No Lights

rhoadesm

True Classic
I have been trying to get my X back on the road, its a 1980 carb model. I got it all running but now I have no headlights, side marker lights or parking lights, even the headlight doors won't open. I checked and I have no power to fuse 16 (headlights open) when I turn on the headlights and it appears that fuse 15 (headlights close) always has power. I can manually trigger fuse 16 and the headlights do open and I can manually trigger fuse 15 and they close. There is also no power to fuse 7 (side marker lights) but again I can manually trigger those to come on. I does not appear to be the light relay as I swapped it with one of the headlight door relays and still have the same issue (relays are the same). When I look at the wiring diagram, the wiring coming from my switch does not match colors on the diagram and mine has like 4 wires but 2 to the same terminal but the diagram has 4, so I am kind of confused on that. The car has been parked since 2018 but in the garage, not outside and all this did work when I parked it. Any ideas? I have attach a photo of the back of the switch so you can see the wires and color.

Also to note but not sure this would have anything to do with it. My ignition switch will not spring back from the start position to the run position when you let it go, I have to manually move it back once the car starts. I do plan on replacing the ignition switch in the near future.

Any help would be great. I would love to get the car out and drive it around in the 105 degree heat that we are having today (yes I am in Texas), :)

Attachments

• 20220611_121638.jpg
    20220611_121638.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 66
The ignition switch has two "on in run and start" outputs. The loads are divided between then roughly into "exterior lighting" and "everything else". I suspect your problem is with the ignition switch. At the back of the headlight switch the wiring diagrams show that one of the terminals should have two wires going to it; one black from the ignition switch and one thinner brown going to another terminal on the headlight switch. With the ignition in "run", do you have battery voltage on these two wires?

Last edited:
On my switch, I have 2 browna wire that come together into a single connector and this connects to the center connection on the switch, its kind of hard to see in the pic. It does appear I have power to the 2 wires in at least the run position. With that being said, I am not an electrical person, this is one of the things I struggle with. A few years back I bought one of those Power Probe III things and if I am doing it correctly, it shows I have power to the switch.

Back