Official Member Car Picture Thread

15740803_10212065631742542_885245499477515995_n.jpg

15698075_10212065632022549_5971601847727874323_n.jpg

15740803_10212065631742542_885245499477515995_n.jpg

15698060_10212065632062550_8162450488512530263_n.jpg

A little more work on the Bumble Bee. Things are going extremely slow but will ramp up once the car is at the new house. Just need to get it on its wheels first....

Hello fellow X1/9 owners! New to the forum and wanted to share... Restoring my 85 X1/9 that I bought after I graduated high school. Have the motor running perfectly, now on to the exterior... and interior... but all in good time! Tomorrow I'll be working on the dreaded brake master cylinder replacement... hope my back will hold out... Still finding used parts here and there to replace old broken grills and reservoirs... Can't wait for it to be my daily driver again!
20161020_125008.jpg
20161024_182443.jpg
20161213_170020.jpg
20161020_111859.jpg
20161020_125008.jpg

That's a very clean car!

BTW, I've found if you pull the drivers seat out, it gives you alot more room to work on the pedal box. The other option, pull the pedal box. Just a few brake lines and a couple of bolts. Oh, and if your going to do the brake master, why not do the clutch master as well?

Thank you! Unfortunately, I've had to do this job once before... I've never dropped the entire pedal box, but now than I'm 20 years older than the last time I did this... it may be the way to go! All in all, the car is in great shape, I had a fuel delivery system issue for years that left me stranded a couple times. Replaced pretty much everything dealing with spark and fuel and it runs amazing now! I have a few rust spots in the usual places that I need to attend to, but I'll drive it daily and when I have all the proper parts and $$$ to pour into a complete strip down I'll knock that and the paint out. Until then, working on new leather for the seats and door panels. I'd love to get the dash covered in leather as well, but we'll see... and oh, I need to figure out a way to straighten the speedometer and tach needles... over the years they've warped from the heat... ugh...

I'll tell you what I did for the needles. I Pulled the warped ones off and attached painted toothpicks with a dab of epoxy. They looked awesome!

You could also look at creating the needles out of thin aluminum, light weight and won't warp or corrode.

Nice looking example. Create a thread on your restoration as you will get much more participation from others than in this part of the forum.

Me or Hoops? I have one in the Workshop forum somewhere. FTR, The BumbleBee's resto is on temp hiatus. Too many Honey Do projects first.

Sorry, I was referring to Hoops and his project.

The Bumble Bee is also looking amazing. Pearl yellow is going to be incredibly striking.

Hey Karl and Mike,
Thanks a ton for the info on the needles! I'm piecing everything together slowly.. like most I suppose! Waiting on a new clutch master cylinder... I don't know why I didn't order one when I got the brake master cylinder (although I've replaced that once before and the brake mc is the original one from 85!). So... I pulled everything apart, busted a few knuckles on frozen bolts and got the brake mc in, now just waiting for the clutch mc to arrive on Thursday... I go back to work on Monday after 2 weeks off... I hate it when work gets in the way of my cars! I also have an 06 Porsche Cayman S that I love and race on a regular basis for fun... although the X was my first love and always will be (and I'll never get rid of either one!). I'm bad a taking pictures and documenting my progress with projects, but I'll try to be better about it so I can share my progress, I know there's a ton of info out there from guys who've been down this road before! Thank you again for your advice and inspiration, I can't tell you how many joys my X1/9 have brought to me over the years!

The biggest advantage to having a thread on your car and the work you are doing is that others can chime in with their experiences (not always helpful ) but it can help. Just a thought.

There are a bunch of tremendously creative and capable folks on here who have consistently shown a strong willingness to help and assist, getting some of that is worth the investment.

That is one nice X. Really original in its appearance. Thanks for posting that one up. Looks great in all black.

