No Start Frustration, 1983 X1/9

It's an interesting setup; you adjust the tension of the water pump belt by using the right thickness shim between the pulley halves. Because there is a TDC mark on the outer pulley half, the two pulley halves need to be keyed somehow, and Fiat did this by offsetting one of the three studs the outer half mounts to. Rather than being spaced equally 120° apart, they are spaced 120°, 122° and 118°. Close enough that you can cram the outer pulley half on there in the wring orientation.
Brings to mind that quip "there is no such thing as foolproof because those fools are so damned clever."

A further update, for all those who might care. While I had got the car started, it obviously wasn't right. I ended up pulling the transmission out and correcting the flywheel installation, and also pulling the crank pulley to verify the timing mark on the crank belt gear. What I found was extraordinary: The car originally had AC, so had the dual-sheave pulley at the cam belt end of the crank. A PO had at some point disassembled the two halves of the pulley (necessary to remove it with the engine in-situ), but had misaligned the two pieces when reassembling, forcing one of the studs into place. As a result, the timing mark on the pulley was 60° off! When I had reassembled the engine when it was out of the car, I had set the timing based on piston and cam gear position, and hadn't noticed the crank mark being off. When I later tried to use it, I was making it worse with every change! Anyway, now properly timed, starts instantly, and all I need to do is to fix the off-idle stumble and pre-ignition under load.
It’s all in the details. Good job ferreting out the base issue. Who’da thunk it. Dang.

Back