Official Member Car Picture Thread

And the retractors are on the floor, as opposed to being on the B pillar? No second, belt anchor point on the floor?

Retractor is mounted to the box structure on the floor. Forgot about the second floor attachment on the sill:

Seatbelt_sill_mount_point.jpg

Need to see it mocked up (i.e. belt back in place)?

Roy

Retractor is mounted to the box structure on the floor. Forgot about the second floor attachment on the sill:

View attachment 43067

Roy
Thanks, that was all I needed to know - where and if there was a second floor anchor. Because the B pillar nut is higher up, you’ve got options which make things work easier for shoulder straps. The ‘74’s located the strap really low, likely for a non-retracting, early 70’s euro system.

View attachment 43067

Roy
Interesting. In my 78 the retractor was mounted where the red arrow is pointing in this pic. Mine came from the factory with lap belts only. Did yours come with factory shoulder belts?

Interesting. In my 78 the retractor was mounted where the red arrow is pointing in this pic. Mine came from the factory with lap belts only. Did yours come with factory shoulder belts?
I think the first re-design introduced shoulder harnesses, a higher B pillar nut, and a repositioned retractor position. Pre-79 was more difficult for adding shoulder straps, and only came with lap belts in America I think.

Last edited:
I think the first re-design introduced shoulder harnesses, a higher B pillar nut, and a repositioned retractor position. Pre-79 was more difficult for adding shoulder straps, and only came with lap belts in America I think.

Mine is a '78 Canadian market car. Looks original, the box where the retractor is mounted is covered in the same vinyl as the rest of the interior.

Roy

Mine is a '78 Canadian market car. Looks original, the box where the retractor is mounted is covered in the same vinyl as the rest of the interior.

Roy
Yes, Canada was ahead of America with three-point belt systems. All I know is the ‘74 has a very low, B pillar position, and a lay retractor hole on the side of the cockpit, not the back.

I was on this forum many years ago but haven’t posted in years. Life got in the way. Yesterday was a good day as my 86 X1/9 is back on the road after sitting for around 8 years. I’ve owned this X1/9 for over 25 years. It’s a nice rust free driver with a few improvements. I also have another 86 that was an autoxer in SCCA class DSP back in the 1990s. Great fun back in the day but Steve’s success resulted in a rule change that made the X1/9 uncompetitive. I sold the autox X1/9 in 2000. About 3 years ago, as I was thinking about getting my street car back on the road, I tracked down the old autox car. It was still owned locally by the guy I sold it to. All the wiring under the dash was pulled out and in a mess plus a number of other parts had been removed. I bought the car back for the parts. I moved the koni’s with coilovers, camber plates, lightened flywheel from the old autox car to the street car. I had the konis rebuilt / revalved, freshened the suspension bushings, replaced master clutch & brake cylinders and got the hydraulic stuff working. I took care of a few cosmetic things. Yesterday I got the alignment done and corner balanced the car. Its great to get behind the wheel of the X1/9 again. I still have some things to sort out but its back on the road. I have some parts left over from the mixing the two cars together that I’ll post for sale.
IMG_7513.jpg

I was on this forum many years ago but haven’t posted in years. Life got in the way. Yesterday was a good day as my 86 X1/9 is back on the road after sitting for around 8 years. I’ve owned this X1/9 for over 25 years. It’s a nice rust free driver with a few improvements. I also have another 86 that was an autoxer in SCCA class DSP back in the 1990s. Great fun back in the day but Steve’s success resulted in a rule change that made the X1/9 uncompetitive. I sold the autox X1/9 in 2000. About 3 years ago, as I was thinking about getting my street car back on the road, I tracked down the old autox car. It was still owned locally by the guy I sold it to. All the wiring under the dash was pulled out and in a mess plus a number of other parts had been removed. I bought the car back for the parts. I moved the koni’s with coilovers, camber plates, lightened flywheel from the old autox car to the street car. I had the konis rebuilt / revalved, freshened the suspension bushings, replaced master clutch & brake cylinders and got the hydraulic stuff working. I took care of a few cosmetic things. Yesterday I got the alignment done and corner balanced the car. Its great to get behind the wheel of the X1/9 again. I still have some things to sort out but its back on the road. I have some parts left over from the mixing the two cars together that I’ll post for sale.View attachment 44083
Great comeback story.

Welcome back and welcome back to driving it. I had the same happen with me. Too much other life and not enough for me too.

Gummy tires and great stance.

received_2928302264050452.jpeg
received_1404311259961917.jpeg

More pics coming, but here's a quick then and now of when I picked it up from my friends house in Houston Texas after it and an 850 Spider were shipped from Allison's Automotive to Nevada, to Houston.

The 850 is a work in progress as well- they were both $500, so obviously this was to be expected. The 850 needs a bit more work, but it'll get there.

Apart from the polishing, the appearance hasn't changed much as I'm trying to get the powertrain and chassis all sorted before diving into body work- apart from rust protecting.

Last edited:
I was on this forum many years ago but haven’t posted in years. Life got in the way. Yesterday was a good day as my 86 X1/9 is back on the road after sitting for around 8 years. I’ve owned this X1/9 for over 25 years. It’s a nice rust free driver with a few improvements. I also have another 86 that was an autoxer in SCCA class DSP back in the 1990s. Great fun back in the day but Steve’s success resulted in a rule change that made the X1/9 uncompetitive. I sold the autox X1/9 in 2000. About 3 years ago, as I was thinking about getting my street car back on the road, I tracked down the old autox car. It was still owned locally by the guy I sold it to. All the wiring under the dash was pulled out and in a mess plus a number of other parts had been removed. I bought the car back for the parts. I moved the koni’s with coilovers, camber plates, lightened flywheel from the old autox car to the street car. I had the konis rebuilt / revalved, freshened the suspension bushings, replaced master clutch & brake cylinders and got the hydraulic stuff working. I took care of a few cosmetic things. Yesterday I got the alignment done and corner balanced the car. Its great to get behind the wheel of the X1/9 again. I still have some things to sort out but its back on the road. I have some parts left over from the mixing the two cars together that I’ll post for sale.View attachment 44083
After years of complaining and bitching, the year I didn't send a letter requesting a reclass of the x in SP, they moved it to FSP in honor of my NOT SENDING A LETTER! Hah!

Back