No power

Just for reference, what was the ignition module used in this mod? If it was a HEI replacement like Yves mentioned in his thread then you need a matching very low primary transistor ignition coil like the 105 he used as the module regulates the current to 6A or so as required - no ballast is used in this setup. Not all modules are alike, and some better across the rev range. Yves has fundamentally the same setup as the 124 uses (as pictured in his thread), but ideally needs the big heatsink as well. I,m not sure putting one of these HEI modules back in the stock X1/9 case with minimal heatsink is a good idea, but that's for another day...

My final configuration for the heat sink was to file/sand the lid to remove the relief in order to have the best physical thermal contact and put a heat sink with the heat compound paste. The heat sink cover almost all the lid.
ScreenShot017.jpg

Thanks guys, OK, so Mike appears to have a Red Bosch coil: Bosch 0 221 119 030, rated for 12v with a primary of ~1.6ohm Ballast is only used if there is a points system ( http://www.bosch-classic.com/media/...pule/Mini-Katalog__Zuendspulen_0221xxxxxx.pdf )

I would bypass the ballast and take the 12v feed straight to the coil + terminal and see how it goes.....
NEG,
I didn’t read your post and put the MSD coil back in and the X1/9 started and ran with good idol. Then I started driving it. Man, I need to set the timing.
I might try the new Bosch coil without the ballast resistor in-line.
I will set the timing the way it is but I loaned Out my timing light to a friend. I hope to get it back very soon.
Thanks... getting there and it seems it is the coil that is the culprit.
Mike

Pics... I read Yves’ posts and someone mentioned using the MSD Blaster 2. That is what I had in the X prior to the issues. Put it back in and she fired right up and idled. Then it warmed up and everything went to hell. The timing need to be reset. Small backfires when letting off the pedal.
I think I might have it. Just need to get my timing light back from my friend.
I might try the newer coil without the ballast just to see if that is any better. The MSD coil doesn’t like the coil wire very much, comes out too easily.
Thanks,
Mike
1D33D3FA-15E8-4C3C-8D0D-E60361A5621B.jpeg
16DEE520-A025-4119-90DE-9E9BA65C560D.jpeg

Well,
I have done everything I possibly can given my limited ability to fix Gary’s X1/9. I have the timing set perfect... bypassed the ballast resistor changed it the ballast in and all I have done was to get the X1/9 to idle. It have half the power it had before I put in the aftermarket distributor in. Something happened in-between that I can’t explain.

I am thinking about placing the aftermarket distributor back in to see if power comes back. That will tell me if it is the ignition module or not. That would require installing the new Bosch coil too.
I am so frustrated at this point I can’t put it into words.
This was supposed to have been a simple timing belt and tensioner change that has turned into a major issue and over $400.00.

If it is the ignition module, I don’t have the $350 for a tested used one online.

any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If there is something that I missed or something I did wrong, please let me know.
If you live close, please PM me. I really need the help.

mike

Well,
I have done everything I possibly can given my limited ability to fix Gary’s X1/9. I have the timing set perfect... bypassed the ballast resistor changed it the ballast in and all I have done was to get the X1/9 to idle. It have half the power it had before I put in the aftermarket distributor in. Something happened in-between that I can’t explain.

I am thinking about placing the aftermarket distributor back in to see if power comes back. That will tell me if it is the ignition module or not. That would require installing the new Bosch coil too.
I am so frustrated at this point I can’t put it into words.
This was supposed to have been a simple timing belt and tensioner change that has turned into a major issue and over $400.00.

If it is the ignition module, I don’t have the $350 for a tested used one online.

any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If there is something that I missed or something I did wrong, please let me know.
If you live close, please PM me. I really need the help.

mike

I pains me but we have decided to seek the X1/9. I will list it in For Sale section.
Thanks for all the help,
Mike

Do you have the vacuum hose from the throttle body to the distributor hooked up?

Does it sound like it is firing on all cylinders?

