Official Member Car Picture Thread

The instrument panel looks later than a US 74 model as do the switches just behind the gear shift lever. I've only seen one 74 X with a rear window defrost installed but never confirmed it was original. However, this car has a left side exhaust exit which only came with 74 cars for the US (no cat). I suppose it is possible that someone put 74 bumpers on a 75. A straight on view of the rear would be more revealing as changing the rear of a 75+ car to look like a 74 is a bit more work than just changing the bumpers. Looks like the right chrome trim is on the rear but it would be nice to see what the bottom looks like.

My '74 is a Canadian market car with the rear window defrost. Mine looks to be original.

Roy
The 74 with rear window defrost that I saw was in NY so perhaps they were only sent to cold climates. I have not seen one in CA. No sign of it on the US schematic.

A straight on view of the rear would be more revealing as changing the rear of a 75+ car to look like a 74 is a bit more work than just changing the bumpers. Looks like the right chrome trim is on the rear but it would be nice to see what the bottom looks like.
This isn't a straight-on view, but it's what I've got for now:
IMG_5461.JPG

Yeah, definitely seems like the listing was incorrect. Not surprising, since it was an inherited vehicle. Maybe I'll luck out and get some manuals and original documentation with it. I am now skeptical about the reported mileage, but as long as it runs (for a bit), I'll be pretty happy.

Looks like a 74 to me. That should save you some weight! I wonder if the seat belt
interlock system is still connected?

skeptical about the reported mileage
Seriously? These cars have a 100,00 k or m odo. The car is 50 years old.... It will have lapped the odo some number of times greater than one. Perfectly possible to see a genuine odo reading of zero - that would in reality be plus some number of times of 100,000.

Last edited:
The only x with genuine mileage [kilometerage] is one that has a complete documented service history from new. So maybe @dllubin :)?
My X had a defective trip odometer from the factory. I brought it to the dealer shortly after I bought the car. A replacement speedometer was out of stock according to the service department so they had to order one. After many calls and no replacement after many months, I finally wrote to Fiat USA back in New Jersey and complained about the poor service (Fiat dealers were the worst I have dealt with and was likely the reason they had to leave the US). They must have really got on the owner of the dealership as he sent me a letter complaining to me that I complained to Fiat about the poor service. I sent a letter back to him suggesting that he learn how to satisfy his customers instead of complaining to me about the crap service his dealership provided. A few weeks later I had a new speedometer. Only took 10 months! The replacement speedometer mileage was set to the same mileage on the defective unit - 21,097 miles. I think that they were required to do that according to California DMV rules.

Last edited:
Back