108.JPG
    IMG_3108.JPG
    174.3 KB · Views: 222
Last edited:
I really wanted to use a dual bottom ear unit like that, because it just seems more stable. There have been a few folks on here that have had trouble with the upper adjustment arm breaking, including me....I'm thinking the stress from not enough lower support is the problem

I'll let you know if the I have any trouble with the upper adjustment arm, but maybe the dual bottom ear on the pivot may make the difference. I noticed that when I drilled the adjustment arm, the metal shavings look more like pot metal than steel. The Spectra brand adjustment arm might use the cheaper Chinese steel. If I have trouble, I may replace it with a plain old American steel unit instead of chrome. I think I may have one left over from one of my Chevy projects.

Last edited:
Back