Do you have the plug wires in the correct order?

index.php

I pains me but we have decided to seek the X1/9. I will list it in For Sale section.
Thanks for all the help,
Mike
I understand the frustration, but getting the ignition system to work is manageable. It would be a shame to let the car go because of a problem as trivial as this. We know that a stock ignition system works, and I think the only part you are missing to get the system back in stock order is the coil?

I understand the frustration, but getting the ignition system to work is manageable. It would be a shame to let the car go because of a problem as trivial as this. We know that a stock ignition system works, and I think the only part you are missing to get the system back in stock order is the coil?
ng_randolph,
It isn’t just the fact this might be an easy fix. Iipt is that I do not know enough about the systems to be able to fix it. I put the original Bosch coil back in and still had no power. Something is not correct with the system and I am just unable to physically keep up.
This is a combination of a health and financial issue as well.
I really appreciate you trying to help me but it is hard over the internet. In Nebraska I had a master mechanic across the street who would come over and gets things right for me when I was over my head but here in Tampa I am limited.
Thanks again for everything but I know it is time. It sure was fun and I just loved driving Gary around in it. I will have to fill in the time with something else.
Mike

Well,

Did the symptoms that you describe happen immediately after changing the timing belt? In this case, you could have the belt off by a tooth. This would explain why playing with the ignition timing helps the situation, although you will never be able to make up for being one tooth off. It would certainly explain the loss of power and other symptoms. I'd look at this aspect first.

Cheers,
Dom.

well i would fit back the marelli and drive happy.. tons of '80\'90s italian cars (ritmo, regata, delta, uno) had that dizzy and it works flawless, spares are available and reasonably priced..is not a blasoned bosch, but works well

you said the bosch is redone\remanufactured..probably there is something gone wrong with this

Here are the pics... the site now has it on sale (of course). It got me to the car show but didn’t like the mods I had to do to get it to work. It bypassed the ballast resistor.
While installing it the green wire fell out of the ignition module and I had to tear it apart and solder it on the board.
Not the best product but did the job.
Maybe something I can salvage from it.
Mike
View attachment 26231 View attachment 26232

As Ghostdancing says why not just refit the replacement distributor as it seems to work and enjoy the car?

well i would fit back the marelli and drive happy.. tons of '80\'90s italian cars (ritmo, regata, delta, uno) had that dizzy and it works flawless, spares are available and reasonably priced..is not a blasoned bosch, but works well

you said the bosch is redone\remanufactured..probably there is something gone wrong with this
Ghostdancing,
I will do that for troubleshooting but the distributor doesn’t allow the access panel to go back in. Then the heat on the passenger seat get too unbearable. Plus, the fumes coming into the cabin isn’t great either.
I feel it is the ignition module.
Thanks fo the suggestion. I know my limitations and I am spending too much time and effort on the X1/9 when I have a six month old and a nine year old I need to focus on more.
Gary is upset with me for making this decision. However, he came to me last night and said that it is time to move on from it.
I have done as much as I can both physically and ability. Someone else here will be able to keep it running and drive it more than I can.

Mike

Did the symptoms that you describe happen immediately after changing the timing belt? In this case, you could have the belt off by a tooth. This would explain why playing with the ignition timing helps the situation, although you will never be able to make up for being one tooth off. It would certainly explain the loss of power and other symptoms. I'd look at this aspect first.

Cheers,
Dom.

Dom,
It ran like a champion to Sarasota and back (over one hour there and one hour back). When I changed the aftermarket system out for the original system that is when things got squirrelly. I believe it is the ignition module. I don’t think it enjoyed being bypassed. It is the modified GM model from an XWeb’er here. It has been great.
With the MSD coil installed the X idles and has power for about ten minutes then it cuts down to about half. The original black Bosch coil that came with the X1/9 wouldn’t keep the X at idle. The red new Bosch coil wouldn’t keep the X at idle either. Only the MSD Blaster 2.
I will let you know if changing back to the aftermarket distributor and new coil bring it back to life. Then I will know if it is the ignition module for sure. And of course, a new ignition module will have to be ordered. I hope the XWeb’er still has a few he can sell. Wonderful price and I need to save as much money as possible at the moment.
Mike

In addition to what @ng_randolph said about the plug wires in the correct order, did you set the timing from Cylinder #4? Sometimes it's the simple things that trip me up when I'm preoccupied looking for the complicated solution.

