Oil pan swap in situ

carl

True Classic
Helping a buddy swap out his oil pan for one without a stripped drain plug hole. Car will be on a lift. Can the pan be removed/installed with the cross member in place or does it need to be removed?

Helping a buddy swap out his oil pan for one without a stripped drain plug hole. Car will be on a lift. Can the pan be removed/installed with the cross member in place or does it need to be removed?

I had to remove the crossmember to get to the last couple bolts at the back of the oil pan. I spent about 30 minutes trying to figure out a way to get at them with the crossmember in place and had no luck.

Removing the crossmember isn't that bad. Make sure you support the engine/transmission with a support bar or transmission jack.

I've never had to remove the cross member. Came out fairly easy the few times I've remove the pan in the car.

Use this, works like a champ!
https://www.pepboys.com/product/details/8328823/00020?quantity=1
65240-007.jpg

You just confirm my lack of faith in people from PA!

I assumed we would have to remove the support, not that big a deal actually.

You just confirm my lack of faith in people from PA!

I assumed we would have to remove the support, not that big a deal actually.

I'm not kidding, my car came with one, and it's held up nicely until this past week, when the "wing" part separated from the threaded rod as I was reinstalling it after an oil change. Pep Boys had 'em hanging on the rack in the oil change department, so picked up another and installed. When it was off, I took a close look at the threads on the oil pan, and like many I suppose, the threads looked somewhat abused, which is probably why the car had this type of aftermarket plug in the first place.

Did my lower mount today. As I recalled, the two rearward pan bolts are completely obscured by the crossmember. Can't get to them even with a universal socket/extension.

You can support the motor/transmission with a jack under the transmission, remove the motor mount, the lift the transmission to open up more room between oil pan and crossmember.

But I think that once you've gone to the trouble of supporting the tranny.... it's just as easy to remove the crossmember.

Back