Oh boy wheel bearing time, need pointer

Kevin Cozzo

True Classic
finally found which wheel was humming, jacked her up, and found rear left is a hair wobbly. I've read up up on how to do this and have a few questions
1) what size is that big ole axle nut, and what's the best way to get it off?, just put it in gear and set parking brake? Breaker bar and 1/2" socket handle, or monster impact?don't wanna damage anything
2)The bearing HAS to be pressed in yes? Can I use an old bearing and hammer? if so, anyone have an old bearing?
thanks in advance for any advice. Oh yeah, it's a 77, thanks Kevin

Suggestions

Since you have to remove the hub assembly any way. Do so before attempting to undo the Axle nut.

use two "spare" CV joint bolts threaded into the cup to attach the HUB to a vise. Then use a breaker bar with a cheater pipe to brake the nut loose.

once the nut is off, if your lucky the axles will seperate from the bearing with a few taps... if not, get the slide hammer and or puller out.

once the axle is out, beat the old bearing out with punch and hammer if you cant get a puller to do it..

now that the old bearing is out, disassemble it so that you have the outer race seperate and at least one inner race.

take a grinder to about 1/2 inch of the outside of the outer race so that it easliy slides into the hub without binding. smooth it a liitle bit with fine sand paper.

remove any corrosion inside the hub assembly, polish it even.

clean the Axle splines on both male and female surfaces to the point you could eat off of them.

reassembly

support the hub, level, on a block of wood. fit the new bearing and get it started with a few light taps. then place a block of hard wood over it and go to town with a BIG hammer, once the wood is flush, use the old outer bearing race (ground surface in) and block of wood to drive it home..

REAL IMPORTANT!

when you go to put the outer axle/hub back through the bearing you MUST support the inner race with the old inner race. (if you dont and you have to drive it through by force you WILL ruin the new bearing - ask me how I know)

I'm in Allen if you need a BIG hammer

Here is a link to the Fiat Manual

on bearing R&R.

http://www.socalx.com/xhelp/X1-9_443-05_44-19.pdf

This even looks to be on an early model, late models had a different bearing, and I don't recall all the seals etc when I took the left rear off my 79. Hmmm... maybe I am just blocking it out.

The axle nut should be 30mm, or a 1 13/16" socket will work as well. I used an impact wrench to do the job on the axle nut as well as the retaining ring. That will be a challenge for you as well.

Here are a couple links to my experience with the rear bearing on my 79. The first thread covers my ignorance of the job. :) The last picture shows the two ball joints that need to be separated to remove the pillar. Hitting the flat surface of the pillar near each joint with Fiat tool #BFH will do the job.

The second link covers the creation of a tool I made to deal with the rear retainers on late model Xs. You could probably fashion something similar for the early models. I worked with a hammer and punch for hours and could not budge that ring. Tore it up pretty bad with all my effort, the proper "style" of tool makes all the difference.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/12159/message/1117943231

http://www.network54.com/Forum/12159/message/1118811100

Good luck Kevin.

I'll have to do the same job

thesse days, olso i'll put new brake pads and rotors ......maybe i'll have perfect brakes then ..... i'll have to change brake and clutch cilinders too ....
wish me luck :)

Back