No comments from seller on BaT

carl

True Classic
So the beautiful green 74 X has had many questions asked and the seller has not responded at all. Does a non responsive seller have a major impact on selling price?
All the comments about the outside rearview mirror make me cringe...yes stupid to not fix it but who the hell cares. I have had those mirrors on some of my Fiats and the screw to tighten the mirror and hold it in place was always getting loose.

Yes, an unresponsive seller kills auctions on BaT for sure.

That car is absolutely gorgeous though--perfect color, perfect bumpers, perfect wheels. That's what I want my 82 to look like, but with the modern later black interior.

I agree, communication is important in any business transaction. I cannot understand someone spending the time, effort, and money to auction off a vehicle but not be bothered to follow up on it like that.

Yes, it can be very overwhelming. Seller did finally come around though. He even posted some janky videos showing the car could be started and move under it's own power. It hammered at $18,500 with some exuberant last minute bids so seller probably got more than he hoped.

I think that a non-responsive seller on BAT is a red flag. It can turn a possible bidder into a observer real fast.
Plus, with the BAT formula to prevent sniping it's always very possible that someone who asks questions finds that it's not worth bidding when the price goes too high. So just because someone doesn't bid, doesn't mean they are not serious. The folks who aren't serious bid something like $1.974. Why?
The car is question looked very nice. Maybe not $18,500 (plus fees) nice, but from the pics, nice. What really bugs me is when the seller makes no promises that the car even runs and drives. No video, nothing. So when a buyer finds out the car doesn't run, or drive, they have no recourse - because the seller never promised that it would. Of course if someone is serious about spending a serious amount of money, they should do (or commission one) and inspection. That way there are no surprises.
I hope the buyer of this car shows up here and tells us all about the car, it looks like a nice one!

I was really excited about BaT at first but have cooled on it as it has gained in popularity this last year or two. There are a lot of new sellers showing up supposedly "unprepared" with sketchy looking cars with brand new paint and plastic filler. For a while the "pros" were doing heavy color saturation and photo editing, miking up tailpipes to hide noisy engines or dubbing the sound completely with classical music. Trouble is, most buyers don't know the tricks and bid too much for crap. I don't think that '74 today was worth $18,500 either.

Trouble is, most buyers don't know the tricks and bid too much for crap. I don't think that '74 today was worth $18,500 either.
Needs a respray at a minimum. Paint pimples at the targa hoop and very roughly finished elsewhere. Add at least a couple grand to restore the dashboard, unless you're happy with a cracked dash on an $18k X1/9.

I was really excited about BaT at first but have cooled on it as it has gained in popularity this last year or two.

I spend more time on Cars and Bids nowadays than I ever did on BaT. It has a more personal and humble feeling than BaT, which has begun to feel like a low-dollar BJ. (That's Barrett-Jackson. Get your mind out of the gutter.)

Looks like that car is sold $18500 , US dollars I am assuming. Makes me wonder what I could do for next project !!!

BAT is smoke and mirrors, shill bidders, tarted up cars. Yup, I am bitter, could not sell a running California 1972 BMW Bavaria for $1500 and folk buy slick paint jobs and covered u rot fr 15k…

Alonzo
They had the "sham bidder" problem under a microscope a few months ago. My rule is "never again".

I spend more time on Cars and Bids nowadays than I ever did on BaT. It has a more personal and humble feeling than BaT, which has begun to feel like a low-dollar BJ. (That's Barrett-Jackson. Get your mind out of the gutter.)

Such a horrible website name though, "Cars and Bids" I mean come on.

But then, dorkiness is DeMuro's style.

Such a horrible website name though, "Cars and Bids" I mean come on.

But then, dorkiness is DeMuro's style.

I agree that it's a bit goofy, but I like the feel better. I will browse both occasionally, but BaT cars are mostly daydreams at my budget.

Back