Great looking car Dan! First time I saw the two tone was in a Fiat showroom 1982 half and half light and dark silver with red leather... Special edition of some sort... Seems like the carpet was almost pink or something. Would have to ask my Dad but I remember both of us commented on one odd detail. Actually it was a pink leather steering wheel! Was not pink but light red, right? Then my '83 was Rally Red and Anthracite half and half. Had a friend with the same year in dark grey/Anthracite also striking colors Yours is '85? I like the break on that two tone as well and the colors are a couple of my favorites! Love the real wheels too! Beautiful car!

Hi Rocco, thanks for the nice compliments!

I have never seen one of the red interiors in person, but in pictures they are indeed attention-getting! And usually you see the red interiors on the early 80s low-waisted light over dark two-tones. Your memory of pink is probably correct, as they started out red and then sun-fading would have made them somewhat pink!

Mine is an '86 by the federal tag, but it was manufactured 6/85 so it does not have the center high mounted stoplight and has a 10-bolt head and not the later-'86 14 bolt head. The wheels are Cromodora CD-58, which are cast magnesium alloy (Cromodora used the term "Elektron"). Like everyone else I wanted CD-31 Daytonas, but could not find a set in a condition to match people's asking prices, so I went with the next best thing.

I have never seen one of the red interiors in person, but in pictures they are indeed attention-getting! And usually you see the red interiors on the early 80s low-waisted light over dark two-tones. Your memory of pink is probably correct, as they started out red and then sun-fading would have made them somewhat pink!

Mine is an '86 by the federal tag, but it was manufactured 6/85 so it does not have the center high mounted stoplight and has a 10-bolt head and not the later-'86 14 bolt head. The wheels are Cromodora CD-58, which are cast magnesium alloy (Cromodora used the term "Elektron"). Like everyone else I wanted CD-31 Daytonas, but could not find a set in a condition to match people's asking prices, so I went with the next best thing.

Hahaha, next best rim is CD-91. Lol

Attachments

• IMG_1690.JPG
    IMG_1690.JPG
    244.9 KB · Views: 102

Sure Dan!
I talked to my dad about the pink component and he did not remember which detail but I m pretty sure it was the steering wheel. Would not have been sun fade because I am talking about just off the boat sitting in the showroom new! We had a Fiat dealership just outside of town until 1982. I was home on leave and we went to check things out. Might have been my favorite X I never owned but that pink was strange. After Fiat left and IAI started with the Bertone the price went to 16k? overnight. They were sold out of our Mazda dealership and I bought the brand new '83 in '85 for 8k. I had been looking at that car at that dealership for years and when my '80 got totalled I replaced it with the '83... AC and power windows, leather... All the bells and whistles. Still have that car in MI and the wheels are on my '79.
I really like the wheels you have as well as the CD-31s wish I had picked a set up back in the day. I will probably grab some CD-30s before too long they are near my favorites at this time. It is probably some little OCT thing but I like the four spoke better on the X and the Daytonas really say 80s Ferrari to me. I wonder how a Lamborghini style would look on X with it's more angular theme... Actually the LP400 wheels look similar to the Maserati Bi Turbo 14" inch wheels and they look nice. A while back someone tried to get interest in a short run of new CD-31 wrong timing but I would probably be more inclined to go 14" if we were given a choice. Folks don't much like the 13s but they are period correct and I think 14s would be subtle increase while maintaining the period look IMO. But that would probably afford even fewer tire choices. Always a compromise when it come to historical autos...
Regards

A while back someone tried to get interest in a short run of new CD-31
Yes, IIRC International Auto Parts commissioned Cromodora to do a run of CD-31, unfortunately its was in the Alfa bolt pattern and double-unfortunately, they were done in cast aluminum and not magnesium aka "Elektron." IAP's reps at 2009 FFO here in the Philadelphia area had them at their display in the hotel and at the Saturday car show.

Time to put them away for a long winters nap...

Put my 850 Sport Coupe away for the winter along with my X1/9.

IMG_2221.jpg

Nice! My third car as a teen in England was an 850 coupe in Positano Yellow with a black vinyl roof. Seemed so big (after my 500's) at the time, and my first watercooled car :)

Back