NOS Parts Question

Red Bull 78

True Classic
I found a NOS(New OLD Stock) Metelli Brake and NOS Beck & Arnley Clutch Master Cylinders. Considering there is no way to know how long these parts MAY have been sitting on a shelf, do you think it would be wise to open them up to check the seals for Dry Rot, Hardening or Cracks, BEFORE I put them on the car?

Wouldn't hurt

You can also get a seal repair kit for your existing master cylinder if it's not all pitted inside. Something like THIS: <-click

And if you can get some brake cylinder lube, reassemble with that. no telling how much if any lube will remain after so long. A little brake fluid will also work.

I found a NOS(New OLD Stock) Metelli Brake and NOS Beck & Arnley Clutch Master Cylinders. Considering there is no way to know how long these parts MAY have been sitting on a shelf, do you think it would be wise to open them up to check the seals for Dry Rot, Hardening or Cracks, BEFORE I put them on the car?

That would indeed be wise. installing the masters is enough of a PITA that you don't want to have to do it again. Also, check out this post by Chris Obert: xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?posts/20214 and especially the bit about disassembly and lubrication.

Thanks guys. The "Red Bull" showed 06800 miles when I bought it and paperwork shows the PO had spent $800.00+ on Clutch, Timing Belt & Rear Brake R&R at 05600 May 09. Meaning the OE Master cylinder crapped out on him within 1000 mile of all that work and the car has been sitting idle for 2-3 years. That work included a NEW Clutch MC, but it doesn't allow shifting into Reverse while running. I'm thinking that could be just a bleeding issue, but I'm going with a New MC for both while I'm in there. I'm going to try bleeding it before i start the R&R, just to see. Best case scenario I come out with a barely used Clutch MC.
The car has been sitting under a tarp in a friend's unheated garage with a leaky roof, since Nov and I've had everything I think I'll need except nice weather, since early Dec.
Next few days are supposed to be in the 50-60's with 20-50% chance on rain. If the timing of the rain cooperates, I'm finally going to get in there and check things out for myself.
I've spent the last 3 months collecting parts and reading everything I can find, here and elsewhere. Most people get Cabin Fever in the Winter. I'm having "Garage Time" Withdrawal symptoms. If I don't turn a wrench soon, my "Muffler Bearing" is going to blow a gasket.:mallet::wacko:

Thanks for reminding me...

I musta had 110,000 on the original maaster and slave and 3 since for the last 70,000!

I need new seals on the latest master!

I just may try an overhaul this time as that seems to last just as long as the NEW ones!

That's pretty much my original question. Even though they are "NEW" parts, their Date of Manufacture brings up basic survival questions.
For all I know, the "New" parts I have might have been sitting around for 35 years?
They put Expiration Dates on Foods & Condoms, because they know the packaging or the product will break down over time, rendering them useless or downright dangerous.:eek:

Back