The plugs are confirmed several times in the correct order and the vacuum line was recently installed. Funny thing is that it was never installed from the day I purchased the X until just recently.
Going to try a couple of things when I get home but family life is really pressuring me to finish this.
That is why I listed it. I have a family and a wonderful six month old that this is taking away from.
Gary... well, he is upset with my decision to sell it but I can’t just leave the X sitting. There are five great vehicles in my neighborhood that have never ran since I have been in Tampa. I am not going to do that to this X1/9. If I can’t take the time and do this right then I have to know my limits and let someone else take over and enjoy it the way it is supposed be enjoyed.
But I am going to try and fix the issues prior to turning it over to a new owner.
Mike

Okay... so I have ordered a new(er) distributor from someone here and will try that later.
Now this scares me. I have noticed that when ever the engine is cool it starts and runs great for about a minute then it gets real hot real quick. Very small amounts of white smoke (very small amount) from the exhaust. Then the power just goes away. She idles but no power. My fear is I have a blown head gasket.

I swapped the ignition module, reset the timing, cleaned the spark plugs, rebuilt the distributor (and made a failed attempt at another tear down), multiple coils, left the original ballast resistor in line and taken it out and nothing is working.
This has to be more major than I expected. I do not know of any competent mechanics shops anywhere near where I live and my call out to Tampa area Xwebbers has gone unanswered.
I have the head bolts and gasket from MWB so that should be good if that is indeed the issue.
However, I need to let this go for awhile and focus on other issues. That is why I need the X1/9 gone. I have other personal things that need my attention and I have to let this X1/9 sit in the garage for a very long time. After this weekend, if the newer distributor doesn’t do the trick then she is going to go up on jack stands and just sit until someone offers me something for it.
I looked up a new stock engine and they are about $500.00. By taking off some parts from what is in it now and using the extras someone is going to get a great deal even if the engine needs to be replaced. I do not have the health or bandwidth to keep this going.
I should have never used that aftermarket distributor and should have taken my time and missed the car show. Then I feel this issue would have never been, oh well. Should haves could haves....
When I finish this weekend I will make a decision on what to do with the X.
Thanks,
Mike

Okay... so I have ordered a new(er) distributor from someone here and will try that later.
Now this scares me. I have noticed that when ever the engine is cool it starts and runs great for about a minute then it gets real hot real quick. Very small amounts of white smoke (very small amount) from the exhaust. Then the power just goes away. She idles but no power. My fear is I have a blown head gasket.

I swapped the ignition module, reset the timing, cleaned the spark plugs, rebuilt the distributor (and made a failed attempt at another tear down), multiple coils, left the original ballast resistor in line and taken it out and nothing is working.
This has to be more major than I expected. I do not know of any competent mechanics shops anywhere near where I live and my call out to Tampa area Xwebbers has gone unanswered.
I have the head bolts and gasket from MWB so that should be good if that is indeed the issue.
However, I need to let this go for awhile and focus on other issues. That is why I need the X1/9 gone. I have other personal things that need my attention and I have to let this X1/9 sit in the garage for a very long time. After this weekend, if the newer distributor doesn’t do the trick then she is going to go up on jack stands and just sit until someone offers me something for it.
I looked up a new stock engine and they are about $500.00. By taking off some parts from what is in it now and using the extras someone is going to get a great deal even if the engine needs to be replaced. I do not have the health or bandwidth to keep this going.
I should have never used that aftermarket distributor and should have taken my time and missed the car show. Then I feel this issue would have never been, oh well. Should haves could haves....
When I finish this weekend I will make a decision on what to do with the X.
Thanks,
Mike

If you suspect a blown head gasket, I'd still highly recommend doing a compression test (it should be done with the car warmed up). Also after it has warmed up, disconnect the coil, and have someone crank the car while you look into the coolant reservoir (with the spark plugs installed). If bubbles appear while cranking that would point to a head gasket issue. Best of luck!

Back