No fuel to carb!

XCoast

Daily Driver
Hi Guys, 1980 that quit wanting to start. The clear fuel filter showed barely any fuel dribbling in. Replaced the fuel pump with the current Bayliss mechanical and now nothing. When you suck on the outtake line to the carb you can hear air entering the check valve. No change in starting when I tried to block off the check valve hole. Any other ideas on why no fuel? Bad sending unit in the tank or similar? Fuel does appear when sucking on intake line from the tank. Please advise. thanks!

So, there is fuel in the tank. You can get it coming when sucking. Maybe something stupid. Like a clogged hose, or the fuel pump plugged in reverse?

Yes fuel in tank. Yea, can get it coming when sucking on inlet line. Everything looks to be plugged in properly. Maybe a bad old and new pump?

Hi Guys, 1980 that quit wanting to start. The clear fuel filter showed barely any fuel dribbling in. Replaced the fuel pump with the current Bayliss mechanical and now nothing. When you suck on the outtake line to the carb you can hear air entering the check valve. No change in starting when I tried to block off the check valve hole. Any other ideas on why no fuel? Bad sending unit in the tank or similar? Fuel does appear when sucking on intake line from the tank. Please advise. thanks!
Hi is the rod behind fuel pump in place ,

Turns out this was a fuel line check valve that had malfunctioned. Changed that to one from ebay as you can't get the original anymore and it immediately fired up. I had put a new fuel pump on and decided to leave that.👍

Hello , can you share a photo of "fuel line check valve" can you do it yourself in your garage?My X1/9 has the same problem.Especially when I do not run the car for a long time this always happens to my car.

Sure. It's the same thing Bayliss says it out of stock on their website but you can easily buy on ebay. Easy to do you just remove the old flying saucer looking thing(original style) and replace. 8mm aluminum one way non return check valve about $5.99. Works great!

Last edited:
20220429_133443.jpg

Not that I have any experience with a mechanical fuel pump exxie, but I do remember conversations here about how come new mechanical fuel pumps come with extra gaskets. Turns out you set the proper rod to pump clearance by stacking up the magical combination of gaskets that adds up to make the right clearance, Clarence. :)

Back