Official Member Car Picture Thread

In case you need another pic of an X, here's mine. All original, meaning I don't think the PO did anything to it, except maybe change the oil and the jury's still out on that. Runs good but backfires when decelerating from high RPM, which is embarrassing, especially with that groovy two-tone yellow paint. I think the crap carb is too rich. Fun to drive but sadly I'm going to have to sell it, as my kid, for whom I bought it, has no interest.
X1 2.jpg

Attachments

• X1 1.jpg
    X1 1.jpg
    373.9 KB · Views: 112
In case you need another pic of an X, here's mine. All original, meaning I don't think the PO did anything to it, except maybe change the oil and the jury's still out on that. Runs good but backfires when decelerating from high RPM, which is embarrassing, especially with that groovy two-tone yellow paint. I think the crap carb is too rich. Fun to drive but sadly I'm going to have to sell it, as my kid, for whom I bought it, has no interest.View attachment 53701
going to post some details? year, mileage, interior photos? looks nice though :)

It's a 1979, mileage unknown (18,xxx indicated), driver's seat needs upholstery. As you know, it's tons of fun to drive, but I have too many projects to keep this one. I will likely sell it locally. Probably never get what I paid for it, much less what I've put into it. As for the backfiring, I'm looking into the gulp valve. I just learned what that was, having never heard the term until I got this thing.

Like you, just junk you read - because if it’s on the internet, it must be true ;)
More than rust, ours seems to ding/dent/crumple easier than any car I’ve ever seen. Since we’ve had it, three or four small dimples have appeared, and we have no idea where or why, unless lifting the car causes buckling….
You clearly have never owned a first generation Miata. Just looking at it seems to dent the damn thing. Ugh.

The outside is just about done! It's been a couple of years now. The body was very solid, so I started with going thru the engine and trans. Big cam, 2 DCNF Webers, header, ports polished, balanced, lightened flywheel, all the typical stuff. Then blocked and primed the body and the paint was sprayed a couple of weeks ago. Picked up the carpet kit earlier this week so the interior and suspension will happen over the winter. It felt great to just go drive it again!..
20211017_170323 (1).jpg
20211004_112949.jpg
20200516_095322.jpg

The outside is just about done! It's been a couple of years now. The body was very solid, so I started with going thru the engine and trans. Big cam, 2 DCNF Webers, header, ports polished, balanced, lightened flywheel, all the typical stuff. Then blocked and primed the body and the paint was sprayed a couple of weeks ago. Picked up the carpet kit earlier this week so the interior and suspension will happen over the winter. It felt great to just go drive it again!..View attachment 54242View attachment 54243View attachment 54244

The outside is just about done! It's been a couple of years now. The body was very solid, so I started with going thru the engine and trans. Big cam, 2 DCNF Webers, header, ports polished, balanced, lightened flywheel, all the typical stuff. Then blocked and primed the body and the paint was sprayed a couple of weeks ago. Picked up the carpet kit earlier this week so the interior and suspension will happen over the winter. It felt great to just go drive it again!..View attachment 54242View attachment 54243View attachment 54244
Love the front bumper. BTW, what size wheels are those (Brand, spacers?)?

Ditto on the airbox question? great solution. What year is your X1/9? Is your engine a 1300? What is your compression ratio? Paint and bumper look very cool.

Thanks for the comments! The car is a US spec 1980 carb 1500 and the compression is approx 10:1. The airbox does pull from above. I removed the inner lining on the engine cover so it breathes direct cool air and extended the latch loop by about 25 mm to clear the added height. The filter is a Spectre HPR 8205 and measures 6,25 X 13.5 inches. I'm not the best fabricator so I went with a simple metal box with a small flange around the top for the filter to set on. The first pic was during fabrication to show the area above the carb throat.
airbox3.jpg
20210112_131619.jpg

20211028_184844.jpg

The wheels are 15 X 7 with 10mm offset and are made by ROTA. The bolt pattern if 4 X 100 but "wobble bolts" worked great to allow for the minor difference in bolt pattern. Tires are 195 - 45 X 15 and the front fender liners had to be removed to clear them. The stock spacers are still needed or the tires will hit the spring landing cup on the strut at times. Otherwise there are no interference issues at all.

Very cool on the air cleaner but I do wonder how much cold air it brings in. I know the engine pulls cold air in from the sides and vents out the top. Have you done any testing on it?

Last edited:
No, my goal was to fabricate something simple and inexpensive while eliminating restrictions in the airbox. No doubt there are much more elegant designs , but it does seem to work well. I can certainly hear the carbs!

My ‘87 Bertone. Bought it in spring 2019 from a short-time owner in Palo Alto. He bought it from a friend, also in Palo Alto, who had inherited it from his father, who was a 25+ year owner. Found an old registration from 1988 behind the glovebox that indicates it had been in NorCal since new. It was very close to rust-free when I got it.

It was originally black. The son who inherited it put a matte black paint job on it. Summer of 2020, I had it painted Verde Chiaro, a ‘74 factory color. I also had the seats re-covered with custom seat covers. Put in a Bluetooth receiver.

F54A37C4-E9F3-4445-B9EB-D8B9CC5DA8A7.jpeg
61E53F35-DF12-425F-B09E-7C5689048C8D.jpeg
5EA162AE-4DD5-481A-AD6A-4D86EB670B8C.jpeg
17DFB898-C68C-4A25-9D21-26EAA8DFBBB5.jpeg

Back