oil pan gasket problem 128 coupe 1100sl

ghostdancing

True Classic
i recently had the oil pan off for cleaning; when refitted with a new gasket (it's a gummy gasket, dont know the brand) + some silicon sealer the pan leaks..any advise\suggestion on how to get a good sealing?

So it is easy to bend the metal pan, and usually you will need to take a good look at it before putting it back on. Honestly I coat both sides of the gasket with grease. Forms a good seal and does not stick so in the future when you need to take it off again it all comes apart easily. Now, that said don't over tighten the pan. I think Fiat figured this out quickly and put those washers on each bolt to try a distribute the load a bit better, however they tend to disappear over the years. Take the pan back off, and put a straight edge on the mounting surface of the pan and see what you have. Let us know how it goes.

Probably best not to use silicone sealer on the gasket. But everyone has their own experience/preference :)
I usually run the gasket dry or with a bit of Hi-tack gasket sealant. They seal fine until the gasket starts to shrink and harden with age.

Checking pan flange straightness is good advise. I dealt with a similar leak on my 124 pushrod motor: cam cover wouldn't seal because the flange was slightly distorted. New cover with the same old gasket and it sealed up fine.

Be sure you are using a 128 gasket and not an X1/9 gasket. If I recall, the X gasket is thicker and has some "squish" to it since the cast aluminum pan is much more rigid than the sheet metal oil pan which uses a normal non-compressible gasket.

Be sure you are using a 128 gasket and not an X1/9 gasket. If I recall, the X gasket is thicker and has some "squish" to it since the cast aluminum pan is much more rigid than the sheet metal oil pan which uses a normal non-compressible gasket.
The other way around; The x1/9 gasket is a thin paper gasket, while the 128 (and others in the family with a steel pan) uses a thicker rubber gasket.

the job was carry out by the mechanic..the pan was slight distorted and he straightened it on the bench (he worked carefully with hammer, i was there in that moment); i purchased the gasket, it's a gummy soft and thick one, with some fibers included in the gum: it looked nice and not old or dryed; he tightened the screw in sequence (not cross pattern.. i would do the same) he used also black silicon gasket paste..he says the gasket was not good.. but i wasnt' there when he closed the pan and tightened the screws..i asked if it's necessary to buy a new pan (is not that expensive..), but he said not, and want try with a new gasket.. unfortunatelly i havent got a shed nor a system to lift the car, so was forced to have the job done by the shop..

next week will purchase a new gasket (corteco brand) on the bay and try again..

thanx guys for your inputs

Back