Oil pump/distributor drive gear

ralfa101

Hello. I just rebuild a 903 motor with 127 cam for my 600D. After minimal miles, the gear on the distributor/oil pump shaft wore down as below. Wear is even, and the cam gear looks fine. Why did this happen? There was no slinger on the Marelli distributor. I'm wondering if oil is getting to the gears? Could the front cam bearing not be getting oil to drip on the gears? The engine has oil pressure but maybe I've got a main bearing that won't allow oil to the front bushing? I'm confused.

1659197220163.png

The front bush for the camshaft is fed direct from the pump and there is a groove around it so there would be heaps of oil. Did you insert the correct shaft that matches the camshaft? I have a 903cc camshaft in the engine I'm building at the moment. It's an 850 block and the drive shaft to the pump has an entirely different gear on it! I have had to dig out the 903cc shaft to match.

The shaft came with the motor, seemed to turn fine. Without the slinger on the distributor, there is some vertical play...wondering if that contributed. Waiting on a new gear. Thanks for the help.

I don't have a distributor on my engine. The hole is just capped off. The oil pump holds the shaft so the only play really I guess depends on the gasket thickness or whether there is a gasket or not.

I'm sure you have solved the problem but I just happened to have both shafts to hand today. The short one is from an 850 block, they are 5mm shorter. The long one is from a 903cc.
20220806_113215.jpg

Have the correct shaft. Going to pull the engine, disassemble and clean. I have to check the passage from the main to the cam bearing to make sure it is open, and I ordered a modified front cam bearing for better oiling. AAlso going to try turning the cam/oil pump/ distributor by hand before the timing chain goes on. Thanks for the comments!

Looking at the slant of the gear on the shaft, yours has the same slant from top right to bottom left as the shorter shaft...

Back